Solar panels, fixed to the roof, adjustable on the roof, or portable?

ArkansasDon

Observer
portable for me, I run 2 100watt Renogy portable suit case panels with branch connectors, 20ft 10awg cable w\30amp Renogy Wanderer Charge Controller w\ Battery Temperature Sensor & VMax Tank 125ah AGM Battery. I like the idea of running 2 100watt panels parallel so I can run lots of 12v. gear or I can run just 1 100watt suite case panel in the winter powering my Proplex H2000 Tent Furance, Zodi Hot Shower System & charging a cell phone. The photo shows use running 1 100 watt Renogy suit case panel in the late winter\early spring in our home state of Arkansas disperses camping in the Ozark Mountains.
037.JPG
36046868_1714199335295600_7253343681472626688_n.jpg

Last edited:

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
portable for me, I run 2 100watt Renogy portable suit case panels with branch connectors, 20ft 10awg cable w\30amp Renogy Wanderer Charge Controller w\ Battery Temperature Sensor & VMax Tank 125ah AGM Battery. I like the idea of running 2 100watt panels parallel so I can run lots of 12v. gear or I can run just 1 100watt suite case panel in the winter powering my Proplex H2000 Tent Furance, Zodi Hot Shower System & charging a cell phone. The photo shows use running 1 100 watt Renogy suit case panel in the late winter\early spring in our home state of Arkansas disperses camping in the Ozark Mountains.

View attachment 464805

How is that Renogy controller working out for you? I picked up a Renogy 100 watt kit off Amazon (Panel, controller, cables and mounts) with that same controller in it. I was thinking of upgrading it tp a MPPT controller in the future... but it seems to be decent for a PWM controller?

As for combining 2 panels of different outputs to the controller... it should't matter I wouldn't think? The controller will see the input at x amps of input power, and as long as the combined total is under the rated power handling it should be fine?

Unless I am missing something?

ArkansasDon

Observer
the controller is fine. I like the simplicity of the controller, that's why I ordered it. I am not into all that read out as of power in-put, power used. I chosen the route I did so I can have a easy simply solar system.
As for your statement about combining 2 panels of different outputs to the controller, connecting solar panels together in parallel it is important that they all have the same nominal voltage value. Running together in parallel the total voltage output remains the same as it would for a single panel but the output current becomes the sum of the output of each panel which for me equals 200watts.
Talking with Renogy they mention running 2 panels together in parallel but one panel is 50 watts & the other being 100watts the different sizes will only operate at a maximum voltage of the smallest panel reducing its efficiency.

Alloy

We will be staying and playing more, but a lot of that will also be hunts in Northern Alberta and Canada in the fall when daylight is short and furnace runs a bit more at night. I think I'll stick with 300+ watts of capacity and weld an aluminum frame for all three panels that is pinned on both sides. If I need to I could elevate either side or completely remove it. It won't be much more work either way and gives me some flexibility. Also during the fall elevated will encourage the snow to slide off easier than mounted flat. I know for a lot of you that isn't a concern but up here it is. Again it was a balmy -33 this morning!

Here in lower half of BC for the last 2 months we've been consuming 16Ah-30Ah/day. The batteries are maintined by 2x300w portable.
First part of the seson was great when there was a sunny spot through the trees for 3hrs. Once the smoke was blocking the sun I wished we had 2 more panels.

We run Victron 150/100 and a BMV712.

The extension cords for the panels are 50' which so far are more than long enough.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
How is that Renogy controller working out for you? I picked up a Renogy 100 watt kit off Amazon (Panel, controller, cables and mounts) with that same controller in it. I was thinking of upgrading it tp a MPPT controller in the future... but it seems to be decent for a PWM controller?

I've been running the Renogy Charge Controller for two and a half years around Africa and it's been brilliant. Works exactly as it should, never misses a beat.

-Dan

Informative thread guys.....thanks. I have a question that is sort of on topic if you'll indulge me.

I recently added a solar panel and second battery to support my Engel fridge. Aux battery is "stand-alone" (not wired to alternator) and lives under the sleep platform in the back of my 4_Runner.
I flat mounted a Renogy 100W panel to my Front Runner roof rack. I was pleased that I had enough space to mount the panel and still have room for a double Jerry can tray and saddles for my kayak.

Currently, I have the cables from the panel running through the door opening of one of the rear passenger doors to the solar controller/battery. This is temporary set-up while I muster the courage to drill a hole in my truck's roof to route the cables though.

My question is for those of you that have routed the cables through the vehicle roof. Any words of wisdom regarding getting a good/leakproof install?
I've researched "cable clams/glands" and that seems to be a clean way to do the install. Also looked at the wiring diagram for my rig to determine where to route the wires so that I avoid any wiring in the roof of the truck. So what am I missing? Tips and hints would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Nate

Nate
Did you ever get any ideas for leakproof options? I just bit the bullet and drilled through. Inserted a rubber grommet and sealed it with a dab of silicone. Time will tell if I need a better option.

VanIsle_Greg

I've been running the Renogy Charge Controller for two and a half years around Africa and it's been brilliant. Works exactly as it should, never misses a beat.

-Dan

This is good to know. I had the opportunity to grab a much fancier controller a few weeks ago (LCD and some more features), but it was flush mount and I have already planned for a surface mount. Glad to hear that you are having good success with the same Renogy panel. You are definitely working it much harder than I will be. heh

Safe travels Dan!

VanIsle_Greg

VanIsle_Greg

Not my install BTW... thats an internet pic from Amazon. My roof is still not built. lol Milling up frame components now!

rayra

Expedition Leader
As I replied / described in this topic about 8mos ago, I finally have my Mk1 roof mount completed. It's a folding ground panel kit, legs are still attached. Stand on the rear bumper and undo two hood locks on the hinged rear of the frame and the frame releases the panel. The panel can be angled on the roof or placed on the ground on a 25' lead.

Details are in my build thread in my sig

solarpanelmount83 installed.jpg
solarpanelmount84 installed.jpg
solarpanelmount85 installed.jpg
solarpanelmount86 installed.jpg
solarpanelmount87 installed.jpg

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
This is good to know. I had the opportunity to grab a much fancier controller a few weeks ago (LCD and some more features), but it was flush mount and I have already planned for a surface mount. Glad to hear that you are having good success with the same Renogy panel. You are definitely working it much harder than I will be. heh

Safe travels Dan!

The Renogy controller has an LCD, and all the features I could possibly need. I check it most days to see how my aux battery is doing, how much solar I'm making at any given time, etc.
It's fun to see the solar production, then close the roof to change the angle of the panels, or clean the panels and check it again. As expected, it can make a huge difference!

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke