Water Systems and Algae?

KYC

Adventurer
I'm planning out my water system and realized that algae will most likely grow inside the tubing.

I'm gonna run a 12v pump between the water tank and the hose. The hoses are clear and I'm wondering what other people do to prevent growth inside these hoses.

Do people use sleeves, tape the hoses, etc?

I ran something similar in my house and after a couple of weeks, the insides of the hoses were filled with slime.

I know the rule of thumb is to keep out of the sun, but that might not be possible.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
A tiny bit of bleach in the water you put into the tank (about a drop for every couple of gallons) will help keep things clean. In a 60-ish gallon tank in a boat I usually figure about a half of a cap-full if the tank is being refilled from mostly empty. If done right, it's not enough to be really noticeable in the water (and you can always filter it out for drinking if you're concerned).

Chili

Explorer
I'm planning out my water system and realized that algae will most likely grow inside the tubing.

I'm gonna run a 12v pump between the water tank and the hose. The hoses are clear and I'm wondering what other people do to prevent growth inside these hoses.

Do people use sleeves, tape the hoses, etc?

I ran something similar in my house and after a couple of weeks, the insides of the hoses were filled with slime.

I know the rule of thumb is to keep out of the sun, but that might not be possible.

Yeah, no sun, no algae. I know my brother in law ended up buying a black tank and opaque lines for his water tank at his hunting property.

KYC

Adventurer
Drain the tank when it isn't in use. Sanitize with bleach about once per year.
Tom

I had a couple of gallons in my scepter that was years old. It was stored in my shed. I popped the cap and the water was really clean and tasteful.

Do you do yours just to be safe or do you have some kind of bad experience with it?

KYC

Adventurer
Yeah, no sun, no algae. I know my brother in law ended up buying a black tank and opaque lines for his water tank at his hunting property.

Yeah the tank i'm using is black.

How are the opaque hoses holding up?

For sure they let sunlight through right? That is what I'm working with. Silicon food safe hose, but I'm wondering if I should get some loom to wrap all the hoses?

SoCal Tom

Explorer
A tiny bit of bleach in the water you put into the tank (about a drop for every couple of gallons) will help keep things clean. In a 60-ish gallon tank in a boat I usually figure about a half of a cap-full if the tank is being refilled from mostly empty. If done right, it's not enough to be really noticeable in the water (and you can always filter it out for drinking if you're concerned).
https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/pdf/emergency/09_202278-b_make_water_safe_flyer_508.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
In applications where I wanted clear tubing I have used the Clearflo Anti-microbial stuff with good success.

comptiger5000

Adventurer

That's a handy bit of info to have. And I definitely agree with it on the waiting a bit before drinking the water (the bleach taste / smell dissipates a lot as it kills things off). If you're starting with clean water (especially chlorinated tap water) the bleach dose to keep things clean can be lower than what's required to sanitize questionable water.

Chili

Explorer
Yeah the tank i'm using is black.

How are the opaque hoses holding up?

For sure they let sunlight through right? That is what I'm working with. Silicon food safe hose, but I'm wondering if I should get some loom to wrap all the hoses?

He only has very short runs of actual hose which connect to PVC then run underground. His source is rain water that is collected via a very large metal roof / gutter system that covers his converted shipping container 'cabin' and about 20' along the front side. That portion serves as a patio, of sorts. So the collected water runs through 2 or 3 levels of filtering material before the tank, then runs through 2 purification systems once inside. I honestly don't know how picky he was with the flexible lines, or what they are. I know they're not pex as that was his first idea but apparently even the colored versions still let in some light. I'll give him a shout to see what he ended up using..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles