Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Colorado Camper Van Review (CCV)- Buyer Beware

A good set of polyurethane body mounts to replace the factory rubber body mounts will go a LONG WAY in the reduction of body flex in most any "body on frame" vehicle especially big ole "body on frame" vans.
    Last edited by vintageracer; 02-18-2018 at 06:02 PM.
    Mike

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!

Quote Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
    ^^^ its just a thin piece of white foam. with mine, its completely dark up top when window shades are up.

things could have easily changed since 2013, but my canvas is gray both inside and out because he put the canvas back towards the foam both inside and out. my canvas is the exact color you see on the seam above looking at the outside and the inside. no where on my canvas does it look like the photo above.
    That picture is strange. It is black out up there with the shades up. Not sure why it looks like so much light coming through.

As far as all the commentary on fixed tops: I wouldnt sweat a fixed top cracking under heavy off-road conditions. Ive seen some beat on rigs with no leaks reported by their owners. Also, fiberglass is cheap and easy to fix.
    Last edited by swedishSTile; 02-20-2018 at 04:44 PM.

Middle of Nowhere, Outer Skin of Space Ship Earth, 1 A.U. from Sol, Outskirts of Milky Way.
    My old van has a Fiberine 24" top, with optional wood stringers and optional inner liner (full fiberglass inner tub).

After a few decades and a lot of rough roads - and more than a few "can't believe it made it" (it's a 2WD) - no cracks or leaks (except from worn out window gaskets).

I suspect it probably as stong as, if not stronger than, the factory roof.

No fear.

I’ve done some wheeling in my van so far - nothing too stupid but with plenty of opportunity for body flex especially in Colorado when we did a few passes.

My high top is still perfectly water tight and having opened up the back and seen the seal from the inside and the outside I’m not too worried. And I live in Portland - the land of perpetual winter rain. The sunroof in my pickup is leaking however so I’d put the top flexing and or cracking pretty far down on my list of priorities.

Yes, MG needs to get cracking on his top. There’s a line forming for a well made pop top.

Gregor

Quote Originally Posted by sakurama View Post

Yes, MG needs to get cracking on his top. There’s a line forming for a well made pop top.

Gregor
    And well installed. Still waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by dwh View Post
    My old van has a Fiberine 24" top, with optional wood stringers and optional inner liner (full fiberglass inner tub).

After a few decades and a lot of rough roads - and more than a few "can't believe it made it" (it's a 2WD) - no cracks or leaks (except from worn out window gaskets).

I suspect it probably as stong as, if not stronger than, the factory roof.

No fear.
    Fiberine makes a great top, all we'll use. No issues from any we've installed.
    Chris Steuber
    02 E350 7.3 V4
    05 E350 6.8 V7
    90 Taurus SHO
    17 Focus RS
    49 CJ2A
    16 T350 3.7
    93 Volvo 240 Wagon

www.ujointoffroad.com
    4x4 Van Conversions

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456