Primary Diesel-fuel Filter- Touareg

Alfissimo

Ok. Need some advice here. Not sure where to place this post but here it is.

I am looking at 2 systems, Fuel Manager Standyne FM100 filter kit (3-30 micron) with water sensor or MANN+HUMMEL PRE-LINE kits (4-6 micron, maybe a 10 in there).

1: https://www.dieselcare.com.au/servic...ation-systems/

2: https://catalog.mann-filter.com/medi...en_PreLine.pdf

I like both kits but the MANN is a pretty neat system and looks well made. I could most likely use a different filter on it as the filters than come with are 4-6 micron. I think I prefer 30 micron before feed fuel pump to main filter but I suppose it is not needed. I feel that a 4-6 micron (checking on if they have a 30 micron or I can fit another brand 30 micron) would fill up quickly as a pre-filter but they are fairly large so it may take a bit, maybe about half an interval to factory.

Both will have water sensors. Fuel manager, I'd go with a flashlube sensor.

Anyone using these? Thoughts on pre-filter micron?

Thanks

Alfissimo

No. I should have probably noted the year, 2010 TDI. I think the V10 had more filters and filter with water separator. 2010 has the typical fine mesh basket in tank, then replaceable primary which should be about 10 microns. I am looking for more protection and water removal. Quality control in the US with diesel is not the best and I think that bad fuel and water (along with low lubricity) are what's causing massive HPFP failures. Luckily I fill up at Pacific Pride which have 30 micron filters on their pumps.

Last edited:

Theprofessional

Silent Footfalls
I would suspect such failures were more often then not caused by improper maintenance and small errors, like not getting the o-rings right on the primary filter. Beyond that, I wouldn't have any other input. Cheers! And good luck

Alfissimo

Possibly but it is known in the US diesel is not used much and tanks are not maintained well. No filters on pumps. Most stations are indep. owned. So who knows! Like I said, I prefer to use Pacific Pride (Carter Oil in Flagstaff) as they have 30 micron filters on all pumps. When do they change them? Not sure but they have to change them regularly so they won't have a liability issue with expensive truck engines. If I do fill up it will be at a truck stop that is maintained better and fuel is more fresh. Maintenance could be an issue but most of the owners of the touareg tend to be fairly heavier in the pockets to take car of simple fuel filter changes. The main issue with HPFP is contaminates and fuel filter clogging. 1 bad fill up can clog a filter in a matter of minutes. This is why i carry an extra filter with me. A few guys in AU have fitted a Fuel Manager 30 micron as primary along with MANN Provent (for other reasons).

I am just looking for more info on filters for a pre. 30 micron or lower. MANN preline kits are around 4-6 or maybe 10 from what I hear. I have to call MANN back today to get the true info. I will report back what they tell me.

thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles