RTT mattress options

PwrWagon

Hey everyone, currently have a CVT Mt. Rainer RTT, the mattress it came with was a bit to thin for my wife so we added a 3 inch memory foam topper. This seems to solve the comfort problem but what we run into now is closing the tent with the added thickness becomes an issue. Does anyone have any recommendations for a large (72"x96") air mattress that they have used for camping or is there a solid option for replacement mattresses for RTT's that are more comfortable than the ones that come with the tents? I appreciate any input its our first RTT and the search criteria "mattress" was of little help.

Thanks

Richard

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I hear that the Exped Megamat Duo 10 is awesome if you are willing to do the work of inflating/deflating. It would also be shorter then your RTT. IMO that is a good thing. Your gear could sit on the tent floor instead of the mattress. Haven't tried it myself though, as it is a little too wide for my RTT.

Also, if you deflated such a mattress, I would think that would leave you room for more bedding in the tent to (when stowed).

captwoody

Adventurer
I bought that mattress for my smittybuilt RTT to improve mattress comfort. There is a reason its ratings are high it is friggin awesome. I do roll mine up though so I don't know how it folds. But if you open valves 15 min prior to folding I cant see it being a problem. I wanted mine to use without Rooftop tent as well so I did not want to unfold tent to get to it. It is awesome for ground camping as well another reason I spent the extra money. Once you sleep on it the extra money wont even be a thought. I am 5-10 220lbs and am still comfortable. I actually like it better than my home mattress but its a conventional mattress not a tempurpedic style

PwrWagon

I hear that the Exped Megamat Duo 10 is awesome if you are willing to do the work of inflating/deflating. It would also be shorter then your RTT. IMO that is a good thing. Your gear could sit on the tent floor instead of the mattress. Haven't tried it myself though, as it is a little too wide for my RTT.

Also, if you deflated such a mattress, I would think that would leave you room for more bedding in the tent to (when stowed).

Thanks I will check them out, I have no problem inflating or deflating. I have been looking at a few air mattress options and I will probably end up with something soon,

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: had the sme problem with my pads and needing more cushion I got this one
Feb%202016%20001_zpslyzafuj3.jpg

PERFECT and it's a "dual" in that, when one moves, the other doesn't feel it--there are air blocks and it stays in the KUKENAM RTT(deflated) with no trouble

Checkitout

:):bike_rider:JIMBO

sunnybean

Observer
We bought an Exped Duo 10 last year. Best RTT improvement ever.

Takes a few attempts to figure out how much air is correct. It’s easy to over inflate.

ttengineer

Adventurer
Expend will be releasing a medium size duo this year. If you buy 2 they will be about an an inch shy of the dimensions you listed above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
Tepui has a “luxury” mattress listed on their website with a layer of latex or something. I am thinking about trying it but I haven’t heard any real world reviews yet.

billum v2.0

I considered the Exped 10 Megamat, went with the Exped Synmat 12 as it's significantly lighter and compacts about a third the size as the 10 Megamat. They are different animals (the Megamat is more a self inflating sleeping pad, the Synmat 12 an inflatable sleeping mattress), but the improvement over standard RTT mattress is significant. To fit our Kukenam's width (56"), bought the LXW (long extra wide - 30" width) and LW (long wide - 25" width) versions. Fit is perfect and wife can tailor squish factor to her liking, me to mine (don't underestimate this value)

They're spendy, but received an email from Active Junky yesterday that BackCountry currently has these on significant sale (30%) with free shipping and Active Junky will send you a check for an additional 10% of the purchase price if you purchase through their website. Knocks my $400 purchase down to near $225.

Caelan

We tossed a Klymit Double V inflatable camping pad between the mattress and the condensation mat in our RTT. With the air pad and the mattress that came with the tent, we slept wonderfully every night. It fit great in our Tepui Autana and is completely flat when it's deflated so it doesn't affect closing the tent at all.

ttengineer

Adventurer
We tossed a Klymit Double V inflatable camping pad between the mattress and the condensation mat in our RTT. With the air pad and the mattress that came with the tent, we slept wonderfully every night. It fit great in our Tepui Autana and is completely flat when it's deflated so it doesn't affect closing the tent at all.

That's actually not a bad idea to slide it underneath. If I remember the Klymit stuff is only an inch thick when inflated so it wouldn't be a huge deal to inflate and deflate it every time you pop the tent.

Could you feel it under the foam topper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caelan

That's actually not a bad idea to slide it underneath. If I remember the Klymit stuff is only an inch thick when inflated so it wouldn't be a huge deal to inflate and deflate it every time you pop the tent.

Could you feel it under the foam topper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It made a huge difference in comfort! The double uses its stuff sack as an inflation pump, too. To deflate it, we'd just pop open the deflation valve and close the tent up like normal.

I have the CVT Mt. Bachelor. The mattress is pretty soft and a little thinner than these tents are being sold with now. I camp with people who have anti condensation mats and other types of mattresses and bedding. Trying to accommodate the best comfort and features is a give and take and mostly personal preference. I use the stock mattress with a couple high quality backpacking air mattresses on top of the memory foam, 2 quality +20 bags, my pillow, a waterproof blanket for my dog to sleep on and an extra down comforter to top it all off if it gets cold. I don't have any trouble folding my tent and storing it all. My experience is that the air mattresses have enough insulation and reduce/eliminate condensation under the main mattress. Two air mattresses give the ability to adjust for the comfort of a partner. To me my RTT is as good as anywhere to spend the night and much better than most places. I only have 9 nights in it so far this year. Looking forward to many more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles