4x4 Provan Astro Tiger GT

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Definitely post that to the Tiger Yahoo group too, there's always someone on there looking for one...

cbadbox

Peace!!

Apparently my original posting might be considered insensitive :Wow1:

West's are cool to, I enjoy them all. For the cause of Peace on Earth I have edited my original listing. Enjoy the day!!:beer:

Posted on the Tiger forums, Thanks!!

cbadbox

Tiger

Bump!

This started out as a project and my first camper rig so it wasn't driven much. Since recently completing all the projects I have been driving it regularly. Around town and freeway, I am impressed on how easy it is to drive. It always draws attention and positive comments. Most people in So Cal have never seen an Astro Tiger GT and certainly not a 4X4. Plenty of interest in it and a few low ball offers. The current price is OBO but this is not a stress sale. I just don't really need two campers and have another non-camper project in mind so I could use the room.

I picked up a belt for the cab AC and should know if it works once I have time to install it. The compressor and all the pulleys spin freely so I am optimistic.

jdreier

Observer
I should try to sell my pop-top astro, and pick this up. I do happen to have a photoshoot in LA at the end on March... I could fly out and drive it back... hmmm. *puts on thinking cap.

cbadbox

I should try to sell my pop-top astro, and pick this up. I do happen to have a photoshoot in LA at the end on March... I could fly out and drive it back... hmmm. *puts on thinking cap.

JJ I just watched your build video, your rig came out nice!!

Hookemducks

Hey guys. I've had my eye on Mario's rig. Has a lot going for it. 4x4, dependable Astro with plentiful parts availability, option to sleep 4. I see that jdreier is interested, and I look over his amazing build, and wonder why he might prefer the Provan over his poptop Astro van conversion. I also notice that you(Mario), have switched to the Traverse. I'm interested in knowing both of your reasons for either switching away or toward the Provan platform. I'm asking myself the same questions. Thanks for any insights!

jdreier

Observer
Hey guys. I've had my eye on Mario's rig. Has a lot going for it. 4x4, dependable Astro with plentiful parts availability, option to sleep 4. I see that jdreier is interested, and I look over his amazing build, and wonder why he might prefer the Provan over his poptop Astro van conversion. I also notice that you(Mario), have switched to the Traverse. I'm interested in knowing both of your reasons for either switching away or toward the Provan platform. I'm asking myself the same questions. Thanks for any insights!

Hey, thanks. My pop-top astro has been great. Since i've owned it, it's taken me 60k+ miles across the country countless times without any issues (although I do preventative maintenance on it when i'm home).

The reason why i'm interested in something like a 4x4 astro provan is because this one has a solid front axle. My awd astro is nice, but I do go through front end parts pretty often. I think i'm on my third set of idler arms. The provan is also slightly larger inside than my homemade build. I'm often traveling with two people, climbing gear, photography gear, and mountain bikes. Space fills up quickly.

My only concern is the 4.3l v6 in the Astros. It's a great reliable engine, but slightly underpowered, especially with my larger tires, and the pop-top. I imagine it's the same in the provan. I've thought about regearing or dropping in a v8 if I do keep mine. I also thought about if I bought a provan and dropping a v8 into that. I think dropping a v8 in the 87 provan might be easier than my 04 astro.

cbadbox

I purchased my Tiger GT on the fly while laid up on injury. I enjoy a project and I’ve been a car/truck nut my whole life, yet this was my first camper purchase. I fell for the simplicity and compact platform of the Tiger. Fortunately I lucked out found a good one with a legitimate 4x4 conversion that was done properly and the time of the original build. Long story short, I worked on it handling issues common to a thirty year old Tiger GT. Then became sidelined for over a year due to injuries/recovery and was not sure if I would ever be strong enough to finish everything I started on the Tiger. During my layup along comes a reasonable find on the Traverse that is good to go. Eventually I did get strong enough to finish what I had started on the Tiger with some difficulties. The Traverse is easier for me, newer, a bit more comfortable, not as roomy and was considerably more $$. I think I can get by without the 4 WD. Hell I didn’t even drive the Tiger much until recent months and have been amazed at how well it goes around town and on Calif freeways. It’s a solid platform for whatever improvements the next owner wants to make or just use as is. Given that it was built out without a shower, toilet and all the associated hardware, grey and black water tanks it’s one of the lightest Tigers out there. So the V6 moves it around okay and the turning radius is incredible which will make it fun off road. There are some V8 conversions out there, it sounds like its not that difficult and things fit without chassis modifications. The Tiger is way cooler than the Traverse, they both have their own pros and cons.

Hookemducks

Thanks for your perspective on this. That's interesting about the potential advantage of the solid front axle. Anyway, very impressive build. Westfalia really did think it out well so why recreate the wheel? I had an '88 Vanagon westy and the layout was excellent. Cost to own, not so much.

Hookemducks

Thanks Mario. I hope you are healing up well from your injury. Interesting that the minimal amenities do have an upside. I've also thought that less is often better, both for mpg and fewer things to go wrong. So things that need attention with your rig: Rear window seal and tail light seal. Is water getting in, and do they carry the original seals anymore for replacement? Do you have the curtains that are missing in the photos? How about the spare tire? You had also mentioned that the top had some hail damage. Is it minimal? Is there anything else?

It's a very cool rig that you just don't see every day.

Thanks for your time,
Mitch

cbadbox

I have made a significant effort to disclose everything in the craigslist add. As with all these rigs there will always be something to maintain, improve or modify. I already have plans for my Traverse. When I hired out to have the GT buffed out I stayed inside while they hit it with the pressure washer to check for leaks. As suspected a little moisture came in from the rear window. But if you look at the trim you can tell it needs to be replaced. There was no evidence of any other moisture intrusion other than some misting from the tail light area. For good measure I would reseal the two side windows while I was at it and replace the foam weather stripping around the side entry door. Typical for a 87 GT. The seals on the front doors and front window are good. Factory rear tail light replacement parts are not available. Some have replaced them with after market units. Personally I would clean up the existing ones seal them with either a rubber gasket or possibly a marine caulking. These items will take a few hours to do but at very little cost. It came with a donut type spare that is the original and I would never trust it. You could mount a full size spare on the existing back bumper mount. Also since there is no black water tank the stock spare tire mount underneath is also an option. This last weekend I tried the cruise control and it was not functioning. It appears that all the parts are intact, I have not investigated any further.

As far as the top, it has dimples from being in a hail store. lots of hail in Texas which was its home most of its life. The curtains where falling apart some I took them out, but have them in case a pattern is needed and all the attaching hardware is still there.

I have had several inquires on price movement. I have a bottom line and have no problem moving to that if it doesn't move in the spring. I only know of six other actual 4x4 GT conversions. One sold for 28K last year, yes I know thats a lot of cash. And there is some flexibility before testing the spring market. One also sold for 11K last year, I know the owner its needs all of work. Another sold for 18K. I am an honest older adult seller and will give you the grand tour if you decide to come see it.

I have had several low ball 12 and 13K offers from people fishing without seeing it. I will not be selling at that price.

Last edited:

cbadbox

Thanks for the thorough description. Such a unique vehicle.

Have you kept track of the mpg?

I have not, others state anything between 15-20 mpg depending on what type of driving. The speedometer is off a bit, guessing its associated with the 4X4 conversion.

Its my understanding that one of the owners of Provan split off and started Four Wheel Campers. The construction technique on the Tiger is the same as the campers.

The lift panels are identical to those used in the campers for years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior