AA/AAA battery charger

woytovich

Observer
I am looking to have an onboard charger for AA & AAA batteries. I was looking at the chargers that can either be 120 or 12v powered that I would likely hardmount & hardwire (rather than using the cig plug).

For example:
https://www.amazon.com/Batteries-Charger-Charging-Discharge-Functions/dp/B01F3KY1UG

Is there a "better" way to approach this?

If folks are using these chargers is there a recommendation for something that offers better performance, functionality and/or durability than others?

Thanks,
mark

SoCal Tom

Explorer
Seems like a good approach to me. For something like this that has low power draw requirements, I kind of like the cig lighter plugs ( as long as it fits well). Its the kind of thing I might want to move to another vehicle. Its give some nice flexibility. Plus, are you sure there isn't an amp draw just from having it plugged in?
Tom

woytovich

Observer
I'm not sure about amp draw, I imagine there is. I'd put it on either ignition triggered source and/or a timer and/or a plain old switch. In any case I can't imagine it would draw a lot unless left for a LONG time without the truck running.

I too was considering a portable "charger" box that could be moved around. Hold spare batteries, cords the 120v charge cord etc etc

rayra

Expedition Leader
This guy is big in the prepper community when it comes to power devices, and/but I'm surprised that there isn't a AA/AAA charger that feeds on 12v.
His battery charger recommendation is about 3/4 of the way down this page - http://www.battery1234.com/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...=B000LQMKDS&linkCode=as2&tag=knowledgepubc-20

It can charge batteries singly, too. And fairly quickly.

I strongly endorse using Eneloop batteries, too, They work great and they do not lose any significant power when stored fully charged, unlike most cheaper rechargeable AA..

I also use a 'solar wallet' which can recharge AA bats, and once charged, operates a 5VDC USB port for re-charging small electronics, like phones.

powerfilm01.jpg
powerfilm02.jpg
powerfilm03.jpg
powerfilm04.jpg
powerfilm05.jpg

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Is there a "better" way to approach this?

Well I'd look at it this way. What is it you use AA and AAA batteries for? Are they important to you? Can they be replaced by devices that either use fewer or more robust rechargeable batteries?

I've been converting everything I can to utilize USB power sources here lately. That includes my charger for small rechargeable batteries. I found a small USB charger that can charge anything from AAA to 18650, but can only do 2 batteries at a time. This isn't really a problem though, as I don't have many devices that use small rechargeable batteries, and I have some spares to use while the others charge, if I even need to.

I'm quickly becoming a huge fan of the 18650 battery. It's bigger, but seems to replace the 2-3 smaller batteries that were usually needed for most devices that use it. For any future flashlights I get I'm probably going to be sticking with that battery, and anything else I can find that uses it.

The other day I was somewhat disappointed, but I removed my trusty Maglite from it's spot wedged into my center console and took it in the house to maybe never be used again. Fact is, I never used it anyway. It was a model that uses 3 D batteries, and did have a LED bulb. Problem is, it's huge, it's heavy, it does not pack well, and it does not put out that much light. The tiny single 18650 battery light I keep clipped in my pocket can outdo it in brightness by a long shot, and when turned down on lower settings can last forever as well. There is also the fact D batteries are oddball, kind of like the C batteries in a lantern I keep around that might be on it's way out next.

So I'd probably look for ways to minimize or reduce the need for a complex or permanent install of a small battery charger by consolidating the types of battery you use and updating your devices that use small batteries. That way what few you do have can be easily charged up as needed with a small charger you can keep stowed away when not in use.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
AA - AAA smart charger;
http://www.mahaenergy.com/mh-c9000/
With car adapter.

I converted to AA NiMH in most things years ago.
...Except for the old digital camera which will not work with NIMH batteries; and the emergency off road flashlight (nothing else, so far, is as acceptable for my purposes than a (too ugly to steal) water resistant, Alkaline equipped USGI, D cell, LED conversion). Long lasting adequate light that can shine vertically, sideways or upward at an angle, is more important to me than brightness... had to fix many things by flashlight, mostly for others. Just remember to refresh the batteries every couple of years (yearly is better).
Enjoy!

Last edited:

Step-Hen

Observer
Here's another AA/AAA option that works well on AC or 12V. I've had one for 10 years at least; I carry it in my big camera bag and when I go camping, and it hasn't broken. It's very lightweight, and doesn't have the tendency to overheat the batteries like other cheap chargers I've used. I check all my batteries when they come off the charger with a fairly sophisticated ZTS Pulse Load battery tester, and it indicates that the cheap Maha does indeed fully charge the batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047V5EM2/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1E74WIU6ZD3&colid=2REXOTRAHI7WX&psc=0

woytovich

Observer
So I'm waffling between chargers with 120 and 12v input cords and those with USB.

I like the convenience of being able to charge via USB from many sources and not having to carry/store both a 12v and 120v cord but I'm wondering if I'll be unhappy with the charge rate (and the charge technology). It seems the 120/12v units often boast "smart" technology and I'm not sure the USB ones have caught up yet.

More research is called for I guess.

rayra

Expedition Leader
That charger does not appear to be able to be powered from 12v.

I said as much. You'd also need an inverter, and that's just silly. It's also why I mentioned a quality grade of rechargeable batteries and a solar-powered charger system. So you wouldn't need a 12v-based AA charger.

/but F it, you can use Google to find what you think you want

woytovich

Observer
Sorry you think I snubbed your advice... it was just not clear to me what you were getting at. I didn't know why you posted info about a straight 120v charger... I thought maybe I missed something in that linked info.

Step-Hen

Observer
So I'm waffling between chargers with 120 and 12v input cords and those with USB.

I like the convenience of being able to charge via USB from many sources and not having to carry/store both a 12v and 120v cord but I'm wondering if I'll be unhappy with the charge rate (and the charge technology).
More research is called for I guess.

The Liitokala Smart battery Charger charges at up to 2A, depending on mode. It's hard to tell whether that is per cell, or total- since only one slot is capable of 2A, I assume that the maximum rate for the charger, not per cell. The internet consensus (for what that's worth) seems to be that 0.5C per cell is a good charging rate, which means if you charge 4 2000mAh cells, you'll need 4A. I'm not sure you're going to find a 12V-powered USB charger that puts out more than ~2.4A (per port.) So, you appear to be right that the charge rate will take a hit. Of course, it may only use maximum current for a short period of time, then throttle back to a lower current to finish it off, so max current capability might not make as much difference as the math would indicate. As usual, cheap Chinese products on Amazon don't give you enough information to make an informed purchase.

You can buy a USB Y adapter cable, so if you have two independent USB charger ports, maybe you can get enough juice into the charger. If you try it, let us know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke