Advice on which truck to handle a Hallmark K2?

sourdough

Adventurer
1-1/2 years ago I was interested in a Hallmark and went to their shop. After a tour by the owner and we discussed trucks. He recommended a 1 ton gas, diesel if I was in a hurry. By the time I added the numbers, I realized I was in the lightly used Tiger Bengle RV range. A year later and I couldn't be happier. Go with a 1 Ton and get a diesel if you plan on driving in the mountains a lot.

This is all very helpful. I appreciate all of the comments. In my heart, I want to put the K2 on an F150, add air bags, leaf springs, and much more capable tires. My driveway will just barely fit the F150, so that is why I keep hoping it would work. However, obviously this is a big decision and I want to be safe. It is confusing to see so many 1/2 ton rigs with truck campers. But this has been very helpful and now I think a 1 ton is most prudent.

Sorry to kill the dream. I wanted to do the same thing. There are all kinds of people doing it, but they're usually horribly overloaded. Here's something I forgot to tell you about my truck. Yes the total payload was 1700 lbs. However, the real axle could only carry 1478 of that. The two rear rims could only carry 1678 of that! When you put a camper on a 6 1/2' bed (let alone my 5 1/2'), virtually all the added weight goes on the rear axle, tires, and rims. The other issue is brakes. I didn't want to find out what it's like to panic stop when you are 50% to 100% over the rated load capacity of the truck.

1-1/2 years ago I was interested in a Hallmark and went to their shop. After a tour by the owner and we discussed trucks. He recommended a 1 ton gas, diesel if I was in a hurry. By the time I added the numbers, I realized I was in the lightly used Tiger Bengle RV range. A year later and I couldn't be happier. Go with a 1 Ton and get a diesel if you plan on driving in the mountains a lot.

Dude! Don't be bring'n logic into this conversation. You're harsh'n my day, and kill'n the mojo. :sombrero:

I have that second picture of yours saved on my desktop. That was one of the photos that gave me the bug for a popup.

Cool, I had entered a couple of pictures into the Truck Camper Magazine calendar contest (ended up getting the cover with a different picture) Matt from Hallmark contacted me about using a couple for their website, and we're on the 1st page now, really honored by that. Need to get out and get more pictures.

If you're buying new, and have the ability to order, there is an option (at least with Ford) to have a 9999lbs GVWR for the truck, I believe for both 250s and 350s. That can help if you are in a state that registers by weight class. The trucks are the same, just with the "official" GVWR lowered to just under that threshold.

I had gone from a F150 supercab, to the F350 supercab. Still amazed at how much less room there is in the F350 cab. Like the shorter wheelbase, but the inside is a lot tighter.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
FYI, when looking at new, for the 9900 and 10000 GVWR, there is literally ZERO reason to go 1-ton

The trucks are the same, yet the 3/4 ton on paper has a higher payload, regardless of wheel base, for both the 9900 and 10k GVWR.

Tow ratings are identical for both 3/4 and 1-ton, of the same GVWR

This is 2017 SD

2017SDGVWR.jpg

chet6.7

Explorer
If you leave the camper on the truck full time,some states register the vehicle as an RV, you get cheaper plates.If you go diesel instead of gas,the diesel weighs more so take that into account.You can also add a bigger fuel tank to a diesel,and of course the extra fuel has weight.If you are going to be driving in the mountains the exhaust brake on the diesel is nice to have.There is pro and con to diesel,if you can drive a loaded truck in gas and diesel up and down a grade.

FYI, when looking at new, for the 9900 and 10000 GVWR, there is literally ZERO reason to go 1-ton

The trucks are the same, yet the 3/4 ton on paper has a higher payload, regardless of wheel base, for both the 9900 and 10k GVWR.

Tow ratings are identical for both 3/4 and 1-ton, of the same GVWR

This is 2017 SD

2017SDGVWR.jpg

Actually there are two reasons:
1. The rear axle is entirely different in the F350. It has a 1080 lb higher capacity.
2. The gas F350 has the same transmission as the F250/F350 diesel. The gas F250 has the lighter duty Torq-Shift G transmission.

MackTack

Lots of good info and I appreciate all of the replies. I would love to hear from the 1/2 ton crowd, specifically how your rig handles with 2000+lbs on it.
I understand modifications such as tires and airbags can be of help, but it would make me nervous knowing I was over payload. If you have a camper on a 1/2 ton, let us know the pros and cons and how you feel on the road with your rig.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Actually there are two reasons:
1. The rear axle is entirely different in the F350. It has a 1080 lb higher capacity.
2. The gas F350 has the same transmission as the F250/F350 diesel. The gas F250 has the lighter duty Torq-Shift G transmission.

Not that simple.

Rear axle in gasser SRW F250 and 350 are the same. Both receive a sterling 10.5

As for trans, that is true. But the differences are pretty well moot. It is also 2017+ specific right?
2011-2016 both used the same trans as I recall.
The 6R trans is incredible, and I've yet to hear anything bad said about either versions.

The 6.2 will NEVER see the torque levels that the 6.7 delivers.

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Lots of good info and I appreciate all of the replies. I would love to hear from the 1/2 ton crowd, specifically how your rig handles with 2000+lbs on it.
I understand modifications such as tires and airbags can be of help, but it would make me nervous knowing I was over payload. If you have a camper on a 1/2 ton, let us know the pros and cons and how you feel on the road with your rig.

Personally, until a half ton Ford is built with a full floating rear axle, Ill stick to 3/4 and 1-tons.

Not that simple.

Rear axle in gasser SRW F250 and 350 are the same. Both receive a sterling 10.75

As for trans, that is true. But the differences are pretty well moot. It is also 2017+ specific right?
2011-2016 both used the same trans as I recall.
The 6R trans is incredible, and I've yet to hear anything bad said about either versions.

The 6.2 will NEVER see the torque levels that the 6.7 delivers.

Here's the axle information from 2017:

Axle 1.JPG

Here's from another Ford document:
Axle F250.JPG

Axle F350.JPG

I really don't think they are the same axle.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Interesting. News to me.

I guess Ford has finally gotten tired of people saying the 3/4 and 1-ton are the same truck? :sombrero:

Pretty hard to justify it though, assuming the same GVWR, as the 1-ton has less payload.
And the slight axle/trans differences non doubt are at least part of the reason.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
So info on the new Ford Dana M275 is hard to come by.

But more than one source online claims that the in order to get a factory E-locker for the M275, you have to go with 3:55 gears.

With the sterling, in order to get the factory E-locker you get 3:73's

Certainly better, especially if you are going gasser (6.2) and are considering larger tires.

JCatt

You would probably be fine with a 3/4 ton gas but diesel will almost surely put you over GVWR with that camper. If you want diesel then 1 ton for sure. My 16 F250 CC 4x4 diesel has a payload capacity of less than 2500 lbs. Loaded out with the FWC on I'm very close to 10,000 lbs. Ford does have a heavy payload package for the F150 but not sure if many dealers actually stock them. I would bet any other 1/2 ton you will be way over.

ETA the 9900 GVWR F350 has got to be an oddball for states with funky rules. Normally most of them are 11,500 while the F250 are 10,000. Only reason to go with that 9900 would be local regulations or maybe insurance.

Last edited:
So info on the new Ford Dana M275 is hard to come by.

But more than one source online claims that the in order to get a factory E-locker for the M275, you have to go with 3:55 gears.

With the sterling, in order to get the factory E-locker you get 3:73's

Certainly better, especially if you are going gasser (6.2) and are considering larger tires.

Interesting... I have 3.73's with the E-locker. Maybe I'll have to crawl under there and see if I can get a number off it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles