My Taxa Cricket mod/build...

Jafrench

Observer
Some have asked for me to document what I'm doing to my Cricket so here goes.

I started my camping trailer life with an AT Chaser w/ large rooftop tent. I'd still have it today if not for the wife and kids needing a little more creature comfort. I wanted to still get off the beaten path but needed a hard sided trailer that wasn't going to cost $60k and be imported from South Africa or Australia. We rented an off road teardrop from coloradoteardrops.com thinking we would go in that direction but the interior space was limited and we would have outgrown it quickly. I had always been intrigued by the Cricket--lightweight, quirky but cool-looking (IMHO), small but with enough interior space that we could hole up in it if the weather turned awful. Most importantly, they can be had used without breaking my bank. I found a 2015 somewhat local and pulled the trigger knowing it would need some work to get it where I wanted.

Last edited:

Jafrench

Observer
I started with a 2015 Cricket, not sure if it was the Camp or Trek edition or some other iteration but it has dual 12v batteries and is prewired for solar with a large Zamp panel, fresh and grey water tanks with 12v pump, small electric water heater and Dometic sink inside. Also came with large Edgestar fridge/freezer. Unfortunately, it was not outfitted with hanging bunks for the kids. The biggest issue with it was the frame (http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/189098-FS-Taxa-Cricket-trailer-frame-Denver-CO).

This c-channel, steel frame is meant for highway miles, RV parks and the occasional graded road, not where I want to go. The living space is made of insulated aluminum panels and 1" plywood base. After removing it from the frame you could actually see a twist in the frame. The plywood base provided structural reinforcement to the steel frame, not good.

Attachments

• IMG_0726.jpg
    IMG_0726.jpg
    554.8 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_0716.jpg
    IMG_0716.jpg
    574.8 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_0720.jpg
    IMG_0720.jpg
    534.3 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:

Jafrench

Observer
I enlisted the help of a local trailer manufacturer, http://www.trailermadetrailers.com. They build stout, steel trailers for moving heavy equipment as well as frames for tiny houses, along with custom work. Interestingly, they might be getting into tear drop builds as they had one going and nearly finished while building my frame. I forgot to snap pics of the frame prior to them getting the living space put back on but it's made of 2x5" rectangular steel tube. I had them extend the drawbar to get a complete 90* between the vehicle and the trailer while maneuvering. It has more space between frame cross members so I can put larger water tanks underneath. I went with 4" lift, heavy duty, axle-less suspension from Timbren. I had planned on using OEM Toyota steel wheels (15x6) on my Chaser trailer to match my Landcruiser so had them ready and waiting to use on my Cricket. Since I've moved on from those wheels on my truck, I sourced a spare wheel from ih8mud classifieds.

Attachments

• IMG_0770.jpg
    IMG_0770.jpg
    555.2 KB · Views: 520
Last edited:

Jafrench

Observer
Tongue with Lock 'n Roll hitch. Also added the Ark trailer jack (https://www.arkportablepower.com/products/xo-trailer-jack).

Attachments

• IMG_0771.jpg
    IMG_0771.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_0772.jpg
    IMG_0772.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 382
Last edited:

Jafrench

Observer
Frame and axles:

Attachments

• IMG_0773.jpg
    IMG_0773.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_0774.jpg
    IMG_0774.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_0775.jpg
    IMG_0775.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 498

Jafrench

Observer
After getting the trailer home and going over it with a fine tooth comb there are a few issues I need them to fix. I think the axle mounts need more reinforcement. They used a thick piece of steel angle (see pic above) to move them further outboard for clearance. This is not a mounting option recommended by Timbren. I also need to cut off the rear stabilizer legs and put longer ones on as these don't reach the ground anymore. And there are a few other spots where I want them to weld on some metal tabs for securing the living space to the frame. All in all I'm happy with the work, not perfect but a whole hell of a lot better than what was there.

I went from a trailer that weighed 1500#, had 12" of ground clearance, 27" tires and was 15' long to one that weighs in at 2000#, has 20"+ of ground clearance, 31" tires and is 17' long.

Future plans this winter include on-demand propane hot water heater with larger water tanks, Propex HS2000 propane heater, propane tanks/mounts, larger tongue box and slide out kitchen (similar in scope to what Taxa does on their Tigermoth model).

I'll also be modifying the interior by adding bunks, changing the layout of the bench/bed and the storage/counter area. Stay tuned...

PS-Hopefully the insulated aluminum paneling and aluminum framing hold up to off road use. I fully expect to have to replace popped rivets (known issue with Taxa trailers) with bolts and may eventually build a whole new living space on the frame once the kids are more grown and don't want to camp with their lame parents anymore.

Last edited:

nastav

Adventurer
Thanks for posting this.
I've always thought these looked cool and seemed to have lots of potential.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
whats the ball park on the frame they built? I assume you removed the cricket body and reinstalled it?

str8nm

Observer
I am in the same boat, I mainly just want to extend the tongue, but this is even better. Can you give me an idea of how hard it was to remove the cabin? a ballpark figure of what it cost, and if they can duplicate it?

Jafrench

Observer
I'm impressed with your progress and plans for the Taxa. Looking forward to seeing more updates.
Thanks but the progress was all in having someone else build the frame...just my idea

This is great info and I appreciate all the detail. subscribed!
Thanks

Thanks for posting this.
I've always thought these looked cool and seemed to have lots of potential.
No problem

whats the ball park on the frame they built? I assume you removed the cricket body and reinstalled it?
$5k. They removed and reinstalled the body with a large ceiling hoist in their shop.

I am in the same boat, I mainly just want to extend the tongue, but this is even better. Can you give me an idea of how hard it was to remove the cabin? a ballpark figure of what it cost, and if they can duplicate it?
Part of the motivation for a new frame was an extended tongue and multi-axis hitch. Not sure if I'll ever need it but it's nice to know I can get squirrel-y if necessary. I messaged you about the body removal but I'll add it here for anyone else wondering. I had to disconnect and/or cut electrical and plumbing as needed so the body could be lifted off. I labeled and documented so I would know how it all should go back together. And I had planned on re-doing water tanks and plumbing anyway so this was not a big deal. Other than this, the body is held on by a handful of bolts through the plywood floor into the frame with nuts. The trailer shop just removed the nuts and lifted.

More to come in the next several weeks...

Pjz

Really nice build. Going to be great when you get it all set up. I ended up getting a Livin Lite Jeep trailer and going to do some mild changes to it.

How do you like the Ark XO Jack? That is on my list. Already put on the Lock n Roll hitch.

skiermatt2

Nice - looking forward to seeing how this progresses. I'm picking up a 2015 this weekend as well. Have you put any thought in to how you are going to do the propane/hs2000? I currently have a teardrop with that unit in it that I will probably pull out and put in the cricket.

How does the electric hot water work? Seems like that would be a real energy hog if not plugged in.

Jafrench

Observer
Really nice build. Going to be great when you get it all set up. I ended up getting a Livin Lite Jeep trailer and going to do some mild changes to it.

How do you like the Ark XO Jack? That is on my list. Already put on the Lock n Roll hitch.

It's a solid unit for sure. Haven't used it out camping yet but the problem of lack of range of height of my previous jack is solved. This thing can be tall, short or anything in between making coupling to the vehicle a much easier process.

Nice - looking forward to seeing how this progresses. I'm picking up a 2015 this weekend as well. Have you put any thought in to how you are going to do the propane/hs2000? I currently have a teardrop with that unit in it that I will probably pull out and put in the cricket.

How does the electric hot water work? Seems like that would be a real energy hog if not plugged in.

For the HS2000 I'll probably have a quick disconnect propane coupler on the exterior of the trailer near the propane tank. The heating unit will live in the front of the trailer under the sink/shelving. I'll vent under the trailer.

I haven't used the electric hot water in the trailer and will be replacing it with on-demand propane hot water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne