Carrying the spare tire inside.

KYC

Adventurer
I'm trying out a different configuration for my van and I put the spare tire inside.

The tire is emitting a very strong odor. Enough to give me a headache.

I was thinking about wrapping them in a trash bag or buying a spare tire cover. It is laying flat in the back.

Do these tires emit toxic odors and will a trash bag / spare cover be enough to stop the odor or will the smell seep through?

The thing with the cover would be that only the top part would would be covered and the exposed side would be laying flat. Would this be good enough?

Any experiences and thoughts would be very much appreciated. :)

Lucky j

Explorer
Do not know what king of tire you have, but this is not going to be the first spare tire this os carried inside a vehicule.

I even have a friend who like the look of his brand new beedlock and new tire so much the he was keep one with a glass plate in his realy nice house as a living room table. Guest that the smell was not so bad.

downhill

Adventurer
Plastic will not seal in odors at all. You would have to use metalized film of some sort, or an aluminum box. Older Suburbans had the tires inside. I doubt there is a real health concern, but if you are having a reaction you should act on that.

chet6.7

Explorer
Is it a new tire? I have the spare mounted in the shell,I don't smell it.
Update,spent the night at a hwy rest stop with my head next to the tire,no smell.It is a few years old,so any new tire smell is gone.

Last edited:

danfromsyr

Adventurer
spares were inside on jeep wagoneers and excursions, old ford broncos and VW buses
you have to make sure that it won't become a projectile and kill you more so than worry about the off gassing.
the other drawback is when you have to change a muddy/snow/salty tire and then toss the bad tire inside the vehicle.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Rubber and concrete keep curing and keep getting harder for 100 years. I'd seal the tire with somthing. IDK maybe Armor all or a Mop and Glow or Futura floor wax.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles