Weatherproof Firewood storage?

outback97

Adventurer

$200 duffel bag for hauling firewood? :Wow1:

I would just apply some waterproofing to a regular duffel bag. Or line one with a trash bag.

Just a thought regarding kindling. Here in Michigan we couldn't transport any firewood or kindling out of the county years ago because of the beetle issue. I switched over to cutting up free pallets that many places were giving away. They're very easy to cut to a specific length, burn well, no bugs, and stack extremely well in a hard sided box, cardboard box, duffel bag, etc. You can also split them ahead of time or at the site with a hatchet for kindling or use them for firewood as well.

No mess trying to fit "logs" into the vehicle for that nights fire. Just pull out a box, or bag, for that night.

T.

I have used similar wood for kindling and fires, it does work pretty well but burns quickly.

If it's stamped HT (heat treated) it should be safe, but make absolutely sure it's not chemically treated or you could get some nasty stuff when you burn it.

B

BPD53

Good seasoned oak firewood can take some rain without getting soaked throughout. I'd just stack it up there and toss a cheap harbor freight tarp over it. Simple and effective. You can also use the tarp to kneel on while you build your fire.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Using a duffle bag with a garbage bag liner is the simplest and least expensive so far, as I can see. Absolutely brilliant.

I have a Campfire in a Can. No issues with burn bans and I can cook on it as well. Seems to weather OK on the roof rack with no rain issues. Gave up on carrying wood a long time ago.

jgaz

Adventurer
Using a duffle bag with a garbage bag liner is the simplest and least expensive so far, as I can see. Absolutely brilliant.

This^^
USGI surplus duffle bag lined with a large, contractor garbage bag if I expect rain. Also mine is usually lumber yard scrap that I get from a friend. I cut it to fit nicely into the duffle bag at home

krick3tt

Adventurer
Just today I went by a huge dumpster loaded with prime firewood from a construction project, 2x4, 4x4, 4x6, etc. My pile in the back yard is almost 3/4 cord now so I don't need additional.
Most construction projects will let you take from their cut off bins as they pay by weight to have the stuff hauled away, just ask at the supervisor trailer or even at the site. I have gotten so much wood this way and no bugs or things to cause damage to the forest in them. Pallets are another way to score free wood but the labor to take/saw them apart is sometimes extreme.
Put them in your duffle bag, haul them to the camp and make a great fire.

PIC4GOD

Adventurer
Just a thought regarding kindling. Here in Michigan we couldn't transport any firewood or kindling out of the county years ago because of the beetle issue. I switched over to cutting up free pallets that many places were giving away. They're very easy to cut to a specific length, burn well, no bugs, and stack extremely well in a hard sided box, cardboard box, duffel bag, etc. You can also split them ahead of time or at the site with a hatchet for kindling or use them for firewood as well.

No mess trying to fit "logs" into the vehicle for that nights fire. Just pull out a box, or bag, for that night.

T.
As long as the pallets are not pressure treated with chemicals all is good. Last thing you want to breathe in is chemicals from a pallet. When I was much younger we used to have bonfires using pallets quite often but now I look back at what we didn't know and I'm surprised I don't have lung disease or cancer.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

conifers4

Suburban nomad

T.

What about those pesty nails

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne