The evolving build

Onegen

I've been creeping for a while on this and want to finally jump in. I got the green light from the other half to build a overland worthy truck. My goal is to take this truck on adventures from Baja to Canada and everywhere in between. I want this truck to hold surfboards, bikes, climbing gear and get to those hard to reach places. I would like to get input and advice from anyone that cares to add their 2 cents.

My template is a 2001 Toyota Tundra SR5 AC with 147,000 miles. I've had it for ten years with not much use. The previous owner added Bilstein 5100s, simple AAL and airbags. The overland bug has got ahold of me after some recent trips.

On my to do list so far is:
-Suspension, possibly Fox 2.5 front w/ remote resi 2.0 rear
-Camburg upper control arm
-Roof rack, possibly frontrunneroutfitters
-Bumpers front and rear
-Stereo and navigation
-truck bed platform
-rear locker

Please give your opinion and talk trash if needed. This plan is evolving so opinions are welcome. I hope this can be entertaining too20180130_173318.jpg

Last edited:

Kpack

Adventurer
Onegen - With the miles on the truck, be aware that there are some maintenance things you may need to address as well. Any idea when the timing belt was done last, if at all? Every 90K is what is recommended. Lower ball joints would be another thing to inspect and replace if necessary. Tie rod ends and steering rack are others.

-I don't have any experience with Fox, so I can't help there. I have Icon's and I like them, though they are a bit stiff.
-I really like my Camburg upper arms. Nice and quiet, increases caster quite a bit, and allows way more travel. I wish they had a cover over the top of the uniball though because water and junk pools there. With the winter and all the stuff they put on the roads the ball gets gross. I need to keep it cleaner.
-There aren't many bumpers for 1st gens, so options are limited. Addicted Offroad makes some, Iron Bull (huge), and my favorite Brute Force Fab. I have a front bumper from them and will eventually get a rear bumper as well. The build quality is excellent and it functions very well.
-Lots of options available for nav and sound. There are some nice double-din units that are highly capable, but they can be pricey.
-There are two options for rear lockers for 1st gens now: ARB air locker, and Harrop e-locker. I'd love an e-locker but they are quite a bit more expensive.

I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this build! There are a lot of 1st gen's on here....surprising considering how little aftermarket support there is for this truck.

-Kevin

viperdriver

Observer
Onegen - With the miles on the truck, be aware that there are some maintenance things you may need to address as well. Any idea when the timing belt was done last, if at all? Every 90K is what is recommended. Lower ball joints would be another thing to inspect and replace if necessary. Tie rod ends and steering rack are others.

-I don't have any experience with Fox, so I can't help there. I have Icon's and I like them, though they are a bit stiff.
-I really like my Camburg upper arms. Nice and quiet, increases caster quite a bit, and allows way more travel. I wish they had a cover over the top of the uniball though because water and junk pools there. With the winter and all the stuff they put on the roads the ball gets gross. I need to keep it cleaner.
-There aren't many bumpers for 1st gens, so options are limited. Addicted Offroad makes some, Iron Bull (huge), and my favorite Brute Force Fab. I have a front bumper from them and will eventually get a rear bumper as well. The build quality is excellent and it functions very well.
-Lots of options available for nav and sound. There are some nice double-din units that are highly capable, but they can be pricey.
-There are two options for rear lockers for 1st gens now: ARB air locker, and Harrop e-locker. I'd love an e-locker but they are quite a bit more expensive.

I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this build! There are a lot of 1st gen's on here....surprising considering how little aftermarket support there is for this truck.

-Kevin

I agree with everything Kevin said. Ive dealt with the dreaded LBJ failure and let me tell you, it sucks. So make sure those are good and make sure all bolts are torqued to spec. I also advise using ALL OEM parts for ball joints, tie rods, etc. I also had an issue with my upper ball joint failing after I replaced with MOOG and wheel fell off again, but thats a whole other story.

Billy at BruteForce makes excellent products. I also have his front bumper and a rear bumper on order right now. Im running the OME front and rear with Icon 3 pack AAL so I dont know much about Fox, but I love my OME. Good luck and cant wait to see what you do to this guy.

phsycle

Adventurer
I am wondering where you think the truck falls short as it currently sits. You mentioned you were planning to use it to get to surf spots, biking/climbing trailheads. I would venture to guess you could get to 99% of these places with a stock truck.

Just remember, lifts, huge tires, and other mods may be good to tackle tough trails. But they will take away from on-road performance--ride quality, handling, braking, acceleration, MPG, etc. I wouldn't just go bolting stuff on, just because that's what most people on here do. Stock truck is very capable. I would baseline it and drive it to see if there are any places you see that needs attention.

Onegen

-Kevin

Thanks for the heads up. I'm gathering parts for those fixes now. Ill have the shop do the timing belt but I'll be swapping out the lower ball joints tie rod ends at the same time as uca/suspension. Unfortunately I dont have the space or tools to get it done fast so I have to use my buddies garage.

Onegen

-Viperdriver

Yeah that sounds rough I'm trying to take a systematic approach but also knock items out as soon as possible. Thanks for the input too

Onegen

I am wondering where you think the truck falls short as it currently sits. You mentioned you were planning to use it to get to surf spots, biking/climbing trailheads. I would venture to guess you could get to 99% of these places with a stock truck.

Just remember, lifts, huge tires, and other mods may be good to tackle tough trails. But they will take away from on-road performance--ride quality, handling, braking, acceleration, MPG, etc. I wouldn't just go bolting stuff on, just because that's what most people on here do. Stock truck is very capable. I would baseline it and drive it to see if there are any places you see that needs attention.

You're absolutely right and I do enjoy putting it to the test as stock and get surprised on how well she does. My reasoning for new bumpers is because I got rear ended by some lady with minor damage but she paid me cash for the quote I provided. Not a necessity but why not and she is kinda helping me out I guess. I'm also getting the tire swingout on the rear bumper to interfere with anybody trying to pop the back window. The canopy has a poor locking mechanism and this might just help.
-The current 5100s are getting rusted and squeaking. I know I can go the cheap route with replacing these but this will be my splurge item. I anticipate more weight and want something to handle some unpredictable mexico roads. I dont plan on lifting it any higher than it currently sits and keeping the tires the same. I may have painted the picture of big tires and big lift but that wont be the case, I dont live in bakersfield haha.
-Thanks again for the input

phsycle

Adventurer
You're absolutely right and I do enjoy putting it to the test as stock and get surprised on how well she does. My reasoning for new bumpers is because I got rear ended by some lady with minor damage but she paid me cash for the quote I provided. Not a necessity but why not and she is kinda helping me out I guess. I'm also getting the tire swingout on the rear bumper to interfere with anybody trying to pop the back window. The canopy has a poor locking mechanism and this might just help.
-The current 5100s are getting rusted and squeaking. I know I can go the cheap route with replacing these but this will be my splurge item. I anticipate more weight and want something to handle some unpredictable mexico roads. I dont plan on lifting it any higher than it currently sits and keeping the tires the same. I may have painted the picture of big tires and big lift but that wont be the case, I dont live in bakersfield haha.
-Thanks again for the input

You're going to spend $2,000+ on a rear swingout bumper because of a poor locking mechanism? There has to be a lock you could install for much cheaper than that!
I would leave the bumpers alone (now you don't have to worry about getting them dinged up), change out the shocks, and get some good A/T tires. Put the rest towards gas and supplies. That's what I'd do anyway. Have fun.

llcoleg

That's kinda my thought with my tundra. I would like a winch and suspension to support it to get me out of any trouble I can get into. Onegen, what are the Air Bags for? Are you towing?

Onegen

That's kinda my thought with my tundra. I would like a winch and suspension to support it to get me out of any trouble I can get into. Onegen, what are the Air Bags for? Are you towing?

The guy I bought it from wanted to haul a boat that he never bought. Im going to remove them shortly

Onegen

-Kevin

Last week installed
-new lower ball joints
-brake rotors and pads
-camburg uca
-cv axle replacement and alignment

-Steering rack assembly had some play so I swapped out bolts and bushings for tighter fit.
-Tie rod ends are still good
-I got some quotes from local shops for timing belt and water pump replacement, getting that done next week.

Trip to Valley of the Moon was fun but did not take photos unfortunately. We were on a time crunch on the way out so we could rock climb before sunset. Had to leave early morning(5am) due to the girlfriend getting too cold. Strong winds, darkness, and rain made exiting the area interesting. Couple tricky spots but eventually made it. Next purchases are going to be rear locker and lighting.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online