Build Thread: Long time coming

deadly99

Explorer
After years of sleeping in tents I have decided to build a trailer. Most certainly a trailer comes with some negatives but spending 10% of my life in the past few years in a tent has become a negative. I spent a few years watching builds on this and other forums and researching all the various forms and fashions people are building or buying before deciding on what will work best for me.

So here we go, spent a year collecting and saving monies for various parts for the trailer.

I decided to go with a Lock and Roll hitch. The consensus seems to be this is the best solution on the market.

For suspension I went with the Timbren 3500lb HD with a 4 inch lift.

Tire size was chosen to make the trailer level when hitched to the truck. I have gone with a 33 inch ******** Cepek extreme country. 15 inch steel wheels from pro comp were chosen to the low price. The trailer will have 26 inches of ground clearance.

I bought a 30x36 foor and two windows from http://www.teardroptrailerparts.com/

For electricity I have chosen to use Goal Zero. I have used a Yeti 400 for a few years and have been quite happy with it. I have initially purchased one 100 watt panel for the roof and will frame in a mount for a second if I find it is required. I use a CPAP machine at night so having the power to run it along with a few lights is all that is really required from the battery system.

For heat I am going with a small buddy heater that runs on propane. Both this solution and the Goal Zero were partly chosen due to simplicity.

I bought a queen sized memory foam mattress (60x80). My wife will likely join me from time to time so a large mattress was required.

The interior height is 57 inch. 6 inches or so will be used up by the mattress. I am a tall guy with a long torso. I wanted to be able to sit up right and have some room above my head for getting dressed, etc. The trailer wont be a small one by any means.

We started building last week and aim to have it finished in a month or so so I can give it a shake down or two before heading out on a 13, 000 km trip.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

6.jpeg

7.jpeg

8.jpg

9.jpg

The framing is a mix of 2x3, 2x2 and 1x1

The exterior will be clad in aluminum. A taongue box will be added to hold a generator, fold up table and some other odds and ends.

I purchased a Waterport system ( https://www.thewaterport.com/collections/bundles/products/trailer-hitch-mount-black )

I am sure I am missing a few things but will keep this thread updated as I go.

ottsville

Observer
Nice frame, I like the way you notched for tire clearance. I'm assuming your wall will be notched for a fender?

deadly99

Explorer
Nice frame, I like the way you notched for tire clearance. I'm assuming your wall will be notched for a fender?

Thanks. The tires will still clear the sides of the trailer. Did this to reduce the width of the trailer as much as possible. I didn't want to compromise on interior space so this is the best solution I could come up with. Trailer tire width, side to side are 4 inches wider than the truck on each side. Not ideal but I can live with it. Overall width will still be narrower than my rear view mirrors

deadly99

Explorer
Started sanding and painting the frame. Aluminum arrived. If all goes well it will get the aluminum walls, floor and ceiling cut and installed this weekend.

framepaint.jpg

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes, certainly strong!

Heavier than I'll want, but the "minimalist engineering" and aluminum tubing will be pricey.

Other issues I'm grappling with is an adjustable ground clearance, only want that extreme height when I'm actually going off-road.

and a full wheel-under design.

deadly99

Explorer
Attaching the aluminum. Used ss rivets and an adhesive. The gaps you see are a result of me saving money. The exterior is 64 inches wide, sheets are 60 wide or the price jumped quite a bit. Going to use 3 inch wide aluminum corner caps which will cover the gaps. Going to use a Silka 292 adhesive to attach them, the rivets they cover will act a spacer for the sealer.

8.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

11.jpg

7.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

9.jpg

13.jpg

Teardropper

1/4" plywood subfloor. Its quality is higher than 1/4" AC ply. Zero voids and better grain. And a bit cheaper here in the middle of no where. Get it at a real lumber yard, not a box store.

Eb4L5ez.jpg

Fit it, and finish it outside your cabin.

deadly99

Explorer
1/4" plywood subfloor. Its quality is higher than 1/4" AC ply. Zero voids and better grain. And a bit cheaper here in the middle of no where. Get it at a real lumber yard, not a box store.

Eb4L5ez.jpg

Fit it, and finish it outside your cabin.

Thanks for the advice. What makes the subfloor sheets better quality? Does t come with a finished side? I think given the price of pvc panels I will go this route.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94