Advice on which truck to handle a Hallmark K2?

MackTack

I am considering the purchase of a Hallmark truck camper. The camper will be approximately 2000lbs wet. I have not owned a truck for over 15 years, and have no loyalty to any make. I see that some folks put campers on the F150 or Tundra, but the payload at least for the Tundra is well below 2000. Any advice would be appreciated. I am open to Ram/Ford/GM/Totota. Thanks in advance.

With 2000 lbs of camper, you're going to want something with at least 3000 capacity. That will put you in the 3/4 ton world at a minimum. I just sold my F150 to buy an F350. I found the F150 just couldn't do the job, even with something as light as 800 lbs. The problem is, all of the other stuff adds up really fast. When I did an analysis of what I typically carry, I realized I was going to need at least a 3000 lb capacity. Also, I occasionally tow something with a 300-400 lb tongue load. A 2017 F250 CC will carry 3200 to 3400 pounds of cargo (remember, people are part of the cargo). I decided to go all the way with an F350 that can handle 4400 lbs. I can go with a huge hard side if I would like.

MackTack

Thanks so much for the response. I agree in regards to 3/4 ton. I guess I am surprised that even with modifications (tires, air bags , leaf), that folks would feel confident putting a camper of this weight on a 1/2 ton. Did the F150 you mentioned have the heavy duty payload package?

I had a 2013 SuperCrew with the 5 1/2' bed. I absolutely loved the truck. It had the 5.0 V-8. I could get about 18 mpg average. Pulling a 2700 lb tent trailer, it was 14 to 15. The truck had a total payload of 1700 lbs. With the wife and I in it, you're left with 1400. With the tent trailer tongue weight, it was down to 1100. Add all the stuff we carried in the truck bed (extra water, tools, compressor, Engel refer, etc.), and it was down to 500.

The real problem came when I got the itch for a popup camper. I considered the FWC Hawk, probably the lightest you can find. A base Hawk has a dry weight of 1075 lbs. Add water and LPG and you're at 1260 lbs. Now, add the solar panel, leveling blocks, camp chairs, etc., I have in/on my tent trailer, and there's another 150 lbs or so. We're now up to 1410. As soon as the wife and I climb in, it just went over capacity. Oops, I forget that I'm going to need that 75 lbs of tools and compressor, the two 25 lb packs of clothes and survival gear we carry, the Zodi shower, the porti-potty, sleeping bags, extra water, food, utensils,.......... One day, I actually weighed everything we carry. I almost passed out when I saw the total. At best, we would be about 600 lbs overweight. Even worse, it's all on the rear axle. I knew there was no way the F150 was going to do the job. As a result, there is a gas guzzling (6.2L gas) F350 crew cab long bed in the driveway now. It can carry 4400 lbs. What a beast. It's 3' longer than the F150. Mileage? Don't even ask. There's a reason it comes with a 48 gallon tank. I know, you're wondering... unloaded, about 14.5 highway, and 11 in town. In both cases, driving like grandma.

MackTack

That's pretty funny, but I understand wholeheartedly and have to admit that my inner grandma would show up behind the wheel as well. I wonder if the F250 would suffice? In addition to the wet weight, I would want the ability to carry a couple of mountain bikes and a kayak. Toys and the gear needed adds up fast and before you can blink the payload has been compromised. The dry weight of most popups push over 1000. But we all put the appropriate options on and now wet we are at 2000+. I just don't understand how someone would feel comfy in a 1/2 ton.

Are you going with a single, super, or crew cab? That will make a difference on the cargo capacity. My notes say that a 17 F250 CC short bed 4x4 can carry 3450 lbs. The long bed 3230. A super cab short bed is 3560, and the long bed is 3490.

I waffled back and forth so many times on the decisions. Super cab vs crew cab, long bed vs. short. The cab decision came down to this truck being the only four seat vehicle we would have, as I was selling the F150 super crew. That, and I've always had crew cabs, so we're pretty much spoiled with all the space for "stuff". The bed decision was really tough. I finally decided I wanted space for an 8' camper.

An F250 probably would have done the job for my use, but there were a couple of other issues that tipped me to an F350. The F350 has a different rear axle with a 1000 lb higher rating, and the gas version comes with the same transmission as the diesel. The F250 gas has a lighter duty transmission. I figured if that transmission can handle 440hp and 925 ft/lbs of torque from the diesel, it should last forever with the 385hp and 430 ft/lbs out of the gas motor.

MTCK

Observer
In my opinion I’d go with a one ton gasser of your choice. I was very surprised when my cuchara equipped one ton went across the scale. With the wife, kid, dogs, gas, water, propane, beer etc etc it’s right about 10k. Heavy duty truck with a lighter camper makes for relaxed driving in my experience. Because light isn’t that light!

chet6.7

Explorer
For your purpose,I can't think of a reason to select a 2500 over a 3500,you will never regret the extra payload.

1 ton all the way, for the minimal $ over a 3/4t there's no reason. On the Ford's its mainly just a different, taller spring block, and maybe different overloads.

Love our K2 on a F350

Hopeless Diamond,

I have that second picture of yours saved on my desktop. That was one of the photos that gave me the bug for a popup.

I agree with all the other comments. If you can swing it, go 1 ton.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
1 ton all the way, for the minimal $ over a 3/4t there's no reason. On the Ford's its mainly just a different, taller spring block, and maybe different overloads.

There are a few reasons.

The 1-tons have a 10k+ GVWR, which may complicate registration and cost more.

Buying used, the availability of SRW 1-tons is an issue as well.
Far more 3/4 tons out there.

For us, it also had to be an extended cab. Even fewer of those in 1-tons.

All are reasons we wound up with the truck we did recently. 2011 F250, extended cab, long bed, gasser :ylsmoke:

SD0001.jpg

There are a few reasons.

The 1-tons have a 10k+ GVWR, which may complicate registration and cost more.

Buying used, the availability of SRW 1-tons is an issue as well.
Far more 3/4 tons out there.

For us, it also had to be an extended cab. Even fewer of those in 1-tons.

All are reasons we wound up with the truck we did recently. 2011 F250, extended cab, long bed, gasser :ylsmoke:

Nice truck. 1-ton can complicate the registration. Have a buddy in California that bought the 11.4 GVWR. He is getting reamed on the weight fee. Here in AZ, no problem. Finding a used 1-ton that is not totally beat to death is almost impossible, as they're mostly former work trucks. I bought new, and there were still only two to pick from in all of AZ. I really would have liked to go with the super cab, but we love the space in a crew. Hey, I figure it's only another 15", can be that bad, right? ...Ask me again when I'm out on the trail...

MackTack

This is all very helpful. I appreciate all of the comments. In my heart, I want to put the K2 on an F150, add air bags, leaf springs, and much more capable tires. My driveway will just barely fit the F150, so that is why I keep hoping it would work. However, obviously this is a big decision and I want to be safe. It is confusing to see so many 1/2 ton rigs with truck campers. But this has been very helpful and now I think a 1 ton is most prudent.

MackTack

This is all very helpful. I appreciate all of the comments. In my heart, I want to put the K2 on an F150, add air bags, leaf springs, and much more capable tires. My driveway will just barely fit the F150, so that is why I keep hoping it would work. However, obviously this is a big decision and I want to be safe. It is confusing to see so many 1/2 ton rigs with truck campers. But this has been very helpful and now I think a 1 ton is most prudent.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Nice truck. 1-ton can complicate the registration. Have a buddy in California that bought the 11.4 GVWR. He is getting reamed on the weight fee. Here in AZ, no problem. Finding a used 1-ton that is not totally beat to death is almost impossible, as they're mostly former work trucks. I bought new, and there were still only two to pick from in all of AZ. I really would have liked to go with the super cab, but we love the space in a crew. Hey, I figure it's only another 15", can be that bad, right? ...Ask me again when I'm out on the trail...

Besides the break-over angle, Im sure you will be fine.

These new Fords with the Super-60 front axle can turn incredibly tight.

Compared to our old leaf sprung 7.3, this new truck FEELS like a standard cab when turning.

SD00012.jpg

With regards to GVWRs, this may be of interest to the thread when comparing 3/4 ton and 1-ton rigs.

In the end, it all comes down to money. But this is how the feds classify vehicles.

Many states use this as a reference when classing and registering vehicles, but not all.

You can see why the guy with the 14k+ GVWR is getting hassled....

fotw707.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne