What are some of the most reliable old vehicles?

twodollars

Your so right. PlainjaneFJC.

The thing I have noticed in my aging piles of style is that it's the entire vehicle ages at the same time. So it's got a new engine and trans. Well the seats, hvac, wiring, and every damn piece of rubber are still 30 years old. And the window mechanicals, carpet, headliner, shifter, etc. I like my old trucks, but damn they always need something.

rnArmy

Adventurer
These threads always turn into a "why the car I drive is best" thread. Good luck OP.

The OP asked a fairly simple question (feel free to refer back to the original post). I see you've had nothing to offer him so far other than snide comments to other folks' suggestions and in general. I offered two options based on personal experience for vehicles that might fit his stated request (an SUV he could sleep in, and a truck he could sleep in with a topper). Both can be found inexpensive, both are easy to work on and modify/upgrade, are four-wheel drive, are at least 20 years old, and both have parts readily available.
-
What do you have to offer to the OP? So far I've seen nothing useful from you in this thread in regards to his request for information.

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
The OP asked a fairly simple question (feel free to refer back to the original post). I see you've had nothing to offer him so far other than snide comments to other folks' suggestions and in general. I offered two options based on personal experience for vehicles that might fit his stated request (an SUV he could sleep in, and a truck he could sleep in with a topper). Both can be found inexpensive, both are easy to work on and modify/upgrade, are four-wheel drive, are at least 20 years old, and both have parts readily available.
-
What do you have to offer to the OP? So far I've seen nothing useful from you in this thread in regards to his request for information.

I have offered him more than "this is the car I drive", but you didn't care to see that. I offered him caution and understanding. There have been a few good posts, but most are just "hey this is what I have owned". Don't be offended for me stating the obvious. The OP's question was "what are some of the most reliable old vehicles", and you proceed to give him a sample size of one. I mean I could have had an extremely reliable land rover from the 1980's, they weren't all a POS right? Does that make my vehicle fit the bill?

ultraclyde

Observer
Two options to try and answer the OP's original question:

1. Later model Jeep ZJ Grand Cherokees with the 4.0 straight six (avoid the ones with the V8 engine). I'm partial to the 1998 model (last year of the ZJ) with the 242 transfer case. The 4.0 straight six is an excellent engine, and they come with solid axles front and rear. Weak points are the ignition modules, and the rear end (on this one we swapped out the factory Dana 35 for a Dana 44 from East Coast Gear Supply - the 44A ["A" means aluminum center] rear axle that comes with the V8 is an oddball axle with minimal aftermarket support). Jeep made a ton of ZJs, parts are readily available, and they are easy to work on and modify. This one pictured (98) has an IRO 3.5" lift and 31" tires, 4.10 gears, 9500lb Superwinch, and tru-tracs front and rear (and over 200,000 miles). First picture was taken up in Canada along the Dempster Highway, second picture was on the same trip somewhere in Canada.
-
View attachment 436687View attachment 436688View attachment 436693
-
2. 1996 or later Gen 2 (second generation) Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (OBD II started in 96 with these trucks). Two engines were offered: 5.2 or 5.9 V8s (318 or 360); both will work well. Solid straight axles front and rear. A plus if you can get one with the extended cab. Solid trucks, and like the Jeep GC there were a lot of them made, parts are readily available, and they are easy to work on. Weak points are the intake manifold plenum gasket, and the auto tranny. This one pictured has a Skyjacker 2" lift coil, 2" rear add-a-leaf, 285/75/16" tires (33"), 4.10 gears, 5.2/auto, and tru-tracs front and rear (with 225,000 miles). A Posi-Lok will easily take care of the sometimes problematic front axle's CAD vacuum activated system http://4x4posi-lok.com/app_dodge.html
-
View attachment 436689
-
Fuel injection is nice to have, and having OBD-II capability is also a plus. Both of these pictured are at least 20 years old.

I'm curious, why do you say to stay away from the V8 in the ZJ and then recommend the same V8 in the pickup?

rnArmy

Adventurer
I'm curious, why do you say to stay away from the V8 in the ZJ and then recommend the same V8 in the pickup?

Good question. It isn't because of the engine (it is a good engine), it is because of what the ZJ came with when it had the V8 engine. The V8 ZJ came with an all-wheel-drive 249 transfer case that tends to wear out and can be a little expensive to fix (a lot of folks just replace it with the 242 or 231 transfer case). It also came with the Dana 44A rear axle (an oddball axle with minimal aftermarket support - it is not a "real" Dana 44 like we're used to). Also, some folks think that since their ZJ came with a V8 that it is gold plated and commands a higher price. The OP seems to be on a budget (we've all been there), and since the 4.0 straight six is more than adequate (we drove one all over Canada pulling a small trailer), there's a lot more of the ZJs out there with the six vs. the eight, and they're cheaper than a comparable V8 ZJ - I recommend the ZJs with the 4.0.
-
Of course, both those things can be dealt with if you get a good deal on a V8 powered ZJ. I was speaking globally.

rruff

Explorer
There have been a few good posts, but most are just "hey this is what I have owned". Don't be offended for me stating the obvious. The OP's question was "what are some of the most reliable old vehicles", and you proceed to give him a sample size of one. I mean I could have had an extremely reliable land rover from the 1980's, they weren't all a POS right? Does that make my vehicle fit the bill?

Did anyone recommend a Land Rover?

A lot of people own what they own for good reason. It isn't random. If someone has a positive experience with the reliability of a particular vehicle that is something, yes? Especially when the OP is looking for a deal. The reliable vehicles that everyone knows about are popular and the premium is already priced in.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I have offered him more than "this is the car I drive", but you didn't care to see that. I offered him caution and understanding. There have been a few good posts, but most are just "hey this is what I have owned". Don't be offended for me stating the obvious. The OP's question was "what are some of the most reliable old vehicles", and you proceed to give him a sample size of one. I mean I could have had an extremely reliable land rover from the 1980's, they weren't all a POS right? Does that make my vehicle fit the bill?

Technically I gave him a sample size of two (the truck which I've owned since new; & the ZJ I built for my buddy with his help). I've had multiple 4x4s over the years that I have personal experience with in order to judge reliability and ease of working on, to include: 1989 Isuzu Trooper II, 1990 Range Rover "classic" (so I have a little experience with Rovers), 2003 KIA Sorento, 56 Willys truck (I miss that truck), 81 F-100 with the straight six, 46 Willys CJ2A (still own), 2017 Subaru Crosstrek (wife's car). But other than the Isuzu Trooper II (I should have put that on the list as a distant third option), I wouldn't recommend any of these that I've owned for what he was looking for for various reasons.

Last edited:

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
This thread is VERY ENTERTAINING!

There is NO such thing as a "RELIABLE OLD" vehicle that meets the needs of Modern Traffic, Speeds and Safety HOWEVER there certainly are a BUNCH of old guy's here that "Think" they know how to work on old vehicles which in their mind makes that old POS vehicle they own and drive "Reliable"!

Post after post continues to have the poster tell us about their "Reliable" vehicle and more importantly how they are able to repair and maintain that vehicle to keep that POS running and driving!

The reality is that modern vehicles are infinitely MORE RELIABLE than that old POS you currently drive that you "think" you can repair yourself. What's the difference? The fact that you are OLD and do not have the knowledge, tools and ability to repair a modern vehicle in NO WAY makes that modern vehicle less reliable.

It's ALL in your damn head!

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Did anyone recommend a Land Rover?

A lot of people own what they own for good reason. It isn't random. If someone has a positive experience with the reliability of a particular vehicle that is something, yes? Especially when the OP is looking for a deal. The reliable vehicles that everyone knows about are popular and the premium is already priced in.

No but other questionable vehicles were recommended. I'm not gonna poo on anyones vehicle choice, just giving the OP some caution that's all. I seriously doubt the OP is offended by my statements.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable

There is NO such thing as a "RELIABLE OLD" vehicle that meets the needs of Modern Traffic, Speeds and Safety HOWEVER there certainly are a BUNCH of old guy's here that "Think" they know how to work on old vehicles which in their mind makes that old POS vehicle they own and drive "Reliable"!

Post after post continues to have the poster tell us about their "Reliable" vehicle and more importantly how they are able to repair and maintain that vehicle to keep that POS running and driving!

The reality is that modern vehicles are infinitely MORE RELIABLE than that old POS you currently drive that you "think" you can repair yourself. What's the difference? The fact that you are OLD and do not have the knowledge, tools and ability to repair a modern vehicle in NO WAY makes that modern vehicle less reliable.

But it can't be so, everyones personal vehicle is the best.... so we are told.

ultraclyde

Observer
Good question. It isn't because of the engine (it is a good engine), it is because of what the ZJ came with when it had the V8 engine. The V8 ZJ came with an all-wheel-drive 249 transfer case that tends to wear out and can be a little expensive to fix (a lot of folks just replace it with the 242 or 231 transfer case). It also came with the Dana 44A rear axle (an oddball axle with minimal aftermarket support - it is not a "real" Dana 44 like we're used to). Also, some folks think that since their ZJ came with a V8 that it is gold plated and commands a higher price. The OP seems to be on a budget (we've all been there), and since the 4.0 straight six is more than adequate (we drove one all over Canada pulling a small trailer), there's a lot more of the ZJs out there with the six vs. the eight, and they're cheaper than a comparable V8 ZJ - I recommend the ZJs with the 4.0.
-
Of course, both those things can be dealt with if you get a good deal on a V8 powered ZJ. I was speaking globally.

Makes sense. I like the 8 in my ZJ, and the transfer case and rear are working fine so far, but I agree they might be a source of long term issues. Mine was severely neglected before I got it, and I've had to do so much work on it that I have a hard time thinking of it as reliable but I hope it will be someday. It hasn't left me anywhere (yet) but it has consumed a LOT of my time and money. I'd have a hard time recommending one unless you find one that has been really well maintained. I've only had it a few months, though, so I'm hoping that will change. Most of them I see for sale around here are basket case junk.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I've had to deal with carbs and points back in the day; fuel injection and electronic ignition are so much better. And I like having OBD-II to help troubleshoot problems. And pretty much anything within the last 20 years has all of that. So I guess you need to define "old". And "old" doesn't mean it is a POS, or is unreliable. All vehicles eventually need servicing and repair. I just bought a new Subaru Crosstrek for my wife (partly because of their quality reputation); but eventually it won't be new anymore.
-
But if you buy a used Jeep ZJ for $800 with the 4.0 (like we did - for example), you've got to figure you'll be putting some money into it the first year (like we did) - still way cheaper than a new vehicle. And you can do a lot of the repairs yourself and you get to learn the ins and outs of your vehicle. You don't give us "old" guys (is 57 old?) credit for being able to work on the newer vehicles. A lot of what folks consider "modern" has been around for years. I carry a code reader when I go overlanding. I carry tools too (to include some specialty tools). I'm kinda the guy you want to have with you on your trip in case something happens to your vehicle. But it is also nice to not have to have a computer degree to work on something.
-
I hope if you are taking a vehicle overlanding off the beaten path, that it is not some oddball vehicle with hard-to-find parts, and that you have some basic knowledge on how to repair your vehicle, and the ability to do so if needed. And don't travel alone (just one vehicle) - even brand new vehicles can have issues and can leave you stranded.

Attachments

• ZJ parking garage.1.jpg
    ZJ parking garage.1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

ultraclyde

Observer

I agree with this to some degree. Old vehicles take a LOT of work to be reliable. It's a lot easier, and often cheaper, to buy a new vehicle if ultimate reliability is your goal. I also suspect that, statistically, a brand new vehicle in, say, 1990, was less reliable than a brand new vehicle in 2018. I've always figured that I can make a monthly payment on a vehicle that's new enough not to need repairs, or I can write a check and spend my time each month to keep up an old vehicle. Both will end up costing you in the same ballpark once you figure in your time. In almost all cases a new vehicle will simply be better at any particular task, but some people find that old vehicles have spirit, or design, or personality that can't be found in newer ones. To be fair, though, "personality" is usually an assemblage of particular short comings or inefficiencies, lol.

Also, It kind of depends where you draw the line for "reliable." Certainly an older vehicle can be made "reliable" enough that you can depend on it to carry you through an adventure without breaking. But over time it will always require more maintenance and breakdown more frequently than a new vehicle.

As far as new vehicles being harder to work on, that's just not true. They're just different, and require a different skill set. Frankly I'd rather work on a newer vehicle. They do a pretty good job of telling you exactly what's wrong, and when you get the replacement parts they fit without having to force them. Old muscle car stuff always required some banging, forcing, wiggling or other shenanigans to get a part on. My '05 Mustang and my wife's '14 Mazda are some of the easiest cars I've ever wrenched on.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
It kinda also depends on where you draw the line for “old”.

I have 2 vehicles that are getting up there in age- a 1997 and a 2000. In today's disposable society, these things should have been traded for the newest whiz bang gizmo a ling time ago. Yet they are both ODBII, airbags, AC, power windows/doors, cruise.....

Are these “old”?

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
It kinda also depends on where you draw the line for “old”.

I have 2 vehicles that are getting up there in age- a 1997 and a 2000.

Are these “old”?

The government says that the average age of vehicles on the road today in the USA is 13 years old. We know how smart the government is therefore by their definition your vehicles are OLD!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke