Is a charger/Inverter like the Xantrex Freedom HFS the way to go?

Fatboyz

Observer
I'm building my expedition camper using a Uhaul body mounted on a lifted Ford F550. I will have two 6v house batteries and 200 watts of solar power. The Xantrex unit, although pricey, seems to be simple and can charge the batteries quickly when plugged in to an outside power source and it automatically switches modes when outside 120V power is supplied. I'm not going to have much in the camper that will run off 110 volts other than some LED lights, phone chargers and the like. I would like to be able to run a kettle if I felt like it and would also like it to be large enough to run the fridge while driving the truck. I was thinking about the 2000 watt unit. I also want to buy one big enough that if I have additional power demands down the road I'll have surplus capacity. Any thoughts from anyone who has used one or thinks there's a better route to go I'd like to hear from you.
Cheers.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
If you'd be planning a good size inverter and a beefy charger anyway, I see no downside to using one of the combo units. And given adequate battery / alternator, a 2000 watt inverter is enough to run power tools if needed in a pinch when another source of power is unavailable.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Just make sure your batteries can handle the 55 amp charger.
And you'll likely need to double the solar array.

Joe917

Explorer
Your weak link is not the inverter, the battery bank is not big enough to run a kettle, you need to more than double it. Since a kettle is your only large load heat your water with propane.
Check out Magnum inverter/chargers as well.

Fatboyz

Observer
Your weak link is not the inverter, the battery bank is not big enough to run a kettle, you need to more than double it. Since a kettle is your only large load heat your water with propane.
Check out Magnum inverter/chargers as well.

Thanks for the input. Propane or wood stove for the kettle! Going to check out the Magnum brand. Thanks

chet6.7

Explorer
I went with the Magnum brand,mainly because one of the 12V gurus on this site uses it,and I could get it at Amazon.I have not installed it yet,so no opinion yet.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
An additional thought I just had, if you run an ACR in your system you'll be able to start your vehicle's motor to power larger appliances through your inverter instead of depleting the house batteries. And it will allow you to charge the battery bank while driving.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
An additional thought I just had, if you run an ACR in your system you'll be able to start your vehicle's motor to power larger appliances through your inverter instead of depleting the house batteries. And it will allow you to charge the battery bank while driving.

Agreed. Nothing wrong with running a kettle or something power-hungry off an inverter if it's only needed every once in a while. Just fire up the engine for more power and let it do its thing.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Thanks Chet, Magnum is $2600.00 on Amazon, Xantrex is $1100.00.

Somewhere around here is (was?) Selling a nice Samlex 2000w sine wave inverter/charger (unused I think) for $900.

If no one else buys it in the next month or two, I'm gonna snag it.

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I have a Xantrex sine wave inverter charger (3000W) that is 12 years old and has only required replacing one of the cooling fans (so far). I've heard good things about the newer Magnum units and less good about the newer Xantrex units, so would probably look closely at the Magnum offerings if I were shopping today.

Fatboyz

Observer

What is an ACR?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne