Dodge 3/4t tires-Toyo M55 or BFG KO2

PV Hiker

Observer
P-rated Toyo AT2s are 2-ply sidewall

All LT rated Toyo AT2s are 3-ply IIRC

Really.... you can't trust salespeople that sell the tires to give you factual information... and we were discussing "E" rated tires for price estimates.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
We are talking about actual ply construction. Not ply rating.

The LT Toyo AT2 has a 6 ply tread, and 3-ply sidewall construction, last I checked.

That's regard less of ply rating.

PV Hiker

Observer
LT tires with: “C” load range have a 6-ply rating, “D” have a 8-ply rating, “E” have a 10-ply rating,"F" have a 12-ply rating.

https://www.toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open-country-at-ii-on-off-road-all-terrain-tires

That is the total ply the tire has, but it does not show what is the tread and what is the sidewall construction. Very difficult to find that info on manufactures web info. You just about need to read it yourself on the actual tire.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Please stand by....

I have two trucks in the driveway right now, both wearing AT2's

And they read differently....

Ill post up some photos soon

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yep, the plot thickens.

here are two different tires....

285/75R18 Toyo AT2 "extreme" (load E) load rating of 4080lbs per tire

These are brand new, as of a few months ago.

7-ply tread, 3-ply sidewall

28575r18.jpg

265/75r16 Toyo AT2 (load E) load rating of 3415lbs per tire

These are older tires (about 3 years old)

6-ply tread, 2-ply sidewall

26575r16.jpg

PV Hiker

Observer
Thank you Kenny for posting those two pictures. Next week I'll have a chance to pay Discount tire and les schwab a visit.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Your welcome.

I really don't know what to make of it.

Either the older tires were indeed all 2-ply, and the new are all 3-ply, or it has 100% to do with sizing and perhaps the "extreme" versions of the tire.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
I'm guessing it's a function of size and maybe the extreme version having some structural differences (such as maybe the extra sidewall ply). It might be as simple as "this is what it took to get the correct weight / speed rating for a Load Range E tire in this size"

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My Toyo AT2's in a 35" don't rub anywhere on stock arms with stock rims.
I check the lower arms occasionally. Nothing to date.
My friend's '05 is running AEV 17 x 8.5. 6.0 backspacing. Really good offset for clearance.

MrKen

I have the M55 of my truck, 2nd set on now, 8 years old and ready to replace, I like the tire. I choose M55 because I wanted the least chance of a tire issue, I also carry a camper. I'm ready for 4 more and will likely use the M55 again, 285/75/16. Great load rating, not loud with this truck, or at least I don't notice. I haven't had a problem with these, so its hard to change to something else. lots of back roads, no rock crawling though. Expensive tire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles