Install Cam instead of window?

Coachgeo

Explorer
Did a search but if there is a thread on this it is lost in the frey. If one exist please point me in the right direction.

The camper module am using for my Overland truck build is a former Ambo box. No windows on sides but one side door and rear door. Instead of installing window which lowers insulation, adds high cost, changes structural integrity etc. am considering just a camera instead.

Any ideas on that? (on the camera idea... not so much the merits of why camera vs window. that is for another thread maybe) open to ideas on cam and ways to view it.

Example thoughts.. how to keep limbs etc. from not damaging cam.. yet cam not obstructed by protection system?? Moisture issues? cam quality? remote control movable cam?

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Make sure you are getting a camera with buildin ventilation :) That way you can skip the windows LOL

Just kidding. I'm not sure how you would be getting air flow and day light in your camper. I could not see myself being in a closed box and not able to enjoy the surroundings.

Coachgeo

Explorer
Make sure you are getting a camera with buildin ventilation :) That way you can skip the windows LOL

Just kidding. I'm not sure how you would be getting air flow and day light in your camper. I could not see myself being in a closed box and not able to enjoy the surroundings.
Solar and LED's will be lighting. creating enough Ventilation much less expensive than windows. "Natural light" Good point. Should add a UV lamp for occasional use like in winter to help in natural Vitamin D production (if it works that way )

downhill

Adventurer
Similar problem to providng a view from a buried container home. You could install cameras that feed to a screen(s) on the inside walls and play a real time "view" just as though you were looking through a window. It is a "virtual" window. I don't think you would actually save weight or money over a well designed window, but you may be more thermally efficient. Also, the right windows provide tons of nice quiet passive airflow. Getting that much air through powered vents will be noisy. Hard to beat good windows!

Last edited:

Coachgeo

Explorer
Similar problem to providng a view from a buried container home. You could install cameras that feed to a screen(s) on the inside walls and play a real time "view" just as though you were looking through a window. It is a "virtual" window. I don't think you would actually save weight or money over a well designed window, but you may be more thermally efficient. Also, the right windows provide tons of nice quiet passive airflow. Getting that much air through powered vents will be noisy. Hard to beat good windows!
Thanks for input on ventilation. This won't be an issue. On this Ambo box there is a walk thru to the cab door. Unfortunately will not be able to do this walk thru too my cab but I can utilize it to create a huge vent of air flow from behind cab on to cracked open back doors. I could also replace the three existing windows (one on each regular door) with windows that open. Ones on it are smoked black.

Coachgeo

Explorer
maybe you could get a drone so that you don't have to go outside either?
Thought of that..... with a small garage to fly it into on the roof. But actually ..... really thought of that... but not for personal viewing..... but for occasional video cause you know what they say about those stories we tell on the net...... if their is no pics/video..... it didn't happen.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
I put a skylight (eventually sun roof) in the van build Im doing...and a cheap $30 camera with screen thats on when the ignition is on...works pretty good...

Its a long body cargo with no windows other than in the front 2 doors and windshield..kids want a few other windows...Im not so sure..they always stare at their phones anyway...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles