Dodge 3/4t tires-Toyo M55 or BFG KO2

Dalko43

Explorer
BFG AT are known for issues on heavy trucks and especially late model Rams. Go Toyo and don't look back.

^This.

Go check out Thuren's technical articles on the Dodge/Ram suspensions and steering, specifically the issues with death wobble. There are number of contributing factors to suspension and steering problems, a big one being tire selection. The article notes the BFG KO2 as specific tires to avoid. https://www.thurenfabrication.com/tech/death-wobble-in-depth.html

Granted the newer Ram's and Ford's have much better suspension and steering system designs than those of years past, but still I think tires require careful consideration for the 3/4 ton's and up.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Its interesting that they say that about the dodges and dw since thats been my exact opposite experience. My dodge likes the BFG AT's. DW was worst with the Michelins. Coopers are about the only tire I haven't tried yet. Maybe next time.

HOBBE$

2006 Power Wagon

I'm running 35" 12.50 Toyo AT-IIs on my Power Wagon, replaced a set of MTs in the same size. Taller sidewall is generally better offroad. I have 275-70-18 AT-IIs on my Tundra, would much prefer 285s, but previous owner installed them just before he sold me the truck.

Last October, I purchased a 2006 Power Wagon w/ 33,000 miles. It came w/ OEM BFG KOs LT285/70R17s. Do your 35" Toyo AT-IIs rub? I want a taller tire. I was thinking of a LT315/70R17 but is not available w/ this tire? Perhaps a LT305/70/R17?IMG_1183.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1069.jpg
    IMG_1069.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1070.jpg
    IMG_1070.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 2006 PW -02.jpg
    2006 PW -02.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 2006 PW -04.jpg
    2006 PW -04.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 2006 PW -01.jpg
    2006 PW -01.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1693A.jpg
    IMG_1693A.jpg
    602.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Do your 35" Toyo AT-IIs rub?
The short answer is no. I had a set of 35" Toyo MTs that left a bare spot on the lower control arms at full lock, but nothing that you could feel through the steering wheel. The ATs seem to be just a hair smaller, and I see no signs of further rubbing. Next set of Toyos will probably be RTs.

Almost all 3G PWs can run 35" tires on factory wheels without rubbing and some can run 37s with no or minor rubbing. Go back through the oooold posts on the PW Forum and there will be a lot of discussion. Bottom line is that 35s are easy on a 3G and will work on some 4Gs.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I've been told by numerous PW owners that BFG AT's don't work well with the platform. I was considering the Falken Wildpeak MT01's, but after reading about another full-size owners issues with them coming apart in short order on a narrow wheel leaves me concerned. I am currently running Toyo Open Country RT's on the Super Duty and I can easily say that they are hands down the best tires I've ever owned. My only concern with running them on the PW is the extra weight and of course the expense, they are aren't exactly an affordable tire. I wish the BFG KM3's were out already, I'd probably give them a go.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
My only concern with running them on the PW is the extra weight and of course the expense, they are aren't exactly an affordable tire. I wish the BFG KM3's were out already, I'd probably give them a go.

The Toyos are heavy, but maybe that's part of why they work so well. Why take a chance on KM3s if Toyos are the answer? I have Nitto Grapplers on another truck, and they are a good tire but don't seem to wear as well as the Toyos. I'd be OK with BFGs on a lighter truck like a Tacoma, but I won't even use them anymore on a full-size half-ton that needs to haul anything.

Big Ern

For 3/4 ton Rams (especially the diesels) I would stick with Toyos or Cooper. With the Toyos, they have you covered pretty well between the AT2, CT (for mtn snowflake), RT, and MT. I have run RT's, which I thought were a pretty good compromise tire i.e. good at most stuff, but not great at anything. Running the MT's now, which are great offroad and in the the mud, but they are quite a bit noisy and rougher ride (albeit pretty amazing for an MT tire). Next tire, will either be the AT2 or back to an RT. With the amount of highway driving I do to get to the dirt, the MT isn't worth the trade-offs.

(note: I run 285/75/18 tires)

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
With the amount of highway driving I do to get to the dirt, the MT isn't worth the trade-offs.
Same conclusion I reached on my 35" MTs. But they were surprisingly quiet at highway speeds and way better than expected in loose sand. When my AT-IIs wear out, I'll probably try a set of RTs.

PV Hiker

Observer
All great information, thanks...

Today I looked at Toyo Open Country A/T II and Cooper Discovery A/T3 and noted (by the salesman) that they both have 2 ply sidewalls.

So I have swayed my focus upon the Cooper Discovery S/T MAXX. They have a 3 ply sidewall, have reports that they are good in gravel/rock bruising, handles well in mud and snow. They do have the raised snow flake rating. They are a heavier tire that is a cross between a mud and all terrain. Yea we all spend lots of highway miles just getting to the off road adventures where a hybrid seems logical. They have a 18.5/32 tread depth.
Size I settled upon 285/70/R17 over stock 265/65/R17 that is wider and is 1 inch taller. That will help support more load at a lower air pressure.
Dealer can only adjust diameter 1/2 inch over stock in the computer. After market tools to trick the computer are available but at a cost. May not even bother.
That might be a better solution than the Toyo M-55 for my driving style. After all the previous owner drove the White Rim trail with stock highway tires. They all look like fine tires and all would do ok, just hard to spend money without finding information and your opinions. Thanks all!

Big Ern

The S/T Maxx is supposed to be a great tire. I would try a set next go around if they made it in a 285/75/18 (for some reason I like taller, skinnier tires). I spend some time in the snow (Sierras/Utah/Wyo) and the mtn snowflake is a nice bonus. Maybe they will expand the size offerings in the future. Keep us posted on how they perform.

PV Hiker

Observer
Thanks, They are available here through Discount Tire. Never dealt with them but will give them a try. It will be a few weeks until they are purchased.

Explorerinil

Observer
I've been told by numerous PW owners that BFG AT's don't work well with the platform. I was considering the Falken Wildpeak MT01's, but after reading about another full-size owners issues with them coming apart in short order on a narrow wheel leaves me concerned. I am currently running Toyo Open Country RT's on the Super Duty and I can easily say that they are hands down the best tires I've ever owned. My only concern with running them on the PW is the extra weight and of course the expense, they are aren't exactly an affordable tire. I wish the BFG KM3's were out already, I'd probably give them a go.
The Toyo rt in 37inch for 17 inch rims seam to balance out well. I have a set that replaced at2 toyos. I have blasted down fire roads, hauled, towed and pulled a 10 k trailer through a frozen corn field, no complaints at all. I would run them or any other Toyo tire. They do decent in snow, mud and on ice, I can't say enough about them. FYI I run 40 front 35 rear per carli spec and have found them wearing perfectly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94