iPhone surrender

pluton

Adventurer
One thing I have done is made my smart phone dumb. I found I was spending too much time (by my standards) on useless phone stuff. Instead of going back to a flip phone I disabled safari, and deleted lots of apps so now just have call, text, email, weather, maps, and some other useful outdoors apps.
Good point that bears repeating: Just because your phone has a bunch of different functions doesn't mean you have to use them. I think the text/email communications part of the smartphone is more useful than the talk part, especially since the phone designers completely abandoned proper 'hold to the ear' ergos/haptics 20 years ago. Check out this Qualcomm phone design
from something like 20 years ago:
il_570xN.568441731_akv8.jpg

DCH109

Adventurer
I have two phones
1 for work and one for personal. I hate both. I realized I use my work phone for TXT, email, phone, Skype and assorted mutli-factor authentication apps. Not much else. Work pays for it and I have to have it per my agreement. So it sits in my bag most of the time

My personal phone get used for multi-factor apps (although these ones I can convert to a TXT message) music, txt, tethering and phone.

I have a flip phone I picked up. and I am in the process of converting everything over to it, Music is the only down factor but I have an old sony xperia that I converted (hid/removed all apps) into a music player. It works fine for that.
I really do not use any other apps and I have an iPad for when i am connected to WIFI or maybe tether in case of an emergency.

For Maps and GPS I have a GPS unit in my vehicle and I can read a map just fine (even use a compass)
I managed 90% of my life without a smartphone (they may be smart, but I feel they are making us dumber) and I am going back to that. I really hate them and I think they are ruining society.
I ban them at dinner and in restaurants with my family but watching others, they sit there on their phones not speaking or conversing at all. It is so sad.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste