Planning Alaska trip- Pop up Camper or RTT? General planning.

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
Hey guys,

In the early stages of planning a trip to Prudhoe bay for September, and the first thing I need to figure out is the sleeping situation... I'm liking the 4wheel campers pop up's but for two reasons i'm also considering a RTT- use for the money, and payload.

- I don't really feel like spending the 15k for one for just this trip, and I won't use it a ton after that- Does anyone rent this type of camper?
- Second, my truck is a 2017 F150 (6.5' bed) with a payload of 2120lbs. I can of course add airbags to help, but by my math i'll have about 2500lbs of gear in total (two people+camper+gear+supplies, and the truck has extra weight on it already (10 ply's, double thickness spray liner etc) and that's really pushing it for a half ton, even as capable as they are.

I just finished reading the two bob's ohio-prudhoe bay tr and there route is very similar to mine, except i'm starting in Canada already, so I lop off half the driving.

Being bear country, combined with the weather and such, would the camper be the best bet? Anyone done this trip and care to chime in>

Davidtatum

Hey, I live up I Alaska ☺️
RTT would be good, other than putting it away wet. Rain is likely up here in the summer. Wouldn't worry too much about bears, keep food sealed and sleep up on top of the truck, good to go.
But, sleeping platform would be awesome in a bed canopy. Just make sure it's carpet inside, don't wanna be waking up showered in your own breath condensation. Any other AK questions, just holla

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Hey guys,

In the early stages of planning a trip to Prudhoe bay for September, and the first thing I need to figure out is the sleeping situation... I'm liking the 4wheel campers pop up's but for two reasons i'm also considering a RTT- use for the money, and payload.

- I don't really feel like spending the 15k for one for just this trip, and I won't use it a ton after that- Does anyone rent this type of camper?
- Second, my truck is a 2017 F150 (6.5' bed) with a payload of 2120lbs. I can of course add airbags to help, but by my math i'll have about 2500lbs of gear in total (two people+camper+gear+supplies, and the truck has extra weight on it already (10 ply's, double thickness spray liner etc) and that's really pushing it for a half ton, even as capable as they are.

I just finished reading the two bob's ohio-prudhoe bay tr and there route is very similar to mine, except i'm starting in Canada already, so I lop off half the driving.

Being bear country, combined with the weather and such, would the camper be the best bet? Anyone done this trip and care to chime in>

McCarthy,

Whatever you chose to go with will make a trip of a lifetime. I have done this journey three times already, once in a 95 Pathfinder with a buddy, and had a bed in the back seat so one of us drove the other slept, it worked great we ended covering 12,500 miles in 22 days.

8QEzhXO.jpg

2uazcGS.jpg

Last two trips my wife wanted something more cozy for living and sleeping arrangements. I have setup a tent in Alaska cold, wind and rain, making a RTT absolutely not an option especially with little kids. I wanted a traditional pop-up camper that was stripped down to just two beds and a dining area. After looking at a couple cheap but crappy condition campers, my wife asked me what I would get if money was no object and I would keep whatever we get for several decades, without skipping a beat I said a hard sided pop-up. She made me get a hard sided A-Frame pop-up.

2008 Chalet Arrowhead, 1,200lbs empty, has way more bells and whistles that we will ever need such as AC, heat, running water, stove, fridge and cassette toilet. I did an axle over-under conversion, put 29x10" tires and 35k miles later we still use it regularly. Tow's easy, could go anywhere the Suburban went before I put 37's on the truck.

KBnETPF.jpg

Lake Mead AZ

ru7doyp.jpg

Homer Spit, AK

bcrlg2m.jpg

Some random campground in the Yukon.

Hope this helps, and show us what you decide to get as well as the adventure.

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
Thanks guys!

That was the other option I was considering, but I wasn't sure travel trailers were sturdy enough for this type of travel? If they are... My choice would be about a 20 foot unit... Dual axles for safety and all the comforts of home.

Does anyone make a TT capable of this?

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
Can't buy a travel trailer without that stuff anyway. And who wouldn't want running water and a comfy bed? Seriously.

Clutch

<---Pass
Your going to Alaska.

Do you really need "All the comforts of Home"????

Can't buy a travel trailer without that stuff anyway. And who wouldn't want running water and a comfy bed? Seriously.

On a trip that long, who wouldn't want to be comfortable?

I have tent camped, and slept in the back of pickups under a shell for years and years. Now getting older with all the aches and pains left-over from being a reckless youth... A TT or small RV sure would be nice.

Seems like every TT I have ever seen has been of poor build quality, even the spendy ones. Several of my friends have converted a 7X12 enclosed contractor trailer into campers, as they are built a little better and can take more abuse going down washboard roads.

As for rentals, Cruise America rents them down here not sure in Canada...pretty sure the truck comes with it...which is not a bad idea...means you wouldn't be beating up your own.

Since you're considering a TT, do you really need a popup?

https://www.cruiseamerica.com/rent/our_vehicles/truck_camper.aspx

t17-01.jpg

Place here that also rents vans.

https://www.wandervans.com/

Found some Canada rentals:

http://www.fraserway.com/rentals/vehicles/truck-camper

https://www.cruisecanada.com/rent/our_vehicles/truck_camper.aspx

http://www.canada-rv-rentals.com/campertruck_rental.php

Last edited:

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
I'm going to use my own truck as a base for the trip, taking a rental vehicle in that remote of an area... Well, we all know how people treat rentals lol.

I wouldn't put a full on camper on a half ton, they are brutally over loaded with them. The pop up is the max... My truck's rated to tow 12,500 lbs, but only ~2100 of payload.

The research i've been doing is telling me that toy hauler TT's are generally built sturdier, and that would make sense. They also have built in aux fuel tanks which is nice!

fitt

We went last July here's our rig
30ef1e97189f14fcf84f41086bd1acc4.jpg

Most of the rental places won't let you go on the Dalton Hwy or some of the 2 tracks that were our favorite parts of the trip. Take a good amount of tools,air compressor,tire patch kit,some spare parts for your truck.
4d89b8cfa1f06e505dda7292759a3b11.jpg

The pop up camper was the best way to go, saw lots of big truck campers but they were bouncing all over the place on the rough roads and couldn't get to some of the great camping spots that we had

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clutch

<---Pass
I'm going to use my own truck as a base for the trip, taking a rental vehicle in that remote of an area... Well, we all know how people treat rentals lol.

ha ha! well that is the whole point of taking a rental, go beat on someone else's equipment. ;)

I wouldn't put a full on camper on a half ton, they are brutally over loaded with them. The pop up is the max... My truck's rated to tow 12,500 lbs, but only ~2100 of payload.

The research i've been doing is telling me that toy hauler TT's are generally built sturdier, and that would make sense. They also have built in aux fuel tanks which is nice!

*thumbs-up*

Oh, I wasn't suggesting on putting a hard side on your truck...wondering if renting one would be ok though.

How long do you plan on going for?

parkkitchings

Adventurer
I've been to Alaska several times and whatever you go in you'll love the trip. Don't blow through BC on the way up as it's just as good. I've got a FWC that I wouldn't be without. I've had a RTT before and in my opinion it doesn't come close to the FWC but I'm sure others will disagree. Granted, if you're only planning on using it for this one trip the FWC would be a major expenditure. If you're interested I've got lots of posts on my trip up to Alaska, Yukon and spots in BC. http://nowheretobetour.blogspot.com/2015/10/mccarthy-valdez-alaska.html Good luck with what ever rig you decide on and have fun! Hopefully, you'll run into lots of these guys. Main reason I love it up there is to watch and photograph the Grizzlies.

KatmaiBearNix%20%2813%20of%204%29-L.jpg

I'd go with a popup slide in camper. Might check with rvshare I saw a few pop up slide in campers on their website available for rent. A van would be another great option if you can find a 4x4 camper van to rent.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
I've been to Alaska several times and whatever you go in you'll love the trip. Don't blow through BC on the way up as it's just as good. I've got a FWC that I wouldn't be without. I've had a RTT before and in my opinion it doesn't come close to the FWC but I'm sure others will disagree. Granted, if you're only planning on using it for this one trip the FWC would be a major expenditure. If you're interested I've got lots of posts on my trip up to Alaska, Yukon and spots in BC. http://nowheretobetour.blogspot.com/2015/10/mccarthy-valdez-alaska.html Good luck with what ever rig you decide on and have fun! Hopefully, you'll run into lots of these guys. Main reason I love it up there is to watch and photograph the Grizzlies.

KatmaiBearNix%20%2813%20of%204%29-L.jpg

Man, am I glad I happened upon this thread. Thank you for the link to your blog. After a 5 month wait my Wife and I took possession of our new Hawk a few weeks ago. We plan on getting out as much as possible, and will be heading north on our 2.5-3 week summer holiday this July. For as long as I can remember I've wanted to explore the northern reaches of my own Country. We've been planning this particular trip for a couple years now, and meandering north to Inuvik. With the opening of the new road to Tuk, our plans were set for this upcoming July.

It was in the planning for this trip that we decided to look more closely at our set-up, look even more closely at where we see ourselves wanting to travel and explore in the future, switch directions a little, sell our Xterra and rooftop tent, and purchase the Tundra and Four Wheel Camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles