Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Suggestions on where to Move to??

Outside the gates of Glacier National Park in Montana
    Being a 3rd generation pilot and explorer, visited every state and all but one national park as well by age of 15, most states 10 or more times. Grew up in the 70s in San Diego at my "Parents flight school" moved to Cabo San Lucas in 1980 after high school, blew out So. Cal in the late 80's to Seattle Wa. Built and delivered 550+ 747-400 Boeing jumbo jets, had places in Germany, Japan, Italy all at the same time. Gave it all up after 9/11. Came to the FLATHEAD valley just outside he gates of Glacier Nat park here in Montana 15 yrs ago to raise my kids. Best thing I ever did there's a reason Montana's motto is? The last best place. Biggest lakes, biggest mountains, best fishing, off roding, best neighbors, 2 big ski resorts, best cops.... pulled over many times and no tickets. 3 million folks came here last summer for glacier national park and only for 3 months. Doesn't get to cold or too much snow. You can still build a house without a building permit? No sales tax, hardly a state income tax? Live and let live mentality and nost everyone hates the idea of gov't control or influence.
    Needless to say It don't suck.
    That's coning from someone who's done the baja 1000 60+ times, explored Alaska and Australia and most places in between.
    90% of Montana is on the wrong side of the mountains. Too cold too barren.
    Lastly only 60 miles from the Canadian border, 2 hrs from Missoula and 3.5 hrs yo Spokane Wa.

As someone who grew up in Idaho and still lives here, I do not like the influx of people. They all ***** about where they came from and then move here. We are slowly becoming where they moved from. It’s frustrating for me but I don’t blame those people. I’ve been exploring this state for almost 40 years and have found a lot cool places with maps and hours and years of looking around before google searches made things easy. It’s tough to give good advice to someone who is considering moving here to offer Jeep tours. I can’t speak for everyone but for me, I like being able to head out to where ever and not see people. Not sure I want a newcomer with a stack of internet info showing a bunch of other people quiet places. No offense. It’s a struggle though because we need more people to see wild and open places so they give a **** about protecting them.

I used to tell everyone how great I think this place is but now I just say, if you believe the hype, move here and check it out. Plenty to explore and enjoy. Just don’t ask me for good directions. Finding those places the old fashioned way is part of the adventure and reward. I’d hate to deprive someone of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    As someone who grew up in Idaho and still lives here, I do not like the influx of people. They all ***** about where they came from and then move here. We are slowly becoming where they moved from. It’s frustrating for me but I don’t blame those people. I’ve been exploring this state for almost 40 years and have found a lot cool places with maps and hours and years of looking around before google searches made things easy. It’s tough to give good advice to someone who is considering moving here to offer Jeep tours. I can’t speak for everyone but for me, I like being able to head out to where ever and not see people. Not sure I want a newcomer with a stack of internet info showing a bunch of other people quiet places. No offense. It’s a struggle though because we need more people to see wild and open places so they give a **** about protecting them.

I used to tell everyone how great I think this place is but now I just say, if you believe the hype, move here and check it out. Plenty to explore and enjoy. Just don’t ask me for good directions. Finding those places the old fashioned way is part of the adventure and reward. I’d hate to deprive someone of that.
    As a Wyoming native who spent significant time in Colorado I understand your sentiments completely. Over the years I watched Colorado change before my eyes to the point I hardly recognize it, the front range in particular. These days I dont even enjoy going down there to visit friends and family. To now see the same changes creeping into Wyoming scares the daylights out of me, at least our brutal winters and lack of economic diversity keep things moving at a slow pace, but then again that has its own drawbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gildnerb View Post
    Great suggestions so far, keep em coming!
    I'll be looking for any sort of logistics or supply chain jobs, but I'm also down for whatever I can get. The dream would be opening a Jeep tour business one day

I will most likely end up road tripping around the US in the next year or so as I do have some cash saved up. The plan is to quit, backpack Asia for ~6 months, and then head back and live the dream. Who knows, maybe I'll end up in Portland ME
    Maine you say? I live 40 min from Portland and the ocean and 40 min from the white mountains of NH (Mt Washington). Portland has great food and craft beers. Once you get a little bit away from the city the housing market is reasonable too. Bought a 3 bedroom house, 2.5 acres, garage and pool for 163k.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The Seattle area can be REALLY good for what you are looking for. If you go an hour east or north of the city you will be in more of a rural setting while still being within reach of every amenity you can think of. It has everything. Ski resorts, lakes, coastal beaches, forests, mountain roads, plains, wetlands, alpine forests, sand dunes, lift-access mountain biking, rivers for kayaking or rafting, etc. You name it, it's here and within a 2-hour drive.

The plus side is the economy here is very strong and diverse with a mix of manufacturing, tech, biotech, and the resulting customer service jobs that supports the region.

The weather is also pretty temperate. Summers are between 70-90 while winter is around 30-50 degrees. If you go further into Eastern Washington the temperatures go further out on the extremes but it's manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by HighPlains View Post
    As a Wyoming native who spent significant time in Colorado I understand your sentiments completely. Over the years I watched Colorado change before my eyes to the point I hardly recognize it, the front range in particular. These days I dont even enjoy going down there to visit friends and family. To now see the same changes creeping into Wyoming scares the daylights out of me, at least our brutal winters and lack of economic diversity keep things moving at a slow pace, but then again that has its own drawbacks.
    I can’t believe how much Colorado has changed in the past 10 or so years. We used to go from Laramie to Fort Collins at least once a month when I was younger. And then In college we’d always go down for concerts or events in Denver. My girlfriend just had an interview for a job in the Glenwood/Carbondale area and even that had such a fake feel to it, we both couldn’t wait to get back up to the Tetons.

On that note, has anyone spent a significant amount of time in the Ketchum/Sun Valley area? We might be moving there at the end of this ski season.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234