Anyone Installed an Incinerator Toilet

pdavitt

Am designing a camper and ran across Incinerator Toilets. Has anyone installed one of these in their unit?
According to the literature they produce a completely sanitized product that you can dump anywhere.
They run on Propane, Natural Gas (forgive the pun), or Diesel.

I suppose it might be a little disconcerting to have the thing fire off when you are sitting on it, but a warm seat on a cold morning would be nice.

They really do exist. A company that makes them is Ecojohn, SR Series Waterless Incinerating Toilet.
I tried to post a link, but I don't have that permission.

Thanks for your input,

Pat

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
The small Eco-John only comes with a propane or natural gas burner. To get diesel, you gotta buy the 275#, 40" front to rear unit.

Either one uses an 8" I.D. chimney pipe and consumes a ton of fuel.

Hot seat is a non-issue with the Eco-John - the 1200F incinerator is in the back, not under the seat.

pdavitt

Thanks for your reply. Was looking at the SR5 which is still fairly large. Burns about a third of a pound of propane per "serious" flush.
Since it's just me and the dog, I can live with 1/3lb per day. Just trying to find an alternative to black tanks, composting, or canister.

Pat

Badmiker

I like the look of the SR12 due to the diesel option. After having gotten food poisoning at the same time as my wife while traveling in SE Asia the idea of a composting toilet has become less appealing. I've also had black water systems in the past and hate them. A cassette is not much better. Yes it is heavy, big, and expensive. However, we are looking at a ~20' habitat for the 2 of us so we can deal with a bit larger toilet room.

Badmiker

EcoJohn has come out with the "TinyJohn". It's pricey, but looking much more like a practical RV option.
Below is the URL:
http://www.ecojohn.com/ecojohn_tinyjohn.html

Pat
The main appeal of the SR12 is the diesel option, we are only going to have Diesel on-board for a fuel source. That and solar of course. Our cooking will be on induction, our heat will be via Diesel, our engine will be Diesel, our generator and hot water will be Diesel... having to carry propane just to flush the toilet is not appealing.

Badmiker

Fwiw, ”Incinolet” is another version whats electric fired. My buddy has one at a cabin. Being indoors, his wife loves it.
With poop, there is no free lunch. Expensive to operate, it requires special waxpaper liners per use and about 1.5 kWh per burn.
I used it once just for novelty seeing it operate. Its very nice construction.
There is also a company "Cinderella" but they both think that solar battery banks would get prohibitively large for RV use to support the pure electric system in an RV/XV type situation. If I could get an SR5 with Diesel I would jump on it.

RideBeside

I am working on a custom XV build and was thinking of the SR-5 (diesel) as well. I won't be to the bathroom stage for maybe 6 months so hopefully someone will chime in that has actually installed one of these in an expedition truck. My biggest concerns are 1) exhaust issues, I want to do a 90 degree turn and go out the top of the bathroom wall (instead of the roof membrane) and hope that won't cause burn box issues and 2) build quality in rugged use, is the burn box gonna get shaken to death on washboard roads.

I know cassette toilets are all the rage but they really seem like a hassle to me. Just not thrilled to be dumping/burying wet stuff on a regular basis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles