Dodge 3/4t tires-Toyo M55 or BFG KO2

PV Hiker

Observer
I've purchased a 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 crew cab 4x4 Gasser engine with a flatbed FWC Hawk popup (from Durango aka Steve). It has the stock tires. I drive paved roads to get to everywhere and then dirt, gravel and deep sand roads. Mud if I have to. Live in a snow area so driving through snow is important. I air down when necessary to maintain traction and smoother ride.

I have used BFG AllTerrians for years and have the KO2 on the Toyota 4 Runner and have been pleased. A tech guru friend is pushing hard for me to put the Toyo M55 tires on the Dodge. In my research I noted that these Toyo will be a firmer ride and produce road noise at 15 – 35 mph. I can agree with him that they are a bullet proof tire for dirt road usage and will reduce flats. Sounds good for the Alaskan highway gravel road travels. Tire size is LT265/70 R17 E rated.

So question is, only comparing the Toyo M55 and BFG KO2 on heavy full size truck with camper, who has experience with these two and your opinions overall. Take a leap and make my friend happy who has analyzed them to death or stay with what I know with the BFG. Thanks.
This is worthless without a image. From Steve on his White rim trip. Engine is a gasser model.

Attachments

• pat flatbed hawk.jpg
    pat flatbed hawk.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I considered the m55 on my previous truck and learned they are very stiff even when aired down, so they do not conform to rocks as easily as the ko2's.

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
M55 are popular with mining companies because they hold up so well. I tried a set on the Chevy (285-75-16) and found them a little stiff, a little noisy, but good looking on the truck. I was not real happy with how they wore. However, driving up and down the mountain tends to take it's toll on tires so I can't really blame the tire too much. Went with Cooper Discoverers and have liked them better than the M55.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The M-55 is a very stout tire. I had them on my 2nd gen Dodge and aside from a little "singing" @ 45-65mph they were great. Coming from some BFG KO's they were much easier to balance with zero road vibes which I always had with the BFG's even with roadforce balancing.
You might consider some Toyo CT's or Nitto Exo Grapplers. Quieter than the M-55's with the 3 snowflake designation. Tough sidewalls like every Toyo I've owned.
Either one is plenty strong for your Cummins. Regarding stiff,that's the result of a very strong sidewall.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Isnt exactly a proper comparison.

If comparing, you should be comparing the Toyo M55 to the MFG mud tire.

Or if looking at ATs, it should be a comparison between the Toyo AT2 and the BFG KO2

That said, since going to the Toyo AT2, Im 100% impressed and satisfied.
Until these tires give me a good reason to not like them, Im sticking to them.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I have gone thru a bunch of BFGs over the years on several trucks. Switched to Toyos when I got a Power Wagon, don't forsee ever going back to BFGs. Have had my own problems with BFGs, and Dodge issued a TSB on their OEM BFG ATs regarding death wobble on the 2500s.

Tire size is LT265/70 R17 E rated.

If you're going to buy new Toyos, why not go with the 285s? That truck has plenty of brakes and torque for that tire.

Last edited:

PV Hiker

Observer
Thanks for all your insights. Did not know about the TSB and death wobble issue. Good reason to go Toyo. I'll look into the other Toyo line of tires. Not sure about the 285's, will have to check on the spacing around the flat bed boxes and underside of the deck.

My internet explorer 11 died tonight and was in a endless error loop, but down loaded and installed Google Chrome, works just fine.

PV Hiker

Observer
Been looking and reviewing and down to a couple of choices for my Ram (gas engine).

cooper discoverer S/T maxx
Toyo open country A/T II

tire size still the same at LT265/70/R17 stock. Thought about 285 but only they both only come in "70" and has a taller sidewall, where a "65" would keep the diameter the same and have a slightly wider foot print to help airing down.

The Cooper discovery A/T III does show a size LT285/65/R17 but leaning toward the other two tires.

Really this tire needs to be aired way down for deep sand driving and be able to handle the weight of the truck and camper and all the personal stuff. Side wall needs to be tough. Thanks for your opinions.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I'm running 35" 12.50 Toyo AT-IIs on my Power Wagon, replaced a set of MTs in the same size. Taller sidewall is generally better offroad. I have 275-70-18 AT-IIs on my Tundra, would much prefer 285s, but previous owner installed them just before he sold me the truck.

Explorerinil

Observer
Nice truck. I would not consider the bfg, do a search on some forums and you will see plenty of problems, espically on ram trucks. I personally will never run a set on anything, there are so many better choices out there. Did you look at the Toyo open country rt?

txflyyaker

Observer
I have a 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 crewcab ctd and run 285/75/17 Cooper STMAXX. IMO the best E class tire ever made for the heavier trucks. <4 oz to ballance them. No vibration, little road noise and excellent wear

Monroe

Monroe
A timely thread and thanks to all that have contributed.

I have a 15 F250 4X4 super cab gasser with a metal cap and modest interior build. It might be a little over a thousand pounds loaded for travel.

I'm in the midwest but travel frequently to the southwest and would like air down off road in certain situations.

I'll be needing to replace tires at least and possibly wheels in the near future.

I may be way off base with my thinking as this is my first truck, but would a smaller diameter wheel with the same height or slightly taller tire be something I should be looking at?

The current tire is a Michelin LT 275 / 70R 18 E rated. I've no provision for carrying a spare any place other than the stock location at this time and don't know how much larger I can go and still use that location. Oh, and being the long wheel base beast that this is, I'm certainly not doing any serious off roading.

Thanks in advance for any information in my continuing education.

Steve

Edit: I was just reading another thread on this and have realized I should read a lot more on this before asking questions and taking up anyone's time, thanks

Last edited:

comptiger5000

Adventurer
A 275/70R18 already has a decent bit of sidewall. You could probably go down to 17s, but I know anything smaller won't fit over the brakes. Even 17s may or may not on the new trucks (I'm not sure).

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Shorter sidewalls will provide better handling on pavement and more driver feedback through the steering wheel. Taller sidewalls will work better off road and in aired down situations, but with less driver feedback on pavement. I think the handling question is a moot point on a Super Duty super cab. Taller sidewall will give a more comfortable ride because of added flex. If ground clearance is a potential issue a taller overall tire will be better, especially with a very long wheelbase. Make sure you get a truck tire, and nothing less than Load Range E for that beast. If the 18" wheels on your truck are part of a trim package on a truck that normally comes from the factory with 17s, then you are probably OK with 17s. If 17s will clear your brakes, I'd vote for 17s with a taller tire. I still like Toyos for that truck, avoid BFGs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles