My Taxa Cricket mod/build...

Jafrench

Observer
Phase 1 of LPG on-demand hot water complete:

Mounted the Eccotemp in a Pelican case as many others have done. Found some aluminum c-channel and flat bar at the hardware store and made a mount to put the Pelican on the side of the trailer. I wanted it removable so it wasn't sticking out from the side of the trailer in transport. I'll have an LPG tank mounted on the tongue in close proximity the Eccotemp. The added benefit of where I located the water heater is that is can be turned on and adjusted through the window from inside the cabin and if you're outside for a shower or washing dishes, you can reach in through the window and turn on the 12v pump (just need to relocate the switch a bit closer). On to the pics...IMG-0859.JPGIMG-0860.JPGIMG-0861.JPGIMG-0862.JPGIMG-0863.JPGIMG-0864.JPG

Pjz

It's a solid unit for sure. Haven't used it out camping yet but the problem of lack of range of height of my previous jack is solved. This thing can be tall, short or anything in between making coupling to the vehicle a much easier process.

Thanks. Going to order one up for sure. Added 2.5 inches of lift on mine and need something taller.

Jafrench

Observer
Modifications continue...

Pulled counter/shelving:
IMG_0921.JPG

Sold water heater pictured below to local chap in need of a replacement (thanks Scott, and for motivating me to post updates):
IMG_0920.JPG
IMG_0928.JPG

Phase 2 of LPG on-demand hot water complete:
Had to mount my new tongue box for increased storage:
IMG_0922.JPG

so I could mount propane tanks:
IMG_0974.JPG
Driver's side tank will have quick connect to propane hot water heater as well as to Propex HS2000 (see below) through one of the holes (removed shower hook-up) on the front of the trailer.
IMG_0964.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0921.JPG
    IMG_0921.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 70

Jafrench

Observer
Since we'll have on-demand hot water, I needed to increase the fresh water carrying capacity so pulled the stock Taxa tank (11 gallons I think) as well as the the gray water tank and added a 25 gallon fresh water tank. Forgot to snap a pic of the tank but if I have to drop the aluminum skid to replace the fill hose I'll get one. Had a 1/4" aluminum skid cut and bent to hold the tank.
IMG_0977.JPG
IMG_0978.JPG
IMG_0979.JPG

ottsville

Observer
Dang nice work! 1/4" skid, that's pretty serious...

Looking at your holes through the floor(specifically the water pump pic) is the floor a honeycomb panel?

Jafrench

Observer
Dang nice work! 1/4" skid, that's pretty serious...

Looking at your holes through the floor(specifically the water pump pic) is the floor a honeycomb panel?
Thanks. It's definitely overkill. Luckily it's not too heavy. I should have used 3/16" or even 1/8" but at least my water will be protected;). Lesson learned

Floor is 1" ply. All those holes were for various plumbing and electrical running from cabin to under chassis. I'm only reusing a few so will plug/fill/cover the rest.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Nice build.
I'm on my way home with a Taxa Tiger Moth that's been thoroughly used with over 10, 000 miles in the last 60 days with over 2000 off road.

I'm hoping the trailer stays together for the next few thousand miles back home and am interested in seeing what needs to be done to make a truly capable off-road.

I was thinking of the timbren axleless system as I think the torsion bar axle is shot.

I had already extended the tongue and put a receiver hitch for a Lunette ring and added two spare tire mounts.

Attachments

• IMG_20180705_225119855.jpg
    IMG_20180705_225119855.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 295
  • IMG_20180705_230059577.jpg
    IMG_20180705_230059577.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 295
  • IMG_20180705_175131029.jpg
    IMG_20180705_175131029.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 275

Jafrench

Observer
Nice build.
I'm on my way home with a Taxa Tiger Moth that's been thoroughly used with over 10, 000 miles in the last 60 days with over 2000 off road.

I'm hoping the trailer stays together for the next few thousand miles back home and am interested in seeing what needs to be done to make a truly capable off-road.

I was thinking of the timbren axleless system as I think the torsion bar axle is shot.

I had already extended the tongue and put a receiver hitch for a Lunette ring and added two spare tire mounts.
Thanks.

You ain't kiddin' with "thoroughly used"! You're hitting it hard. Well done. Have you had any problems with rivets popping? How/where did you mount the tires?

I've done some pretty rough trails but don't have nearly the number of miles you do. My biggest concern at this point is the hinged roof not holding up at the hinge. I've had some rivets pop but not too concerned about that. Also had a bad blow out and the tire tread messed up the mud guard and part of the side of the trailer. Fixed the mud guard but not sure what to do with the side wall yet.

I've briefly looked at the Tiger Moth but didn't look too closely at the frame as it was not in the cards for me needing sleeping accommodations for 4. I think if you want Timbrens you'll at a minimum need to reinforce the frame where they're mounted. For max durability you'll probably want a complete boxed frame.

Good luck with the mods and safe travels!

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I've popped some rivets and replaced them when I saw them missing. The spare tires mount is bolted to the frame.

I realized ,when I bought the trailer , it was designed to be towed behind a Subaru for occasional use not for the use we put it through. I decided to take a chance .

There are no off road trailers that you can sit up in . You can in the TM . We spent most of our trip in bear country and having a hard side trailer was very comforting for my wife.

The trailer is very warm in cold weather and cozy. I have a great fabricator who can strengthen the frame .

Attachments

• IMG_20180719_095823844.jpg
    IMG_20180719_095823844.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 343
  • IMG_20180726_194439018.jpg
    IMG_20180726_194439018.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 390
  • IMG_20180727_114050358.jpg
    IMG_20180727_114050358.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 348

calicamper

Expedition Leader
JaFrench I’m curious about your feedback regarding if the Cricket has the space option to rig up kids bunks that are a little more stable and weight capable. My initial thought was as some light weight composit board as a bed frame attached to the top inside edge of the hard trailer side in the front section where the pop up lends more head room. Then flip them up or at least partially up for more head room if weather runs us inside to play cards waiting out a T-storm etc.

I could see my self wanting to remove the front cabinets and rigging up a storage system for our gear. Our current Life Time tent trailer has some negatives that the Cricket trailer would fix if I could figure out kid sleeping spots that aren’t hanging over my head. As for interior use we only sleep and stow stuff for security etc. We cook outside. The Cricket hard sides also add Bear country capability vs our current “Tent” on a trailer is very much tent camping.

A bat wing style awning would be slick but the shape of the Cricket complicates that type of idea, some type of fancy side wall mounted rack would be needed for an awning. Have you pondered any ideas like that? Its been fun hearing your ideas and seeing your modifications take shape.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
My TM never made it home. The frame cracked in two places and the insurance company ended up totaling the trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles