What are some of the most reliable old vehicles?

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
6.2 CUCV would get you a full size square bodied GM pickup with a (gutless) fuel efficient “ish” diesel...

I have two ‘84 K10 Suburbans, both in good mechanical shape. One has a new Goodwrench crate 350 and “high altitude” emissions. This means regualar vacuum advance HEI and non-feedback Q-jet. The motor has about 20k on it sot’s fresh but broken in. The other has the 6.2 and has over 750k on it, motor never out of chassis and heads never off the block.

The 6.2 diesel is far more powerful and quicker than the 350 gas. The 350 might have a slight edge over the 6.2 in sheer top end speed, but I knida doubt it. Most square Suburbans in stock form top out around 100 mph. I’ve never tried to top out this particular gas Suburban, but the 6.2 will do 96-98 (just not up hill)!

That said, I really prefer TBI to carb or diesel!

On driving something old “expedition style,” I would say to buy something that is still someone’s daily driver. It will already be “sorted” and should be fairly reliable. I’m talking about something that you’ve been seeing them drive around town for years and have admired. You’ll have to convince them to sell it but they won’t want to at first. You’ll have to convince them that you will take care of it and that you really want it. Eventually they will be ready to move on to something newer and will appreciate someone else appreciating and taking care of their “baby.”

Otherwise be prepared to rebuild everything before you consider it “reliable.” Also remember that most vehicles were “reliable” in stock form when new. Resist the urge to upgrade and modify things until your experience shows that modification is necessary.

Also remember, things that break off road don’t always need to be upgraded. That CV axle that blew on the trail? The one that’s been clicking for months? That doesn’t mean it’s time for a Dana 60, coil overs, and 40’s. It was on its way out already and you’ll be fine if you replace it with a new stock part.

That brings the question of aftermarket stock replacement parts up. Some of the stuff from the parts house is junk. GM ifs CV axles? The Chinese replacements are weaker and have significantly less travel than OEM. Sometimes it’s better to hit the wrecking yard and refurbish an OEM part than to grab one from AutoZone. Check out brand specific sites for details on what works on your specific vehicle. This applies to stuff like tie rod ends and ball joints, brake parts, and anything else really.

You really have to pay attention to things as simple as shock travel with replacement parts now days. That’s right, many off the shelf replacement shocks will “fit” but are too short when compreed, extended, or both.

Anything with unitized hub bearings I would recommend going SKF as they make most of the OEM units. They work better than the Timkens usually too.

Overall I find that with a vehicle that is mostly stock I can enjoy driving more and wrenching less. With “expedition” style travel in mind, the main goal is “getting there” not “driving over the biggest pile of rocks” so big lifts and huge tires usually cause more trouble than they’re worth. With careful choice of route and line you will find that you can “get there” in something stock!

Careful choice of tire in a near stock size, careful choice of gears to fit your application, a traction aid to fit your applicaion, and perhaps a winch are the best mods one can make in my opinion.

Sorry for the novel, I hope you find what you are looking for!

jkam

nomadic man
My daily driver is a 1978 Mercedes 240D. One of the most reliable cars ever made.
Simple ,easy enough to work on and will outlast most of us here.
Mine has an auxiliary fuel tank in the trunk, giving me a 1000 mile range.
For a 40 year old car it has reasonable features that make it still nice to drive.

You just have to learn not to be in any hurry.

Simons

Adventurer
Quote “The 6.2 diesel is far more powerful and quicker than the 350 gas. The 350 might have a slight edge over the 6.2 in sheer top end speed, but I knida doubt it. Most square Suburbans in stock form top out around 100 mph. I’ve never tried to top out this particular gas Suburban, but the 6.2 will do 96-98 (just not up hill)!

That said, I really prefer TBI to carb or diesel. End quote

Sorry, I should have qualified my previous statement to “in comparison to modern turbo charged diesels”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
My daily driver is a 1978 Mercedes 240D. One of the most reliable cars ever made.
For a 40 year old car it has reasonable features that make it still nice to drive.

This is an awesome expedition platform. Parts are available worldwide and mechanics everywhere (especially in developing nations) are very familiar with them. Almost as easy to keep running with spit and bailing wire as a model t ford but far more comfortable and faster!

I read a trip log somewhere of a guy that bought one in Europe somewhere I think and drove it (with his family I think) acfoss Europe and Asia with the end goal to abandon it and fly home. It was a neat story with many sketchy border crossings! I don’t remember where I found it.

A friend of mine is into these but they aren’t as sexy as a big lifted 4x4!

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
I guess I should have said, “I can believe no one has mentioned Land Rover...”

My Defender hasn't had any engine issues...since I installed a GM engine and tranny!

Old Griz

This can be easily mitigated with using an appropriate lubricant:

AMSOIL Z-ROD® 10W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor.../z-rod-10w-30-synthetic-motor-oil/
AMSOIL Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil is recommended for older or modified engines requiring either 10W-30 or 20W-50 motor oil. Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil meets API SL and earlier specifications, allowing for increased levels of anti-wear additives. ZDDP levels in Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil exceed the limits of API SM ...

I'm an Amsoil dealer and yes I promote their products. However if you notice, I've made no reference to buying it from me. It took me 10 years to get "comfortable" using their products that state various claims about longer oil changes and superior lubrication.

The proof in the pudding for me was "oil sampling". The oil analysis tells no lies.

In fairness, most name-brand synthetic oils (even blends) are much better than dino oils. Be it for engine, transmissions or drivetrains. Some are technically better than others, but still synthetics are the best ... especially for older rides! Don't be fooled by the "it'll start leaking oil" syndrome....
It will not cause new oil leaks, but it will make existing leaks more apparent as it reduces dinosludge from clogged leaks. But, this is a good thing in my books, it shows you what needs work.

ExplorerTom

Explorer

I have a friend with a '78 300CD. What a pile of junk. Motor rebuilt at 185k miles. LOUD as hell from the exhaust manifold leaks. Most uncomfortable seats I've ever sat in. None of the vacuum actuated things work- door locks standing out in my mind. Slow as the day is long. Steering that wanders like crazy (I was told it was a "feature" for high speed autobahn driving- but my Explorer with a worn steering box doesn't instill high speed driving confidence so I think he's full of it).

He doesn't drive it. It sits in his garage piled with crap.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
I have a friend with a '78 300CD. What a pile of junk. Motor rebuilt at 185k miles. LOUD as hell from the exhaust manifold leaks. Most uncomfortable seats I've ever sat in. None of the vacuum actuated things work- door locks standing out in my mind. Slow as the day is long. Steering that wanders like crazy (I was told it was a "feature" for high speed autobahn driving- but my Explorer with a worn steering box doesn't instill high speed driving confidence so I think he's full of it).

He doesn't drive it. It sits in his garage piled with crap.

The car isn't inherently unreliable. Obviously it has been reduced to rubbish by an incompetent mechanic (or a string of them)...

I will agree that the seats aren't the most comfortable.

Any guy with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers in the 3rd world could probably get it back to an acceptable level of performance. Just don't trust the one that has a HAMMER in his tool bag!

MOguy

Explorer
I had a 1980 300SD and a1984 190D. They made decent commuter cars. The 190D was very basic, no AC, not even electric windows.

jkam

nomadic man
My 240D was a one owner car when I got it. They must have been reasonably wealthy because they did European delivery.
In 1978 that must have been something. First service is a shop in Dusseldorf, I have a complete history of the car from day one.
It did need some things like the dreaded vacuum system fixed.
No A/C, 4 speed manual, they did splurged on an electric sunroof and windows.
It had 107,000 miles on it when I got it last year, I've added almost 8,000 in that time.
One big road trip and went 928 miles before I chickened out and refueled, reserve light still not on.
It's a joy to drive and still looks great after 40 years of service.
I'm hoping to pass it on to a youngster in the family that appreciates it.
I have a 16 year old niece that thinks it's the coolest, I taught her how to drive a manual transmission
with it.

These things are still all over the place in rural Africa, mostly used as Taxi's, many with many 100's of thousands of kilometers on them.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Two options to try and answer the OP's original question:

1. Later model Jeep ZJ Grand Cherokees with the 4.0 straight six (avoid the ones with the V8 engine). I'm partial to the 1998 model (last year of the ZJ) with the 242 transfer case. The 4.0 straight six is an excellent engine, and they come with solid axles front and rear. Weak points are the ignition modules, and the rear end (on this one we swapped out the factory Dana 35 for a Dana 44 from East Coast Gear Supply - the 44A ["A" means aluminum center] rear axle that comes with the V8 is an oddball axle with minimal aftermarket support). Jeep made a ton of ZJs, parts are readily available, and they are easy to work on and modify. This one pictured (98) has an IRO 3.5" lift and 31" tires, 4.10 gears, 9500lb Superwinch, and tru-tracs front and rear (and over 200,000 miles). First picture was taken up in Canada along the Dempster Highway, second picture was on the same trip somewhere in Canada.
-
Yukon Dempster Eagle Pass Copy.2.JPGYukon Keith and Jeep.1.jpgZJ parking garage.1.jpg
-
2. 1996 or later Gen 2 (second generation) Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (OBD II started in 96 with these trucks). Two engines were offered: 5.2 or 5.9 V8s (318 or 360); both will work well. Solid straight axles front and rear. A plus if you can get one with the extended cab. Solid trucks, and like the Jeep GC there were a lot of them made, parts are readily available, and they are easy to work on. Weak points are the intake manifold plenum gasket, and the auto tranny. This one pictured has a Skyjacker 2" lift coil, 2" rear add-a-leaf, 285/75/16" tires (33"), 4.10 gears, 5.2/auto, and tru-tracs front and rear (with 225,000 miles). A Posi-Lok will easily take care of the sometimes problematic front axle's CAD vacuum activated system http://4x4posi-lok.com/app_dodge.html
-
Cover.1.jpg
-
Fuel injection is nice to have, and having OBD-II capability is also a plus. Both of these pictured are at least 20 years old.

Last edited:

Hnoroian

Observer
Vw beetle (pre 75, but your not in ca) baja it out and it will get you lost. Cheap and easy to work on and fix quickly. I've slept in mine plenty of times and been plenty comfortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94