Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: What are some of the most reliable old vehicles?

Mr socal Tom, if I may ask, are/were you in the public service field?
    Not trying to be rude, it seems as though you have a need to educate people about regulations in CA on a thread that is about reliable old vehicles.
    Not everyone on this thread is from Cali.

Your last sentence is correct.

straight 6 Ford pickup, as someone mentioned. Nissan Hardbody 4 cylinder pickup is called the poor man's Toyota, but I've always preferred mine to the '92 Toyota pickup I had for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by Comanche Scott View Post
    Model A Tudor. Incredibly reliable and simple. It's a 4 door with a very comfortable back seat.
    The Tudors had 2 doors. The Fordors had 4.

2016 Toyota Tundra SR 4x4 Double Cab Long Bed 5.7L..... DIY camper on the way...

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
    straight 6 Ford pickup, as someone mentioned. Nissan Hardbody 4 cylinder pickup is called the poor man's Toyota, but I've always preferred mine to the '92 Toyota pickup I had for several years.
    No doubt that straight 6 will last but parts are more of an issue for Ford. Ford changed thing more often than Chevy and parts aren't as available, at least out my way.

If you are wanting to go old school and keep something running it is hard to beat a Chevy 350 small block. You don't have to go far to find parts for them.

Too many Ford trucks have that goofy-*** front twin I-beam suspension crab also.
    Last edited by MOguy; 02-13-2018 at 11:47 AM.
    2001 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 34X10.5 ARB front and rear, winch, belly up and other stuff.

...A name has been added to the ignore list...

Enjoy!
    Moderate trail off road vehicle; 2006 TJ Rubicon, 4.10s, 4:1 low range, OEM lockers, 32" MTs...
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford Explorer Sport, 2dr, 4wd, 4.10s, ARB rear, Torsen front, 32" MTs...
    Ground tents work best for me so far...
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Quote Originally Posted by rruff View Post
    The Tudors had 2 doors. The Fordors had 4.
    Thanks for catching this.

I know better. I just finished rebuilding the carburetor, updating the battery and tuning up my Brother's '29 Blindback.
    Maybe it's just wishful thinking, as I'd like to have a Tudor.

Lots of good points made so far for sure. You can make any older iron new again if you replace every part. This is easy and affordable with small block powered GM products and Dodge products, I don’t have much experience with that era Ford. The important part is finding a solid frame and rust free body to start with, which is difficult as far as older Toyota’s go. This may also be why if you find one they tend to command a premium. But in my experience that price difference isn’t really ever lost because you tend recoup if you sell it. With gas prices these days though, four cylinder mileage vs. V8 could be a deciding factor too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Default What are some of the most reliable old vehicles?

6.2 CUCV would get you a full size square bodied GM pickup with a (gutless) fuel efficient “ish” diesel... then again if you’re not going far, need to haul anything, or stand taller than 5’10”, then a Samurai is a fun, affordable, fuel efficient little beast worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Simons View Post
    Lots of good points made so far for sure. You can make any older iron new again if you replace every part. This is easy and affordable with small block powered GM products and Dodge products, I don’t have much experience with that era Ford. The important part is finding a solid frame and rust free body to start with, which is difficult as far as older Toyota’s go. This may also be why if you find one they tend to command a premium. But in my experience that price difference isn’t really ever lost because you tend recoup if you sell it. With gas prices these days though, four cylinder mileage vs. V8 could be a deciding factor too.

My son had a 1986 Toyota P/U 4x4 with a 4-cylinder. It used a lot more gas than I expected. It did better than my 1ton but not much better than my Jeep.
    2001 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 34X10.5 ARB front and rear, winch, belly up and other stuff.

Default Steyr 12M18 - USA legal

If somebody is looking for a USA legal heavy type expedition camper chassis, look at www.excap.de
    They take ex Austrian Army Steyr 12M18s and completely refurbish them, also very useful upgrades like intercooler with hp increased from 177 to 220-240-300, roof rack, larger tires, better shocks, etc. 9 spd ZF synchro transmission is standard. No computers, mechanical engine. The trucks were originally built in late 80s-early 90s so they are importable.
    Obviously there's a price to be paid, and he's booked up about 2 yrs in advance right now.
    Unimog U500 with Unicat camper; diesel BMW X5 35d, diesel BJ40 Landcruiser and diesel M37

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast