37X13.50R17

1aquaholic

Adventurer
Does anyone have a 37X13.50R17LT tire on the front of there FG? I will be doing a lift, I think a minimum of 3 inches and I understand the there is a clearance issue on the step when you tilt the cab, I can modify that but I'm most worried about frame rub or other structural parts. Do you need to modify the front wheel well also?

Thanks!

skippythedog

Observer
I think you will be ok at 3”. I'm running Tony's wheels w/ his new front springs. The springs brought the truck up 2.5”. After 6 mos driving and any settling that may have occurred ( I haven't checked) my 2007 FG140s steps still clear the Hankooks just fine.
You will have to hack your mudguards a smidge on the leading edge starting at the bottom of the door. ( or buy the wide Aussie ones) The 37's will have a tendency to suck up and abrade those thin rubber flaps behind the tire.
Mine will eventually be replaced w/ slightly stiffer rubber to hold their clearance.
I would simply bolt on Tony's springs w/ greasable shackles instead of futzing w/ a lift as the OEM springs are junk.

Last edited:

Amesz00

Adventurer
You won't have any issues with structural parts. I'm on 40s and even full steering lock they don't hit drag link or springs. Mudguards are another story though haha.

1aquaholic

Adventurer
Thanks guys, I did airbags all the way around but I would like to go to those shackles. I'm surprised you don't have a clearance issue with the steering arm on the 40s, my stock tires are pretty close to the steering arm when turned full right, I'm very happy to hear neither of you have clearance problems on structural parts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ericvs

You won't have any issues with structural parts. I'm on 40s and even full steering lock they don't hit drag link or springs. Mudguards are another story though haha.

I looked through your threads but didn't see. what is your tire width and what rim offset are you running?
Thanks

Amesz00

Adventurer
335/80 XZLs on 20x11 u1300 rims, recentered to fuso pattern and offset. Sorry I can't remember what offset exactly, but I did set them up so the fronts are a few mm wider than the rears. Not enough to see or make a difference in handling but just a little extra for the drag link.

PilbaraFG637

I just got 37"s fitted on GoannaTracks 17" rims for my 97 FG637, but wont fit without lift... so tracking down my options. ..

1aquaholic

Adventurer
I took some measurements and it look like I was going to have clearance issues so I made a mock-up. I just don't really get it cuz everybody here says no problem clearance wise including ATW and Goanna Tracks but as you can see from my pictures I have big clearance issues with the step and the drag link steering. The stock tires are 30.5 and my mock-up is for 37x12.5 so 3.25 difference in the radius. What am I missing?
9ffdee0c96a7cda318d08c14771a3527.jpg
e5be75b70ea49c637dea64f7f1675fa1.jpg
ba204e0815eeaa3ec6491f65a615c7f5.jpg
7834da6223ac5675f4f544c334065d68.jpg
96de518788040812069161323bd07478.jpg

dan85

Observer
does anyone know how much the goanna tracks wheels with 37inch tyres weigh? Also how much a fuso or isuzu stock wheel/tyre combo weighs? im just doing up some calcs on how much my truck will weigh and if i can keep it under 4500kg thanks

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Here is a picture of my truck when I picked it up from ATW (many moons ago...). This is an Australian FG84, which should have the same dimensions as your FG140.
The tyres are Toyo M608Zs, which are 35.5" (900mm)

There is obviously a pretty big lift on my truck, but you should be able to see that even with a lesser lift there should not be any real issues.
A modification was made to the OEM guards to give clearance when the cab is tilted.

Tyre_Clearances.jpg

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
im just doing up some calcs on how much my truck will weigh and if i can keep it under 4500kg

If you are considering derating your truck to 4495kg you might want to consider looking at alloy rims, as they will definitely lessen your Tare weight if you are changing to singles.
You will save around 10-15kg per rim, compared to steel singles rims.
When I changed from the ATW steel rims to their alloys I reduced my overall weight by about 90kg!

Bris31

Adventurer
does anyone know how much the goanna tracks wheels with 37inch tyres weigh? Also how much a fuso or isuzu stock wheel/tyre combo weighs? im just doing up some calcs on how much my truck will weigh and if i can keep it under 4500kg thanks

I too was aiming to keep my fg649 weight at/below 4500kg and researching the same thing. From my notes the stock metal wheel/tyre are 38kg each (5 stud).
I went for Alan's alloy 5 stud - 12kg and BFGoodrich 315/75/R16 - 30kg each (combo 42kg). Don''t know exact weight about Goanna's wheel/tyre.

1aquaholic

Adventurer
I'm now leaning toward 37x12.5R17 and my top contenders are

Trackmaster
http://www.trucksupersingles.com.au/tyres.html

Hankook Dynapro MT
http://m.hankooktire.com/us/tire/passenger-cars/hankook-dynapro-mt-rt03.html

Toyo Open Country MT
https://www.toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open-country-mt-off-road-maximum-traction-tires

Interco TrXuS M/T - Radial
https://www.intercotire.com/tire/102

Maxxis Razr MT
http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-516-104-razr-mt

Would love all thoughts or other options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier