What are some of the most reliable old vehicles?

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Darren, I'm thinking the same way you are. Both the Xterra and early Montero were on my radar at one time. Many fine design features and quality made. But we go for the make and model that satisfy our current instincts. By the time these came along, both kids were out of the house and we were in stage 2, so my attention was to a hard core rock crawler and an off-road truck camper.
jefe

Wilbah

Adventurer
I would say a late 70's FJ40, best off the shelf 4WD I ever had. Insane strength, simple and bullet proof online 6. But unfortunately its insanely expensive now.

I will ditto those who've said 70's-80's GM (Chevy or GMC). Makes no difference which one, they share all the same parts that matter. And the small block? Fahgetaboutit. Run forever. And options for increased performance? You have to read what these guys got out of a junkyard small block. Make sure you read the last paragraph- absolutely insane.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-1109-stock-gm-ls-engine-big-bang-theory/

Mos6502

This thread is VERY ENTERTAINING!

There is NO such thing as a "RELIABLE OLD" vehicle that meets the needs of Modern Traffic, Speeds and Safety HOWEVER there certainly are a BUNCH of old guy's here that "Think" they know how to work on old vehicles which in their mind makes that old POS vehicle they own and drive "Reliable"!

Post after post continues to have the poster tell us about their "Reliable" vehicle and more importantly how they are able to repair and maintain that vehicle to keep that POS running and driving!

The reality is that modern vehicles are infinitely MORE RELIABLE than that old POS you currently drive that you "think" you can repair yourself. What's the difference? The fact that you are OLD and do not have the knowledge, tools and ability to repair a modern vehicle in NO WAY makes that modern vehicle less reliable.

It's ALL in your damn head!

Anybody who works at a new car dealer, and also owns old cars, knows this is patently false. :p
New cars, if anything, are less reliable than old ones.

My newest car turns 50 next year. It's never left me stranded. It's never needed a major repair. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it cross country.
tumblr_p1pod2Ayvi1s3ccm8o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p1pod2Ayvi1s3ccm8o8_1280.jpg

tumblr_p1pod2Ayvi1s3ccm8o7_1280.jpg

Yes things wear out. Brake pads, tires, etc. Stuff that's made to wear out. But that's true on all vehicles. And eventually modern vehicles become old anyway.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
New truck or old, you have to realize that perfection only exists in nature. Anything man-made is prone to failure. I bought a Jeep CJ7 brand new off the lot and it was a 3 year ordeal to get it repaired just so I could sell it at a loss. I believe in simplicity. The problem with newer vehicles is the over-reliance on electronics. Those systems will not last forever. If I need to know what the temperature is, I'll roll down the window.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Reliability is a function of your willingness to properly and completely carry out repairs.

You almost had it. But if it NEEDS repaired, is it considered reliable?

More like...

Reliability is a function of your willingness to properly carry out preventative maintenance.

As in, fix it before it's broke ;)

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
You almost had it. But if it NEEDS repaired, is it considered reliable?

More like...

Reliability is a function of your willingness to properly carry out preventative maintenance.

As in, fix it before it's broke ;)

I thought if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :unsure:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I would say a late 70's FJ40, best off the shelf 4WD I ever had. Insane strength, simple and bullet proof online 6. But unfortunately its insanely expensive now.

I will ditto those who've said 70's-80's GM (Chevy or GMC). Makes no difference which one, they share all the same parts that matter. And the small block? Fahgetaboutit. Run forever. And options for increased performance? You have to read what these guys got out of a junkyard small block. Make sure you read the last paragraph- absolutely insane.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-1109-stock-gm-ls-engine-big-bang-theory/
I had a '73 Landcruiser. When Toyota copied the 235 Six they must of raised the compression ratio as the truck would ping like hell on Pemex. My friend would have to use starting fluid on his with their fuel. The manual steering was fun too. It would beat me to death down there. Never broke though.

TernOverland

Supporting Sponsor Ternoverland.com
I've been doing my own repairs since the 70's on cars made since the 60's. I think it's pretty clear that the sheer number of repairs required on modern cars in the first 300,000 miles are far fewer. They are also far more costly and complicated. Older cars rarely surprised you with a breakdown if you were engaged with the vehicle and did all your maintenance. Mechanical breakdowns usually announce themselves way in advance. A simple tool set could handle almost any repair. The source of the problem is usually obvious. Modern cars can quit at any moment without warning, and repairs in remote areas can be almost impossible. Even very simply jobs like replacing a fuel pump, are now much more difficult. While I enjoy the relatively trouble free advantages of technology, I'm also a lot less secure in my back road travels for these reasons.

dcg141

Adventurer
I drive older vehicles because I'm cheap when it comes to them. I have owned several of the trucks mentioned in here. My experience is that at around 300,000 miles they are pretty much done and the repairs become more trouble than they are worth. I buy them usually at just over 100,000 and keep them to 300.000. My current ride is getting close so I am in the market again. Looking now at GX 470's in the 100,000 mile range. Will pay cash for one and sell the current ride.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I drive older vehicles because I can still modify and upgrade them to some extent. However digital dashes, accessories and integration (transmission controls and antitheft hoaxes (being kind there; obviously the thieves know how to bypass/hack them)) are making vehicles harder to keep up and modify (and in at least some cases easier to hack/steal). Made a mistake with the current TJ because the digital dash basically precludes switching the power train to something better without reverting/converting to the older analog dash... (not to mention; the computer controlled oil pressure gauge lies/does not indicate reality).
As it sits now I would not consider most vehicles newer than about 2003 or 2004... because their internal computer networks mostly make them drive 'til they drop/disposable.

Enjoy!

tatanka48

Merriam-Webster sez

: suitable or fit to be relied on : DEPENDABLE

that being said and generally accepted i'd have to agree w/ the above responders who touted the Jeep Cherokee XJ

i agree w/ the relationship/comparison to the KLR in the ADV community

¿ can i rely/depend on an XJ ?

have and still do(Y2K XJ classic)

¿ do parts wear out and need replacing ?

yep

¿ does it enjoy readily available sources of common repair(worn out) parts ?

yep

¿ does it enjoy substantial aftermarket parts & accessory support ?

yep

¿ has the base drive train(engine transmission transfer case and diffs) failed

nope(rear diff did get re-bearing'd @ just over 200k miles)

¿ has the stearing system failed ?

nope(only 1 alignment @ 260k miles w/ no parts replaced)

¿ does it get me home regularly ?

yep(it only needed a ride home once in over 260k miles)

¿ does it negotiate the highways n byways along with back country while providing a sense of authority and comfort ?

yep

¿ can/does it have room for my kit ?

yep(and sports an adequate roof rack)

¿ can it tow a reasonably sized trailer ?

yep( 6x12 utility and 16' boat)

¿ do incidental repairs/replacing of common/normal wear parts equal or excede the monthly payment of a new unit ?

nope(considerably less and only a few times/year)

¿ is it THE BEST @ anything ?

nope... but i can't think of any alternative that can/would do virtually everything it does as well as it does(yet)

w/ it's narrow track and close turning radius it can go places my full sized truck can't

even w/ stock wheels n tires it had enough ground clearance to do Engineer Pass

the inline 6 automatic coupled w/ dual range 4wd have done all i've asked and brought me home

i have re-arched the stock leaf springs and added coil overs to allow it to use common 235/75-R15 Geolanders

i have replaced the stock am/fm cassette radio w/ an am/fm/cassette/cd unit

i have a gutter mounted set of cross bars for roof carry

i have added a front 2" receiver hitch

¿ is it "old" ?

i guess it is(Y2K)

¿ is it dependable ?

YEP!

¿ would i launch out on an ADVenture in it today ?

YEP !!!

TIMG_3059.JPG

motoboss

Bad Influence
Merriam-Webster sez

: suitable or fit to be relied on : DEPENDABLE

that being said and generally accepted i'd have to agree w/ the above responders who touted the Jeep Cherokee XJ

i agree w/ the relationship/comparison to the KLR in the ADV community

¿ can i rely/depend on an XJ ?

have and still do(Y2K XJ classic)

¿ do parts wear out and need replacing ?

yep

¿ does it enjoy readily available sources of common repair(worn out) parts ?

yep

¿ does it enjoy substantial aftermarket parts & accessory support ?

yep

¿ has the base drive train(engine transmission transfer case and diffs) failed

nope(rear diff did get re-bearing'd @ just over 200k miles)

¿ has the stearing system failed ?

nope(only 1 alignment @ 260k miles w/ no parts replaced)

¿ does it get me home regularly ?

yep(it only needed a ride home once in over 260k miles)

¿ does it negotiate the highways n byways along with back country while providing a sense of authority and comfort ?

yep

¿ can/does it have room for my kit ?

yep(and sports an adequate roof rack)

¿ can it tow a reasonably sized trailer ?

yep( 6x12 utility and 16' boat)

¿ do incidental repairs/replacing of common/normal wear parts equal or excede the monthly payment of a new unit ?

nope(considerably less and only a few times/year)

¿ is it THE BEST @ anything ?

nope... but i can't think of any alternative that can/would do virtually everything it does as well as it does(yet)

w/ it's narrow track and close turning radius it can go places my full sized truck can't

even w/ stock wheels n tires it had enough ground clearance to do Engineer Pass

the inline 6 automatic coupled w/ dual range 4wd have done all i've asked and brought me home

i have re-arched the stock leaf springs and added coil overs to allow it to use common 235/75-R15 Geolanders

i have replaced the stock am/fm cassette radio w/ an am/fm/cassette/cd unit

i have a gutter mounted set of cross bars for roof carry

i have added a front 2" receiver hitch

¿ is it "old" ?

i guess it is(Y2K)

¿ is it dependable ?

YEP!

¿ would i launch out on an ADVenture in it today ?

YEP !!!

TView attachment 490507

Yep
KIMG0694.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles