Big Bend Again - It was Better than Ever.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I'll add to what Andy has to say about Black Gap Road. I did it North to South after camping at Glenn Springs the night before. I was driving a Nissan Titan quad cab and you'll definitely get pin stripping going through the willows at the beginning of the road. I was concerned about the step at the Gap, remember going this direction you're climbing the step, but didn't have any issues. I did have the truck in 4 low with the rear locker engaged though.

We did it solo in Oct which is still considered off season and still met several other vehicles on the road. If you go in Mar that's part of peak season so there should be even more vehicles driving it. If you were concerned about going alone you could just hang out at the end of the road and then wait for someone to come by and ask them if you could tag along. I would recommend south to north though.

Other than the paint issues I don't think you'd have any trouble doing it.

Great post. I'm taking my family there the end of March. Really looking forward to it, and your pictures get me even more excited! I wanted to drive Black Gap Rd with my family but your post has me a little nervous now. I'm driving an unmodified Toyota Sequoia, clearance is great but I'm nervous about width and approach/departure angles looking at the pictures of the gap. What do you mean by "the ledge at the bottom is about 2 feet"? I'm pretty much a off road rookie and I don't want to get stuck out there and ruin it for everyone who wants to use the road.

You will be fine in a Sequoia. I did Black Gap in 2015 with a bunch of FJCruisers. I was in my fully stock Nissan Armada. I did use 4Lo to go up the gap. It was fun. I did not scratch anything. Oh, maybe I did touch my side steps. But nothing my Armada could not handle with stride. The only bad thing is at the entrance or exit from Glenn Road where there is that thick bush. Yeah, you will get a ton of pinstripes. I hate pin stripes and to avoid it, I masked my Armada. It is a sight to see.

I will leave a link to my thread here on my Armada forum for you to see what I did on my Armada to minimize pin-stripping.

http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/218-what-did-you-do-your-nissan-armada-today/24056-2010-nissan-maxima-se-houston-tx-23.html

I currently drive a 2012 Infiniti QX and plan to hopefully go on Black Gap next month for Spring Break. But I am not going to get any pin stripping. I will go around to Marisal mine and access Black gap from that way and make a uturn at the gap and return same way. The pin-stripping is not a good sight on your car if you like your paint a lot. So, i will minimize it as much as I can. One cannot avoid it when you hit offroad in Big Bend.

Last edited:
Here is a video of me going up the step on Black gap Road. It was pretty easy. Stock Armada and I did not even deflate my tires, but I will next month when I do black gap.

And here is a video of me with the crew of FJCruisers driving on Black bear Gap road

If you want to see more about my trip to Bi Bend, here is a link to my thread and a few pictures...

http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/218-what-did-you-do-your-nissan-armada-today/24056-2010-nissan-maxima-se-houston-tx-24.html

KDUx4oz.jpg

KNgfRrP.jpg

EZ7AmOF.jpg

Sy28h3Z.jpg

Last edited:
Good movies. Thanks for posting.

You are very welcome. I enjoy reading your threads and you take some great pictures. What do you use? I always have used my cellphone.

Too bad you guys are leaving the park when I am planning to head that way next month. I plan to be there next month From March 14th to march march 18th. I know the park will be full and busy with Spring Breakers, but I am hoping the climate is still cool or cold to enjoy some short hikes and just the scenery as usual.

Do you or anybody happen to know of any groups or people heading to big Bend that same week (March 14th to march 18th)? Would like to hit the trail with some people.

andy29847

Adventurer
You are very welcome. I enjoy reading your threads and you take some great pictures. What do you use? I always have used my cellphone.

Too bad you guys are leaving the park when I am planning to head that way next month. I plan to be there next month From March 14th to march march 18th. I know the park will be full and busy with Spring Breakers, but I am hoping the climate is still cool or cold to enjoy some short hikes and just the scenery as usual.

Do you or anybody happen to know of any groups or people heading to big Bend that same week (March 14th to march 18th)? Would like to hit the trail with some people.

I'd love to come back to Big Bend in March but it seems unlikely (we are selling our trailer and looking for a motorhome). We were their last year in early April, and the desert was beautiful. We will be wheeling in Missouri this April. We plan and report on our rides on a Facebook Group page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/293131404384213/

Join us if you do Facebook. We have several Texans in our group.

Last edited:
I'd love to come back to Big Bend in March but it seems unlikely (we are selling our trailer and looking for a motorhome). We were their last year in early April, and the desert was beautiful. We will be wheeling in Missouri this April. We plan and report on our rides on a Facebook Group page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/293131404384213/

Join us if you do Facebook. We have several Texans in our group.

Unfortunately I do not have facebook, so cannot join your group. Never wanted to want facebook.

ITTOG

Great information guys. I hope to do a trip out there soon and your information is very valuable. I assume a stock 2018 f150 4x4 will be fine on all the roads mentioned. Are passes required in advance for any of the locations you weren't.

Can you camp on the trails or do you have to leave the park at night. If you have to leave are there motels or hotels by the park. I use a 6x12, tandem axle, enclosed trailer to camp in. May not make it on black gap if the step is very high. It has more clearance than the truck, 18 inches, but may be difficult to get it up the step.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mnwanders

Great information guys. I hope to do a trip out there soon and your information is very valuable. I assume a stock 2018 f150 4x4 will be fine on all the roads mentioned. Are passes required in advance for any of the locations you weren't.

Can you camp on the trails or do you have to leave the park at night. If you have to leave are there motels or hotels by the park. I use a 6x12, tandem axle, enclosed trailer to camp in. May not make it on black gap if the step is very high. It has more clearance than the truck, 18 inches, but may be difficult to get it up the step.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

You can camp right off the trails but only at existing campsites and you have to have a pre-approved backcountry permit. The permits are issued at the park headquarters in person only. You cannot reserve a backcountry campsite or get the permit online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles