The evolving build

Onegen

Update:

Suspension is finally on. I'll provide pictures soon but I could not lift the front myself. I took it to a shop that claimed to be able to lift and align in a couple hours. Unfortunately they were only able to lift maybe an inch from stock which isnt ideal since I'll be adding a bumper shortly. I do enjoy the ride so far and I'll be taking a trip to Jtree this weekend to test her out. Looks like I'll need to take toyotech's advice and find a shop with a spring compressor. Hopefully next week.

Any product recommendations for rear lockers and winches?
Any fun trails out in Joshua Tree?

Loubaru

Adventurer
Probably stupid question but sounds like you have to remove the coilover every timer you want to adjust the ride height?

Kpack

Adventurer
Or at least compress the springs. Watching Icon's instructional video they make it seem like it's no big to just get a spanner wrench on there quickly adjust the ride height. My experience has been anything but easy. At this point I'm going to leave them as is until I send them into get rebuilt, then I'll have them set the ride height a little higher.

Loubaru

Adventurer
Thanks, figured as much, with all of the force on the collar it definitely seems like you have to compress the springs somehow. Can you get compressors in there with everything together?

Onegen

Thanks, figured as much, with all of the force on the collar it definitely seems like you have to compress the springs somehow. Can you get compressors in there with everything together?

Maybe.. I just found a shop that said they would give it a shot with the coilovers still on but they were unsure on if it will be successful. Backup plan is to remove and use the spring compressor. My mistake with the first shop was not making sure they had the compressor, lesson learned.

Onegen

How she currently sits

Attachments

• 20180405_151135.jpg
    20180405_151135.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 68
  • 20180405_151156.jpg
    20180405_151156.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 60
Not sure if this is advised but I have had success adjusting by jacking up the tire and getting in there with some elbow grease and a spanner wrench. Just a thought...

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Depends on what springs you have. Icon uses 600/650 springs so it maybe a little easier to do. I have 700lbs springs and even the $1000 spring compressor struggled to compress it lol.

You can do it with a spanner wrench and a long bar attached to it but it's very slow going and sucks. Lucky I have access to a compressor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kpack

Adventurer
You can do it with a spanner wrench and a long bar attached to it but it's very slow going and sucks. Lucky I have access to a compressor

This is how I adjusted mine and it is truly terrible. I worry that it might damage the threads on the shock body though so I stopped. I have 700lbs springs.

Onegen

Not sure if this is advised but I have had success adjusting by jacking up the tire and getting in there with some elbow grease and a spanner wrench. Just a thought...
Yeah gave it a shot along with the first shop. not much luck and the guy kinda damaged the holes you place the spanner in. It was also difficult to get access to that set screw. I'm going to be with the next shop while they attempt it for quality control I guess ha. It also was painfully slow.

Onegen

Had a brake line failure unfortunately before making it to joshua tree. I was backing into a parking spot when I turned the wheel fully to the right and met the coil with the banjo bolt. I'm thinking the threads got stripped and are allowing a leak when pressure is applied to the brakes. Going with a slightly shorter bolt but not sure that will fix the problem with the coils and steering. Any advice on ways to remedy this or will I always not be able to turn them full lock?

Onegen

Found a crack in the line where the eye connects to the banjo bolt. Contacts coil at full steering lock. Any recommendations that would solve this problem?

Attachments

• 20180410_092559.jpg
    20180410_092559.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 38

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Found a crack in the line where the eye connects to the banjo bolt. Contacts coil at full steering lock. Any recommendations that would solve this problem?

I had custom alignment done. Pushing my caster well pass the factory spec. I wanna say I had it at 2.5 positive caster if not more. Just tell the tech to max the caster into the positive even if it goes pass the spec as long as they keep your camber within spec. My banjo bolt head is shorter compared to yours.
fde44060334b2764af92e994c5de550e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles