2000 XJ Cherokee Build

Toyman01

Adventurer
This is not going to be a large tire, go anywhere beast. BTDT. I'm over it. I'm building this to run the GA Traverse and eventually the Trans American Trail. Mostly cruising dirt roads in the national forests and camping. It will eventually end up as a TOAD behind my 56 Ford bus, SanFord. It will see as much highway as it does dirt.

This is the starting point, as bought a couple of years ago.

20160916_191619_zpstvcl9s8y.jpg

Right after I bought it I took care of some maintenance problems. It was running hot, so it got a 3 core aluminum radiator, water pump and t-stat. It was also leaking transmission fluid out of the front bushing and seal so it got a transmission rebuild. I also replaced the headliner, front rotors, calipers and pads, and took care of some other minor issues.

20160916_185444_zpsw6zwms9e.jpg

20160917_175214_zpsagisvmgy.jpg

20160918_114906_zpscajodnmi.jpg

There is stayed for a little over a year. I still had the Samurai to play with and this was mostly a people hauler. It made a few trips to the woods just to keep the 4WD lubricated.

20170730_122925-XL.jpg

20180104_115157_HDR-L.jpg

What I would like is 4 seats, solar power, refrigerator, camping capable and fairly self sustained. Pretty much everything that wouldn't fit in the Samurai.

I don't particularly want a RTT, and at 6'2, I don't want to sleep in the back. I don't mind setting up a tent and comfortable cot.

Last week, we started with the roof rack. The one that came with it was so small as to be useless. I frequently camp with a 10X10 popup canopy. I wanted the roof rack to be able to hold one. Done

20180120_091042-XL.jpg

Next up was the refrigerator. I already had a Base Camp 43qt. It's not the smallest or the most efficient, but it's paid for. It's going to be the biggest real estate hog. This is where it's going to land. I'm still on the fence about building a slide out for it and a set of storage drawers for the back. That decision will be made tomorrow.

20180201_145643-XL.jpg

The battery is a 100AH AGM and it will be mounted directly in front of the refrigerator in a battery box.

20180202_183047-XL.jpg

That's it so far. The plan is to make a good bit of progress tomorrow. We shall see.

Van_Homan

Adventurer
I'm interested to see where you go with this build. We seem to have similar uses in mind for our vehicles.

jimed43

Adventurer
This is not going to be a large tire, go anywhere beast. BTDT. I'm over it. I'm building this to run the GA Traverse and eventually the Trans American Trail. Mostly cruising dirt roads in the national forests and camping. It will eventually end up as a TOAD behind my 56 Ford bus, SanFord. It will see as much highway as it does dirt.

This is the starting point, as bought a couple of years ago.

20160916_191619_zpstvcl9s8y.jpg

Right after I bought it I took care of some maintenance problems. It was running hot, so it got a 3 core aluminum radiator, water pump and t-stat. It was also leaking transmission fluid out of the front bushing and seal so it got a transmission rebuild. I also replaced the headliner, front rotors, calipers and pads, and took care of some other minor issues.

20160916_185444_zpsw6zwms9e.jpg

20160917_175214_zpsagisvmgy.jpg

20160918_114906_zpscajodnmi.jpg

There is stayed for a little over a year. I still had the Samurai to play with and this was mostly a people hauler. It made a few trips to the woods just to keep the 4WD lubricated.

20170730_122925-XL.jpg

20180104_115157_HDR-L.jpg

What I would like is 4 seats, solar power, refrigerator, camping capable and fairly self sustained. Pretty much everything that wouldn't fit in the Samurai.

I don't particularly want a RTT, and at 6'2, I don't want to sleep in the back. I don't mind setting up a tent and comfortable cot.

Last week, we started with the roof rack. The one that came with it was so small as to be useless. I frequently camp with a 10X10 popup canopy. I wanted the roof rack to be able to hold one. Done

20180120_091042-XL.jpg

Next up was the refrigerator. I already had a Base Camp 43qt. It's not the smallest or the most efficient, but it's paid for. It's going to be the biggest real estate hog. This is where it's going to land. I'm still on the fence about building a slide out for it and a set of storage drawers for the back. That decision will be made tomorrow.

20180201_145643-XL.jpg

The battery is a 100AH AGM and it will be mounted directly in front of the refrigerator in a battery box.

20180202_183047-XL.jpg

That's it so far. The plan is to make a good bit of progress tomorrow. We shall see.
Looks great! We had a few late 80's Cherokee. Loved them.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Toyman01

Adventurer
A little got done today.

I decided to get the fridge up off the floor so I could store stuff underneath it. Namely a folding plastic table. A table goes a long way to making a camp more than primitive.

A little digging through my stash of wood and I whipped up this.

20180203_112235-L.jpg

That gives me some space below the floor for the table and some other stuff. The battery remained in the same spot but cut into the floor.

20180203_112240-L.jpg

Then I started thinking about storage. As much as I would love to build a killer drawer system, I have no delusions about being a cabinet maker. I'm much better with steel but didn't want the weight. So I started looking for ready built drawer units. I have my doubts about how long this unit will last, but it will be a good stop gap measure until I decide if a system like this will work for me.

20180203_144822_HDR-L.jpg

I modified it a bit for durability. We'll see how it holds up.

20180203_144753_HDR-L.jpg

motoboss

Bad Influence
Good start. I'm working on the same type build on my 2000 XJ.
What table is that? Hope wide and long unfolded?
What cabinet is that?
Thanks

dcg141

Adventurer
Sold my XJ last year, kinda miss it already. You did the right thing putting the aftermarket radiator in there.

Toyman01

Adventurer
Good start. I'm working on the same type build on my 2000 XJ.
What table is that? Hope wide and long unfolded?
What cabinet is that?
Thanks

The table is 48" X 24" and is adjustable from 22" tall to 36" tall. Folded it's about 2' X 2' X 3".

The cabinet is a made by Rubbermaid and carried by Lowes. It's supposed to hang in a closet. I have my doubts about how well it will survive the heat of summer, but we will see.

I did add some carpet to the floor and the top of the cabinet. It should help with the rattles.

20180213_173459-L.jpg

motoboss

Bad Influence
Thanks. My goals are very close to yours. The Wife and I are planning a CDT trip, or at least part of it in late summer.

Although I took out the back seat in order to carry the mutt my rear storage, yeti cooler and camping gear will be in a similar rear set up and a rooftop Thule.

Looking forward to your build to foster ideas for mine.

Subscribed!

Toyman01

Adventurer
I have hated the faded nasty plastic bumper corners since I bought this thing. After looking at all the options and not really liking how industrial the aftermarket bumpers are, I decided to replace the plastics. While I was at it I stripped the failing side molding as well.

Before
20171217_161751-XL.jpg

After.
20180218_164410-XL.jpg

It looks much younger.

motoboss

Bad Influence
What did you use to take the side molding off?

Not to step on his thread but I used 3M General Adhesive Remover on mine. They're only held on with foam adhesive tape. The 3M cleaner dosent hurt paint but softens the tape enough to pull them off. Just run a bead along the top lines and let it soak, repeat until they pull off easily. It works great on cleaning residual glue left behind!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles