Talk me out of trading my pro4x fronty for a new Armada

phsycle

Adventurer
Man I haven't used the bed of the frontier for anything but luggage in a few years. Never used my locker. Never needed 4lo.

The Armada doesn't have 4LO? That would be a deal-breaker for me. I can do without lockers. Not 4-Lo.

Regarding this decision--I am in the same boat. I hate the lack of passenger space in my truck. An SUV would be much better. I carry people more than I carry cargo. I think an SUV + trailer would be a great solution.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
How's your fuel mileage? Gas is on its way back up and the 5.6 gets crappy fuel economy. I know, I have 2 of them. It's a great engine if you can afford it but add the cost of extra fuel to the cost of a higher car payment and likely more expensive insurance.

Armada will probably get better mileage. The 5.6 in the Armada is direct inject. Add in the 7-speed as well. The older 5.6 wasn't that great. But what I have seen out of the new 5.6 is it will out do the old 5.6 and 4.0 powertrains. And the 4WD has low range. Don't know what un-informed person said it doesn't.

justbecause

perpetually lost
Except for this one time out west when I must have gotten some magic gas I can only get 18mpg out of my 4.0. Even stock at 50k miles it barely made 20 on the highway...

I'm on the final days of my grabbers and will be going from 265/75 to 235/85, I'm told that helps MPG and how it turns worse than a cruise ship.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
So it is better, and really no different than what the 4.0 gets. Gas mileage is a mute point in this comparison.

1 mpg better, while better, is still crappy fuel economy compared to what the OP has now. Your comment that the new 5.6 was a better engine doesn't really hold up. I can get better mileage out of mine based on driving habits but that doesn't make it a better engine.

My point is taking fuel costs, higher car payments, and higher insurance costs into consideration would suggest the OP is better off keeping his Frontier.

phsycle

Adventurer
Except for this one time out west when I must have gotten some magic gas I can only get 18mpg out of my 4.0. Even stock at 50k miles it barely made 20 on the highway...

I'm on the final days of my grabbers and will be going from 265/75 to 235/85, I'm told that helps MPG and how it turns worse than a cruise ship.

235's won't help. They'll be LR E, still heavy. If you want better MPG, get some highway all-seasons, i.e. Michelin LTX M/S.

justbecause

perpetually lost
235's won't help. They'll be LR E, still heavy. If you want better MPG, get some highway all-seasons, i.e. Michelin LTX M/S.

my 265s are load E. Making the switch from LT highway all-season to E A/T didnt change my MPG at all. If it only helps with turning I'll be tickled pink.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I wouldn't do it. No way. The new Armadas, while essentially a Patrol, are HUGE. I got the chance to examine the Infiniti version last summer, and my God, are they massive. The ground clearance is awful, the travel isn't good, they're W I D E, long, and heavy. That would severely limit you, at least for the places I go.

But you might not go to the same kinds of places. On the upside, they're spacious, quiet, and comfortable. It's all a compromise. But I wouldn't buy one. Plus I don't think they look very good.

JakeH

Adventurer
I want to buy the armada! I just want to use somebody else's checkbook to do it. MPG is a waste of conversation, my frontier gets 16.3 avg the 6 years I've owned it. I do crazy highway miles & big Colorado pot holes on ice, no trails

JakeH

Adventurer
I am digging that expo armada from the auto show, but that color is rough... I'll take mine in either dark metallic gray or that nice bronze/copper color. The new titan is pretty sexy too, I drove a fully loaded platinum & it was a really nice place to spend time, but I don't want or need the truck bed. I need room for people & dogs with a ski rack on the roof.

xkid

Adventurer
I like the armada. But stick with the frontier. Titan swap it with the extra money you would put out. Then you would love it more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Onaplin

Size being irrelevant forf a second, I think the new Armada is awful ugly. It looks like it is swollen from a bee sting. I drive a single cab truck, so I get passenger space being wanted, but I'd stick with a Fronty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles