Any James Baroud Horizon Vision Users?

concretejungle

Adventurer
i've wondered the same thing. You never hear anything about their fabric fold over tent model. I've always thought it was very interesting.

Jeepvkk

i've wondered the same thing. You never hear anything about their fabric fold over tent model. I've always thought it was very interesting.
There is an EP two part review which is interesting and a glowing report. Let me know if you haven't seen that and need a pointer. The advantage of it seems to be the ease of setup strut assisted opening/closing and easier cover usage. The no rain-rly makes set up far quicker. However I was wondering whether the lack of rain fly has disadvantages in that there is no protection from water in rain getting in and out or with the windows open. The ease of setup and dismantling is very attractive however.

towee

I used one for 2 years just bought an alu cab rtt. The horizon vision was a terrific soft sided folding tent if you have any specific questions I would be happy to answer. I used an abused mine it's compact, light, easy to set up and well made. I think Barroud's covers for their soft tents are the best out there.

I will eventually get around to putting mine up for sale.

Jeepvkk

I used one for 2 years just bought an alu cab rtt. The horizon vision was a terrific soft sided folding tent if you have any specific questions I would be happy to answer. I used an abused mine it's compact, light, easy to set up and well made. I think Barroud's covers for their soft tents are the best out there.

I will eventually get around to putting mine up for sale.

Cool to hear from a user. I do have a few questions.

Did you have issues with condensation at all? How about the fact that in a downpour there is no protection a fly offers to the inside can get wet? I think those are the only 2 potential downsides I've heard of with the tent.

Also:
How well does the solar fan work?
Are you able to get any led lights routed inside?

Please ping me if you do decide to sell although I plan to buy a tent in the next few months.

thanks

towee

No solar fan or lights in the soft fold over models. Only remember condensation being really bad once so I would say no real issues. I'm going to describe this poorly and a picture would help but there is a protective mat that clips in and protects the ceiling.

Exposure is an issue just like any rtt that doesn't have any type of vestibule or coverage over the entry. I have no experience with or have even seen their other foldover tent in person but it looks like it may solve that problem might be something to consider if the exposed entry is a deal breaker and for a lot of people it is. I like the fact that entry to the tent is at the foot of it you just learn to get in and out quickly in bad weather to each his own. Speaking of that my only true gripe of the tent is I hated the zippers on the doors I was never smart enough to figure them out.

Jeepvkk

No solar fan or lights in the soft fold over models. Only remember condensation being really bad once so I would say no real issues. I'm going to describe this poorly and a picture would help but there is a protective mat that clips in and protects the ceiling.

Exposure is an issue just like any rtt that doesn't have any type of vestibule or coverage over the entry. I have no experience with or have even seen their other foldover tent in person but it looks like it may solve that problem might be something to consider if the exposed entry is a deal breaker and for a lot of people it is. I like the fact that entry to the tent is at the foot of it you just learn to get in and out quickly in bad weather to each his own. Speaking of that my only true gripe of the tent is I hated the zippers on the doors I was never smart enough to figure them out.

Thanks for the info!

Perhaps having a small tarp on the inside protecting the mattress that is wiped down may solve the rain issue.

Maybe the solar fan is a new addition since it's on the product page.

http://www.jamesbaroudusa.com/shop/soft-shell-tents/horizon-vision/

concretejungle

Adventurer
I think JB has zipper issues on all their doors... meaning, there's a ton of zippers and it's way over complicated... throw in the velcro bottom and i would say they need to return to the drawing board.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
I think JB has zipper issues on all their doors... meaning, there's a ton of zippers and it's way over complicated... throw in the velcro bottom and i would say they need to return to the drawing board.

Never actually had someone complain of the extra windows and ventilation... :ugh:

towee

The soft tents have the same Velcro bottom on each door. Windows have single zippers. The Velcro never really bothered me the zippers on the doors did.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
On hard-shell tents, the three entry doors have velcro on the bottom part of the door, and a zipper on each side. While I feel a zipper on the bottom would offer a tighter fit, it would be more work to connect the two zipper halves each time you wanted to close the door, and it would make it a bit more difficult to pass any wires (or whatever else you may wish) through the door, while keeping it as closed as possible.

Basically, it's a good solution.

The windows all have a single zipper on the inside of the tent which opens or closes the solid-material window coverings. Unzipping them exposes the bug net and lets airflow in/out. Single zipper, nothing complicated.

Also that area of velcro is contacted by the upper lid's seal and would most likely wear out a zipper when shut and on corrugation. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles