Water System: Faucet vs. Sprayers

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Hey gang,

I'm in the midst of redesigning my fresh water system in the van. For a long time, I ran with a Valterra tank and a manual Rocket pump. Simple, and worked pretty well for our needs, but I'm looking to add an electric pump and I've got questions.

For those of you who have a sprayer-head attached to your cold-water system, do you have a flow-control/on-off valve of some sort between the pump and sprayer? Or do you just go from pump to spray head? I've seen a few photos that seem to indicate some people have just the spray head, but I'd be worried about dribbling or outright leaking if the "valve" built into the head of the sprayer wasn't 100%.

The other option is to use one of the compact folding faucets, but given that I plan to mount the water outlet near the slider-door of the van (as with my previous system), I'm not sure if that'll be easier or harder to use.
8TPe25-Q5XVT8wGkmEf06ULNfUSLUn_Rg8WDEHb_3Qcbnvr-HPfzgrT-0HxO5fzzz0THl8esT7zEefnwHF2-Rhvl6qA3BhIZFksdUh4k_DWosqD9cgPA5gKA_IhSZBaf5iceYam8OSgTZrGD9LSAD5TibRkVCAfp4uGMxpJxL6trd5SmR-ykPfpLr9GxcaTFTsyxdSQWjCMVrn86auyHdlgr4dbfTGXtYuobv6-LSzX6-4aucgiy9BokUXEXfgDSpzyyH_MfEDLMex8CZvgrP4qbBsjebi7B7TAiGZ-YYt_Alj63mm79ojIeMDw1_hyUirpIY7zelzsNhmVJ9JbgFZXbLyH-d-7NwrH54xTo1hXzRseUkiX9K66DjrDBTIv7Jc6zUNKD1k3wC4HcmTuC0HVMk-67amlWS_2xCorxSHryZxk0EecFs8bSWET3ifOyMdXximwJMA1iVuRPLdXOBuSq5eikzdXM0ei6Y22gPq83ZoTGISuJzo6ZPoBI3PpivYvoTcc3Qs0Dbk2rKQXBXUoH66JmqaUwtphI_GGNrDfGuDZTtObR-W8hhWmmWhcN_pik8qWMYN028J6TMz22Igso3FWBm9PKpprhfZWNePMSOSMeihs_6Mrl8r24OLsYp7InBslkPA5zH0onMxxT9W9MwjiZnInvLg=w500

I'd mounted the original near the slider since 90% of my water-getting happens from outside the van (cooking, etc.), but about 10% happens inside with the slider closed, and that faucet is down low and tricky to get to. Even with an electric pump, using a faucet to fill a bottle or kettle would be a bit of a reach (if, say, I'm making coffee on a cold morning!), hence the appeal of a sprayer on a hose I can pull out to use.

Of course, the big advantage of a regular faucet is the ability to turn it on and let it run for hand-washing, etc.

Thoughts? Better solutions?

SoCal Tom

Explorer
I'm using a yard sprayer on the end of a hose. I recently got a Triton 5L water heater, it comes with the spray head. Its probably great for showers, but I hate it for dishwashing, which will be the main use. I got an adapter so I can just attach a garden hose sprayer to the hose and I use that. Like this one https://smile.amazon.com/VicTsing-Adjustable-Watering-Resistant-Showering/dp/B01IHGR114/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1517513787&sr=8-3&keywords=hose+nozzels Its got a spring loaded off, and it works fine. I've been using it for cold water dishwashing for a while now. Generally I have it set on the "shower" spray pattern. But If I want more force I can get it. Its also handy for water battles if needed. ;-)
Tom

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I have this:

41M3MwzwnEL._SY400_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/LDR-530-2050...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00BHZLR4K

The way it's sopposed to work is you unscrew the aerator, screw this adapter on and screw the aerator to the adapter. Then you remove the aerator to screw on a garden hose.

I didn't like that. Too fiddly.

So I just removed the aeration screen cap from the faucet, pulled the screen out and McGyvered the screen into the adapter and the adapter stays on full-time. Tossed the now-screenless aerator.

I can screw on any hose with a garden hose thread.

robgendreau

Explorer
I did the aerator to hose fitting, then installed a quick release. From that, just a hose to various garden hose type nozzles. I had tons of fittings laying around from hooking up beer lines and such, and some of those worked well, since they were smaller. Nice to have the option to either use a hose or not.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Ditch your faucet and buy one for a laundry room sink. Home Depot sells them and they are usually the cheapest faucets they sell. They already are built to accept a garden hose. Next buy a 10' drinking water safe garden hose from the camping isle at Walmart. They are used for an RV's water fill. A cheap sprayer with a trigger handle works the best for the 10'hose. That's how my van is set up. To heat the water run it out of the hose and into an $89 Zodi camp shower heater that runs off a one pound propane bottle then straight back to the water tank. Once it's all warm remove the Zodi take a shower and or have running warm water for the evening. The warm water tank slowly releases its heat back into the van at night as a bonus if you don't use it all. I've been running mine like this for a long time and like it a lot.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Mine came with a laundry faucet. Most small campers do. It was broken so I replaced it, but I would have anyway...it was too low and close to the sink.

Laundry, bathroom and bar faucets all use 4" center to center for the valves, so I replaced the laundry faucet with a bar faucet. This one (was $50 when I bought mine):

stainless-steel-american-standard-bar-faucets-2475500-075-64_1000.jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/p/America...ucet-in-Stainless-Steel-2475500-075/205208169

Only problem was after 10 years or so, the spigot was getting stiff to swivel so I took it apart and replaced the o-ring at the bottom of the spigot.

Other than that, no issues and loads more working space in the sink.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
You need this.
http://shurflo.com/rv-products/rv-accessories/rv-faucets/rv-electric-faucets/80-electric-faucet-white

I replaced the one like you show in my ATC with this from Shurflo and it was awesome. It has a pump switch built into the knob so the pump will only run when you want water. This also means you can run a normal pump and not a pressure switched pump. If the pump is off, you can;t have dribbling issues.

I have this same faucet, it rocks... I used it with Shurflo's 100 series pump. It's a perfect combo. I have both on my rig, a Road Shower 2 with sprayer and a faucet. If I had to chose one, it'd be the faucet, it is so convenient to use, if my wife made the call... it's hot showers 100%. Both have their place, but I would get rid of my Road Shower before my faucet.

FlipperFla

I used a marine washdown pump for my van system. Shurflo and Flojet make excellent pumps, you can run them dry and it wont hurt them.00E4F894-5F9E-4AD5-9B7E-F53B9AB8D265.jpegD81D4A08-DA7F-4036-B4C7-C52CFCD4F7CF.jpeg

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
I was set on a faucet then found this, the hose is quick connect and works great. I use it for mainly dishes on shower setting and stream to rinse kayaks etc off.

Washing hands a faucet would be better.

IMG_4772.jpg

Scoutman

Explorer
What about some of the quick connect products from Spray-Away. They make faucets, hose storage, flexi spouts, etc that may work great for your spot.

Plug in a flexi spout for washing hands and swap it out for a short hose or long hose for filling pots, showers, rinsing off, etc.

https://www.dwincorp.com/product-category/spray-away/
Look at page 1 and 2 for compatible products.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles