New Burb found -- 2500

rrflyer

Been looking for 4+ months now and finally found a burb I've been looking for.

Was looking to upgrade from a 4Runner for family of 5 plus A black lab.

Found a black 2013, 2500 suburban with 40,000 miles on it just 200 miles from home.

Pics later but excited to finally have one!

Matt_

Observer
Nice find!! I had to fly half way across the US to buy mine!

Awaiting pics.

Build plans?? :ylsmoke:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Whats the fascination with 2500 Suburabans?

Everyone seems to be fascinated with the 2500 Suburbans as the holy grail, why? People spend time and money to fly across the country to pay thousands more for a much heavier truck that gets worse miles per gallon, costs much more to fix when parts break, and not as reliable as the 1500 platform?

00-06 2500 cost $3k-5k more than same miles and condition 1500.
07-13 3500 cost $5-10k more than same miles and condition 1500.
I have always wanted a 2500 but I realized that I get 3-4 more miles per gallon in my 1500which is 600 less gallons per year: $1,800.
I can tow the same weight with 4.10 gears in 1500 as 2500 with 3.73.
Price of 2500 specific parts is 20-40% more that those of 1500.
Ground clearance is much lower in the 14bolt rear than the 10 blot.
2500s are 700-1,200 lbs heavier than 1500s.

It's more rare and much more capable on the street than the 1500 but not as good on the trail.

Is it just a premium that everyone is willing to pay for bragging rights of owning a less practical and capable vehicle?

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
It's the fact that they are more substantially upgraded in regards to brakes, front end, transmission, frame, motors which yields more payload and towing capacity plus better ability to be pushed hard with less fear of premature wear and failure. That's why I spent time seeking out my GMT800. The 1500 front end and tranny issues are well documented and I didn't want to deal with that. I also wanted to use mine for towing and having towed a good amount with a 1500, which tows pretty well itself, I didn't care for the brakes and I wanted more cushion with the tow rating to put less wear and tear on the vehicle. When we travel with our travel trailer and have to pull long grades in the mountains I am glad to have the extra capacity. The 1500's are an exceptional value and you can address any of the issues pretty readily but for me personally I just wanted to start with something that I didn't need to upgrade much.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Everyone seems to be fascinated with the 2500 Suburbans as the holy grail, why? People spend time and money to fly across the country to pay thousands more for a much heavier truck that gets worse miles per gallon, costs much more to fix when parts break, and not as reliable as the 1500 platform?

00-06 2500 cost $3k-5k more than same miles and condition 1500.
07-13 3500 cost $5-10k more than same miles and condition 1500.
I have always wanted a 2500 but I realized that I get 3-4 more miles per gallon in my 1500which is 600 less gallons per year: $1,800.
I can tow the same weight with 4.10 gears in 1500 as 2500 with 3.73.
Price of 2500 specific parts is 20-40% more that those of 1500.
Ground clearance is much lower in the 14bolt rear than the 10 blot.
2500s are 700-1,200 lbs heavier than 1500s.

It's more rare and much more capable on the street than the 1500 but not as good on the trail.

Is it just a premium that everyone is willing to pay for bragging rights of owning a less practical and capable vehicle?

Because some of us can actually afford a nicer rig that gets worse mpg instead of trying to get by with a cheap piece of crap. That's right, nobody really cares about your crapmobile that keeps breaking stuff but is so "reliable".

PGW

Observer
What is your basis for the 2500 being less reliable? All the GMT800 engines - 5.3, 6.0, 8.1 are all known for being exceptionally reliable with only a few minor issues to deal with. Just pick whatever power level you want. The transfer cases are the same apart from a different input shaft. 4L80E on the 2500's is much stronger than the 4L60E. Both the 9.5 and 10.5 2500 axle is way stronger than the 8.5 1500 axle. Brakes, suspension, steering parts are all bigger and stronger on the 2500. The 2500 is heavier (my 2003 Yukon XL 2500 4x4 8.1L weighed 6,640lbs when I bought it) but all that weight is down low and all in the chassis (the bodies are identical). I paid $8k for mine with 142k (I bought it based on condition, not miles), so its not like we are talking an $80k King Ranch Super Duty here.

rayra

Expedition Leader
brakes, transmission, tow capacity. Did I mention brakes?

2013? was it under $25k?

/got my '02 k1500 Z71 3yrs ago with 126k mi for $6000. Satisfied with it. When the trans does go, I'll be going with a 4L65E rebuild. A few years from now if I manage to move and start some new businesses that include a tandem axle trailered workshop, I'll be shopping for the 2500-series Sub or crew cab. I'll NEED that better hauling capacity and braking.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Because some of us can actually afford a nicer rig that gets worse mpg instead of trying to get by with a cheap piece of crap. That's right, nobody really cares about your crapmobile that keeps breaking stuff but is so "reliable".

Jeep-n-montero,

Ouch, sad but true my crapmobile does brake all the time but then again if I never left the pavement it wouldn't. And if you din't pay such a premium on your 2500 you would actually be able to afford to take it on trips off the pavement.

Cheers

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
What is your basis for the 2500 being less reliable? All the GMT800 engines - 5.3, 6.0, 8.1 are all known for being exceptionally reliable with only a few minor issues to deal with. Just pick whatever power level you want. The transfer cases are the same apart from a different input shaft. 4L80E on the 2500's is much stronger than the 4L60E. Both the 9.5 and 10.5 2500 axle is way stronger than the 8.5 1500 axle. Brakes, suspension, steering parts are all bigger and stronger on the 2500. The 2500 is heavier (my 2003 Yukon XL 2500 4x4 8.1L weighed 6,640lbs when I bought it) but all that weight is down low and all in the chassis (the bodies are identical). I paid $8k for mine with 142k (I bought it based on condition, not miles), so its not like we are talking an $80k King Ranch Super Duty here.

PGW,

I completely agree about the strength of tranny, front and rear diffs and steering components, brakes are the same with an exception of hydroboost, but no one here consistently gets a 2500 to pull a 8,000# trailer daily or drive around with 7people and 2,000# of gear day in and day out. Most of the 2500 spend their time in the driveway or as a daily commuter.

So this brings me back to the original question, why are people willing to pay such a premium for the capabilities that they will never use?

BTW, your 8.1 is a beast of a truck.

PGW

Observer
So this brings me back to the original question, why are people willing to pay such a premium for the capabilities that they will never use?

This is a universal thing. Lots of offroad-kitted Jeeps probably never see offroad, lots of people with HD diesel trucks probably don't need a diesel, most people don't need a 5+ bedroom mcmansion, nobody 'needs' steak or caviar, etc. Worrying about what other people do with their time/money/possessions is a waste of time.

I, in no way actually need an 8.1L truck, but I wanted one and I could afford one, so I bought one. It is by no means perfect and every vehicle has pros and cons. Its not my daily driver so it indeed spends most of the time in the driveway. But so I don't look like a wiener here are a few action pics.

At a mine in Nevada last November (btw I live on the Gulf of Mexico).
mine.jpg

On a Northern Colorado track in October that gradually eroded to nothing and I had to reverse up a steep, loose hill and then drive all the way back out.
trail1.jpg

Explorerinil

Observer
Been looking for 4+ months now and finally found a burb I've been looking for.

Was looking to upgrade from a 4Runner for family of 5 plus A black lab.

Found a black 2013, 2500 suburban with 40,000 miles on it just 200 miles from home.

Pics later but excited to finally have one!
Very very cool, hard to find them! You can still order them but fleet sales only. I would love to have one for my wife. There is a guy in my area with a newer 2500 suburban with a duramax Allison swap, looks all factory.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Jeep-n-montero,

Ouch, sad but true my crapmobile does brake all the time but then again if I never left the pavement it wouldn't. And if you din't pay such a premium on your 2500 you would actually be able to afford to take it on trips off the pavement.

Cheers

It goes on trips all the time, tows our $64k Lund to the lakes very nicely and gets me to my favorite hunting spots in comfort, got us to Maine and back on our road trip in October and averaged a whopping 13mpg. Like I said, some of us can afford to have toys and not just budget transportation. We also own 2 Monteros and a commuter car. Best thing is it's all paid for and we are about to pay cash for a place at our favorite lake. Only reason I bring any of this up is because you seem to be pretty good at thinking your 1500 burb is somehow superior whenever someone posts about their 2500, when it reality it is just a weak budget mobile. Yes, you have done a decent job setting it up, but please stop bragging about it every time someone posts about their 2500.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Very very cool, hard to find them! You can still order them but fleet sales only. I would love to have one for my wife. There is a guy in my area with a newer 2500 suburban with a duramax Allison swap, looks all factory.

Those Duraburbs are pretty sweet, almost picked one up when I was searching for our Yukon, but you have to drive a lot to justify the extra mpg and the much higher diesel prices lately.

Matt_

Observer
Everyone seems to be fascinated with the 2500 Suburbans as the holy grail, why?

Most of the owners I know are like me, families too large for a pickup truck and tow a travel trailer. Payload goes away really quick when you load up a large family and luggage.

The 1500 is nowhere near as reliable as the 2500, especially the GMT900 version with the newer L96 and 6L90E which is well renowned in the HD truck world .

For just a wheeling/beater rig I hear ya though.... get a 1500 for dirt cheap, swap in a 14bolt, and you're good to go.

FWIW my massive pig of an SUV gets better gas mileage than the Jeep Commander it replaced, but the Commander was fun offroad! A bit better tow capacity would have made it harder to swap it out for the 2500

rrflyer

Yup, this isn't an off-road beater rig.

This is a family hauler for travel, easy 4wd trails and fire roads, camper and horse hauling.

This one happened to be a couple thousand more than 1500s with similiar miles on it and it's a unique vehicle.

On the towing front, I've known and seen many people, my wife included, get pushed off the road by heavy trailers. So I really like the 3/4-1tons even though they are really overkill for a lot of things.

I also like trailer brakes on all trailers etc...

Load a suburban up with 5-6 people plus bags and then add a trailer and you'll be pushing max vehicle weight.

Our other car is a 3/4 ton Ram diesel that I hate....

I'm lucky in that I don't commute to work, almost all my driving is highway. It averaged 19.2 on the 200 mile drive home.

Mid to upper teen average and I'll be happy.

This one will get some decent tires, possibly a leveling kit.

Dual battery

My fridge in the back and it'll be trips with the kids, single camping with me and the dog during bird season, horse shows and camp grounds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz