Advice on which truck to handle a Hallmark K2?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Like I said, finding info for that new axle is tough.
The comment about 3:55s and E-locker was simply a comment I found in a quick search.

Also, I really doubt that there is even any aftermarket for it yet.

What year is your truck?

Peneumbra2

Badger Wrangler
Forget all this 3/4 and one ton stuff.

You need a nice new 6x6 Peterbilt (GVCW 68,000 lbs). Covers all your bases...

Like I said, finding info for that new axle is tough.
The comment about 3:55s and E-locker was simply a comment I found in a quick search.

Also, I really doubt that there is even any aftermarket for it yet.

What year is your truck?

It's a 2017. I noticed on the door post that it's a really late build for a 2017 (9/2017).

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
lol

Although it does sound like the e-locker might be available in more than just one gear ratio :)

I suppose if you were to run 36" tires, it would bring the final drive ratio back down close to 3.73 with "stock" tires. Funny thing is, I never found an F250 or F350 gas with the 4.30 axle.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I find the 6.2 with the 6-speed on 35's a great combo.

Plenty of grunt when you need it, as well as plenty of gearing to allow the revs to stay nice and low when you dont.

The 6.2 with 4:30s IMO would be begging for 40's :)

smlobx

Wanderer
I bought a Hallmark Everest which is very similar to the K2 but a couple of inches longer.

I have a one ton F-350 crew cab diesel and am very happy with my decision. One piece of information that is wrong on this thread is that the 250 and 350 are basically the same. The major difference is that the 250 has a new lighter duty transmission and the initial reports are not glowing. I would definitely go with the 350 based on that alone.

On thing that I haven't read is wether you are going with a 6.5 or 8 ft bed. I went with the 8 ft bed which I understand puts me in the minority but did it because it rides better and has a significantly larger fuel tank...

Just points to consider...but either way enjoy your new truck and Hallmark and be sure to post pics!

Here's one of mine..

Attachments

• IMG_0683.jpg
    IMG_0683.jpg
    569.5 KB · Views: 30
I bought a Hallmark Everest which is very similar to the K2 but a couple of inches longer.

I have a one ton F-350 crew cab diesel and am very happy with my decision. One piece of information that is wrong on this thread is that the 250 and 350 are basically the same. The major difference is that the 250 has a new lighter duty transmission and the initial reports are not glowing. I would definitely go with the 350 based on that alone.

On thing that I haven't read is wether you are going with a 6.5 or 8 ft bed. I went with the 8 ft bed which I understand puts me in the minority but did it because it rides better and has a significantly larger fuel tank...

Just points to consider...but either way enjoy your new truck and Hallmark and be sure to post pics!

Here's one of mine..

Nice truck smlobx. I went with the long bed too. I'm going to need all 49 gallons in that tank with the 6.2 gas. I'm slowly training myself to never look at the MPG display as I drive. Your truck doesn't even look like a long bed with that camper on it.

JCatt

Here's one of mine..

I believe thats only with the gas engine. The diesels should have the same trans. There are other differences though.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Any links with regards to not-so great reviews of the trans in the 3/4 ton?

I cannot imagine it making any bit of difference in the expo-crowd, as we are asking the trucks for payload capacity, not tow capacity.

I know the 6-speed benefits significantly from a tune.
The 10-speed should be no different, provided somebody has hacked the ECU yet.

mtnjp

Observer
We went longed and a diesel and glad we did. We have a northstar 850 which is coming in around 3k pounds fully loaded. The diesel power, payload and the exhaust brake were the big selling points. We had concerns with the longbed offroad but so far have been able to accommodate any issues we had ( a few more 3 point turns ). Got a smoking deal on the truck at Dennis Dillion in Idaho, 42k +fees.

2017 Ram 3500 CCLB 4x4 6.7/G56
2017 Northstar 850sc

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 21

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles