Waterproofing?

rehammer81

So I've been researching RTTs. Probably over analyzing at this point to be honest. How big of a deal is the difference between waterproof coating, like it seems the large majority use, and impregnated waterproofing? The only tent I have actually seen specifically state they use impregnated waterproofing is Gordie Gear. I'm trying to figure out where my price point is going to be. I know it isn't going to be at the Eezi Awn level. I did find a Howling Moon with annex for $2300. Otherwise I think I'm going to fall somewhere around the 23zero, Treeline, HIT, Gordie Gear new ballpark.

tarditi

Explorer
They should all be waterproof - they are tents, and tentage needs periodic re-treatment of seams, but the fabric should shed water just fine. I've never seen a RTT that requires a rain fly.

rehammer81

They should all be waterproof - they are tents, and tentage needs periodic re-treatment of seams, but the fabric should shed water just fine. I've never seen a RTT that requires a rain fly.
I know they are all waterproof but the question is how much does the means by which the manufacturer accomplishes that matter. I see lots of people say impregnation process is better than the coating method. Why? Does it last longer and/or work better? So much so that the increased price for those tents is worth it?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

dcg141

Adventurer
Getting any hard info from RTT companies is not easy. But from being in here condensation seems to be a much bigger issue than canvas that leaks. I've never seen in here where someone was complaining of a leaking RTT. Probably the tents from SA are of a better build quality but right now as far as I know the only one available in the US is Eezi-Awn.

TanCam

The impregnation process means the waterproofing solution is applied during the construction of the material. Coating method would be applied after the material is completed. Both are more than adequate.

mvmtmkr

Researching the same right now for a trailer setup - although might go RTT, but I found a great military trailer that's been customized and redone so I may opt for that.

Anyway, I'd be curious to hear if you've made progress on the research. I'm looking at the $2-3k range and need 4person 4season. Haven't done my full research yet, but 23Zero looks legit so far, and Tepui is a well known brand.

rehammer81

Researching the same right now for a trailer setup - although might go RTT, but I found a great military trailer that's been customized and redone so I may opt for that.

Anyway, I'd be curious to hear if you've made progress on the research. I'm looking at the $2-3k range and need 4person 4season. Haven't done my full research yet, but 23Zero looks legit so far, and Tepui is a well known brand.
I've gathered info on quite a few RTTs in that price range. Right now I'm leaning towards Hinterlant (HIT) Tents. If you don't need the stargazer roof they seem really nice and well built in that price point.

The features leaning me that way:
-Alloy/honeycomb base
-400gsm canvas main tent
-1" frame poles
-3" mattress
-Included annex
-Included shoe pockets
-1200D PVC travel cover (mine will live on my truck a lot of the time in the AZ sun so heavier duty the better)

All the others I have looked at have combinations of those things and even some additional features (stargazer) but none have all of them. I want this thing to last so I am looking at items that seem like they would contribute to durability (canvas weight, pole size, cover weight, etc). I don't know though. Kind of getting paralysis by analysis at this point.

* I also liked that HIT offers free shipping in the lower 48 which mostly balances out slightly cheaper options like 23Zero if you will have to get it shipped to you.

mvmtmkr

Great info, thanks for sharing. looking at HIT now.

One of the challenges for me is I want a huge tent - the Sydney from 23Zero that I'm leaning towards is like 87"x96" sleeping area. Done my fair share of backpacking in semi-ultralight small tents, and since I don't have to carry this thing on my back, i'm splurging. Plus we have a 6mon old baby and likely at least 1 more kid in the future, so, planning ahead here.

I really like the heavier material of the HIT, especially considering we're spending $2.5-3k on these things, but I think 23Zero will have to be good enough due to my size constraints. 72x96 just won't work with 1 kid and likely another in 3-4 yrs...

Let me know if you've come across any other brands with oversized sleeping areas larger than 72x96.

Thanks man!
Adam

rehammer81

Great info, thanks for sharing. looking at HIT now.

One of the challenges for me is I want a huge tent - the Sydney from 23Zero that I'm leaning towards is like 87"x96" sleeping area. Done my fair share of backpacking in semi-ultralight small tents, and since I don't have to carry this thing on my back, i'm splurging. Plus we have a 6mon old baby and likely at least 1 more kid in the future, so, planning ahead here.

I really like the heavier material of the HIT, especially considering we're spending $2.5-3k on these things, but I think 23Zero will have to be good enough due to my size constraints. 72x96 just won't work with 1 kid and likely another in 3-4 yrs...

Let me know if you've come across any other brands with oversized sleeping areas larger than 72x96.

Thanks man!
Adam
I think for the mansion tent you are probably looking at either the 23Zero or CVT Denali Summit. The CVT Summit line comes with heavier 380gsm fabric and the upgraded alloy/honeycomb base. I believe I saw somewhere that either Tepui or CVT were having some issues with their original bases in those super big models. Probably addressed with the upgraded base. Doesn't look like Tepui even offers the big dog tent anymore.

I'll add that I demoed a 23Zero Litchfield on a Turtleback Trailer for 11 days this summer. Rained on us just about every day and I really had no complaints about the tent. It stayed dry and we were very comfortable. No glaring issues arose over those 11 days.

Last edited:

mvmtmkr

ya just found the CVT one earlier when doing some final 'just to be safe' research. Looks like 23zero comes with an anti-condensation mat under the tent mattress, CVT does not and sells it for like $350. +1 for 23Zero

I'm going to check setup/breakdown videos online for each though so I can get an idea for ease of use.

Leaning towards the 23Zero at this point and will probably pull the trigger in the next few days...

Just gotta decide which trailer to buy to mount it on...definitely not gonna go drop $10k on some of these fully built on brand name ones...so we'll see how this goes.

rehammer81

I ultimately want a trailer setup but I'm also not willing to pay the crazy prices the commercial offerings want. Some skilled buddies and me can easily build one exactly how I want functionally for probably half the price at most. Probably won't be as refined but that's fine. For now I'm configuring my truck with a bed rack to carry the RTT as a stop gap until I can build the trailer. That way I can still get out in comfort sooner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles