advice on size

06 flstfise

I am looking at buying a second utility trailer to make into our "camping" trailer. Have an 05 Landcruiser that has served us well. We have been using a roof rack system with bikes and a cargo box when we go on our extended trips to either coast. But getting tired of loading everything up on top of the truck and we would like to start to bring our dog with which will chew up more space inside. We generally like to stay in National forests, state parks or national parks.

Have always liked the M416 builds that I have seen, but not the price of them. Being in WI there aren't that many that come up for sale and if they do usually have lots of rust. So I got to thinking why not just convert a utility trailer to fit my needs. I currently have a homemade 4x8 (couple inches bigger to make loading 4x8 sheets easier) and want to just keep that for what it was built for. I have a lead on both a 4x6 and 5x8 utility trailer.

My idea is to put a set of cross bars on top to mount the bikes and inclose the bottom foot or two so we can keep all of our gear in there. Both trailers are of good quality and about the same price. I am leaning towards the 4x6 due to the fact it would be easier to move around and fit in camp sites easy. Only future add on at this time would be for some water cans possibly but not a huge need at this time. No RTT in the plans at all. Still need to keep it a "utility" trailer as it will have 3k axels which is bigger than the current one and would make hauling some landscaping plans easier. Gas mileage and easy of pulling are on the radar of concerns.

So for those that have or have built a trailer which would you recommend. I have searched and read a bunch on here and know most say bigger.

Should also add that I have access to a lot of different trailers if I need. Thank you

Last edited:

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
I have several trailers from an M416 to a M0101 A 3....I love them all, but they each serve different purposes. The military platforms are so rugged and well put together its hard to steer away from them. I think what you might want to look at is the M1101 aluminum hummer trailers that are starting to pop up all over the place on government auctions. Most folks are getting them for under a grand and they can take both a lot of equipment and are easy to mode ort add racks to. the link below is an example.

http://www.govplanet.com/

06 flstfise

Thanks for the reply. I have watched govplanet before but nothing good ever pops up close enough to make it worth it. I ended up going with the 4X6 for now for a couple reasons. It will be easier to store at the house, has metal walls already, brand new tires and bearings, and was couple hundred cheaper. I have a grand idea in my head on how I hope this works out and that we will use it. BUT like a lot of things life sometimes has different plans. I will update this as I build it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior