What are some of the most reliable old vehicles?

MOguy

Explorer
This thread is VERY ENTERTAINING!

There is NO such thing as a "RELIABLE OLD" vehicle that meets the needs of Modern Traffic, Speeds and Safety HOWEVER there certainly are a BUNCH of old guy's here that "Think" they know how to work on old vehicles which in their mind makes that old POS vehicle they own and drive "Reliable"!

Post after post continues to have the poster tell us about their "Reliable" vehicle and more importantly how they are able to repair and maintain that vehicle to keep that POS running and driving!

The reality is that modern vehicles are infinitely MORE RELIABLE than that old POS you currently drive that you "think" you can repair yourself. What's the difference? The fact that you are OLD and do not have the knowledge, tools and ability to repair a modern vehicle in NO WAY makes that modern vehicle less reliable.

It's ALL in your damn head!
The title says most reliable OLD vehicle. Not old vehicles that are reliable like new vehicles.

Last edited:

CampStewart

Observer
The title says most reliable OLD vehicle. Not old vehicles that are reliable like new vehicles.

Lol it is funny how this thread got sidetracked with guys talking about modern safety, comfort, etc and feel the need to defend their personal vehicles.
I no longer own a square body Chevy but that was my recommendation. Here is one example of why I recommended it. To put it in 4wd you pull on a mechanical handle and engage a set of hubs. If they are given a reasonable amount of care and maintenance your 4wd will engage without fail for decades. Beginning in the next generation and continuing through today they had electronic engagement of the 4wd and of the axle. The front axle engagement was problematic and could fail without warning. The electric 4wd engagement could also fail without warning. There could be 3 or more reasons for either system to fail. There are hundreds of threads all over the net with people trying to diagnose 4wd engagement issues on these vehicles. If either of those systems fail you are not going to get yourself going again in 4wd without outside assistance. This is meant to be a simple analogy describing what I consider to be reliable for a rig that will be used in the back country.

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
I'll pitch in here with a dose of both schools of thought..

As far as the most reliable "Old" vehicle? Whichever one you've got the most passion for. To keep an "old" rig "reliable" you've got to be willing to live and breath it. That's a lot easier if you love it. It's less about reliability and more about keeping the thing maintained and catching little problems before they become big issues or leave you stranded.

I've repaired and maintained all my own rigs since I could drive. 1980 Ford Bronco with a 351M, 1988 Mazda B2600, 1986 K30 with a GM crate 454+4spd, and now a 2005 Silverado 2500HD. By far the easiest rig of all those to work on has been the '05. I love my Silverado, but it's no where near as sexy as that square body K30 was. I still miss that thing.

If you're just looking for something good and reliable without a payment? Look at pretty much anything you like in the early 2000's. They had OBDII figured out and hadn't started adding a bunch of other BS emissions or active cylinder control type stuff yet. Also, rigs that age are dirt cheap.

You want something cool and older? Like 30+ years old? At that point just snag something that stirs your soul. You want something you can't wait to drive. A truck that makes you look forward to going to work just because you enjoy the ride so much. If you love an old truck you'll be willing to put in the time it'll take to keep 'er running smooth.

My vote's for a square body Chev too.. tons of parts and GM is awesome about making swaps easy. Best of both worlds? Square body truck with an NV4500 5 speed and a 6.0L vortec swapped in..

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
if you decide to go to Old vehicle route and make sure you have a good friend with a the tow strap.

Here's my old vehicle situation of the day. My truck was used in the past primarily is a farm truck/ firewood truck. I've been working on it and fixing it up. It is running really really good,it goes and it stops great. However after using it as a semi daily driver over the last couple months it started throwing belts on occasion. I thought the power steering pulley was out of line. Upon further investigation I realized there's a wrong pulley on the harmonic balancer. My brother-in-law has a friend he thinks has the right one he's going to get it right now, my wife's making tacos. We'll have tacos and change pulley party tonight.

I like having the old truck to tinker on and for the social part as well as bringing it back to life. For me it is fun.
View attachment 434643

That truck puts a big stupid smile on my face..

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
I'll pitch in here with a dose of both schools of thought..

If you're just looking for something good and reliable without a payment? Look at pretty much anything you like in the early 2000's. They had OBDII figured out and hadn't started adding a bunch of other BS emissions or active cylinder control type stuff yet. Also, rigs that age are dirt cheap.

I agree.

Most OEM manufacturer's offered new models of virtually their complete line of vehicles between 1998-2005 with "Mo Modern" vehicles designed in the mid 1990's to early 2000's with new technology and assembly methods resulting in much better vehicles. Many of their previous offerings were designed in the 1970's and 1980's!

The other beauty of vehicles of this 1998-2005 vintage is that they are still repairable and maintainable by the average Joe with average abilities and tools. As previously stated the OBDII will usually tell you what's wrong with the vehicle.

After 2005 going forward you again begin to see the cycle again change with more more material technology, safety and electronics pushing out the average Joe from repairing and maintaining their vehicle unless they have the tools and computer knowledge needed for vehicle repair on these newer OEM offerings.

An example would be diesel powered truck is 2007.5 and older trucks that do not have DEF requirements. That sure makes most any manufacturer's 2003-2007.5 diesel much more desirable on the used market. That might even include a 6.0 Ford AFTER you fix all the problems they now have or will have in the near future!

JimmyHall

I think this may holds good "1990 Volvo 240 DL".

This Volvo 240 is a staple in the cheap car marketplace as a reliable, reasonably well-equipped. You can buy a few of them for under the budget, so that’s what you should do. Don’t wait, just do it and experience .

MOguy

Explorer
I know it's not over Landing but my Square managed to bring me home 2 and 1/2 to 3 tons of gravel today without skipping a Beat

IMG_20180322_113603723.jpg

Peneumbra2

Badger Wrangler
Well, our 1947 Packard 7-passenger sedan has been very reliable. A 356 cubic inch straight-eight with nine main bearings, three-speed manual with electromatic overdrive, and you just push one lever to get the air conditioning (cowl vent) to function...

Silverado08

Observer
Just trying to bring some "old timers" (like myself) up to speed a little. Oil brands can be a touchy subject with some. I'm a firm believer of "sampling". Just like going to the doctor = The blood test tells all. Most OTR truckers who own their own rigs do this religiously. Many can go over 80K miles before an oil change.

Sampling analysis not only states the condition of the oil (based on the brand), but also wear particles attributed to air & oil filtration and contaminates like coolant and oil delusion (very common now with newer direct injection). Sampling is very specific to the application: Vehicle brand and year.

With oil sampling, I can go much longer than the oil mfg recommends between oil changes. I WOULD NOT jeopardize my engine for saving a few bucks. Sampling costs about $25 so it's not so much about saving $. It's about knowing the condition of the engine and oil. I sample about every couple years depending on my off hwy use.
You do realize that OTR rigs dont rev too high which is the main reason they can go long ways before oil changes..imo brand of oil makes no diff.. for those rigs

Silverado08

Observer
I want to spend more refurbishing something mechanically simple than buying new (unless someone were to actually cater to this), even if I was a billionaire. For instance, my buddy has an old 1990 Toyota pickup, super simple engine with the 22-RE and a manual trans.

This is the sort of thing I'm looking for, but Toyotas.... They cost so damn much these days, even when they're 25-35 years old. It's kind of outrageous, really, and it is only getting worse.

Did no one else make anything close in terms of reliability and simplicity? Especially if there's something that maybe has ONE well known weakness that you can be prepared for or replace with a better aftermarket part.

Main interest is any pickup or SUV that has back seats that allows me to sleep in the back (i.e. inside a topper for the pickup).
Fwiw I have 08 Silverado, bought new,and my biggest fix to date was 160$ for tiny air bag sensor located under front bumper,,brakes lasted 7 years,,
living in rust belt I undercoat and touch up chasis frame religiously every summer,
wouldnt want any older vehicle anymore..new ones are bulet proof unles you beat it on some rocks..
My next truck will be electric though,,either Bolinger or Workhorse,,or Tesla..

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
If you want to drive older you have to expect some "upkeep" as old stuff wears out.
I will admit openly that I am a Toyota guy and will gladly pay a bit of a premium for one that is in good shape and not modified by a previous owner. My two current vehicles are both "old". 1989 Toyota 4x4 pickup with a 4cylinder and a 1977 Landcruiser that has been in the family for almost 30 years. Neither motor has ever been rebuilt and I wouldn't hesitate to drive either one across the country; granted, I do carry a lot of tools and have a 50 mile towing addition on my insurance policy. This should get me to the nearest parts store where I can fix it or in a worst case scenario, a fix it shop if it is something major.
These vehicles definitely lack some creature comforts such as: A/C, power windows, automatic transmissions, descent stereos, powerful engines, as well as all the other bells and whistles that new trucks have; but I don't want any of that stuff. In my job I get the chance to drive newer 3/4 ton work trucks as well as top of the line Toyota Sequoias and Tacomas. All are comfortable vehicles but I find them boring to drive. I like driving and part of that is the character of the vehicle.
I love driving both of my vehicles and I have a hard time deciding which one I want to drive when I walk out of my house in the morning. It just depends on how I feel that day! My wife drives a very comfortable and reliable 1998 Toyota 4Runner and I would rather take one of my vehicles over hers whenever we go somewhere, and we usually do.
But; if you want to drive older, make sure you can turn a wrench. And preventive maintenance is your friend!

93-94 FZJ80 Land Cruiser. Big inline 6, full floating axles, limited electronics, OBD1, and a huge transmission that rarely fails except for solenoids which are just inside the pan next to the filter. They will require maintenance, but there are plenty of parts available and easy to work on with basic hand tools. Find one in the south without rust and you are golden.

I have had some good Chevy's and Toyota pickups too and currently own 2 other land cruisers of other years, but the FZJ80 is still my favorite.

TeamDoty

Cpt. TeamDoty
I didn't dig through all the pages but if you're on a budget I'd look at a Jeep Cherokee (XJ - chassis). Specifically get one 1991 (I think) or newer. These had a 4.0L HO engine and the earlier of these had a pretty simple throttle body injection system.

The engines in these are considered to be some of the most reliable and longest running engines out there. People often got around 300K miles out of them. They are an inline 6cyl and have lots of torque.

Being Jeeps... they are fairly inexpensive to upgrade and there are a million aftermarket accessories, parts, upgrades, etc. for it.

I had one for a number of years and modified it significantly for some pretty extreme offroading. It was a great rig and I hated to part with it but it just wasn't big enough for all of TeamDoty to ride in it.

If you can find one with the AX-15 manual transmission and 4 wheel drive you've found a real gem in my opinion... took me months to find mine.

I built a raised up plywood deck in the rear hatch area using black pipe and flanges. This allowed me to put heavy items that could bounce around offroad under there safely. You could do something similar and lay the rear seat down and sleep on it.

Some folks like the 2 dr. versions - these had reclining bucket seats and more rear wheel well space for enlarging the wheel wells.

Good luck, looks like you have a lot of great input here in these posts!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne