How many here completely trust their LC 80's?

namsag

Anybody ever have to replace the motor on one of these? Can you still buy a replacement motor or do you have to go to junkyard?

I replaced my motor, wanted to just have the head rebuilt but it turned out I was one of the lucky ones whose block was all scored and worn out. This was last year, ACC ordered me a brand new block put on the boat from Japan. So they're still available. Oh, and it was WAY pricey. But between that and some other "while it's there" stuff, now I have a Land Cruiser that I trust completely. :)

NCFJ

Adventurer
Trust is something that is built, literally. The youngest 80 series is 21 and a lot can happen to a vehicle in that amount of time. I believe that the 80 is extremely dependable if well maintained. Most of us have taken at least one step past regular maintenance and made upgrades to our trucks as well. My wife's 80 has had what we believe to be a wrist pin knock since we picked it up 3-4 years back. I base lined it, added a front bumper,winch,2.5" lift and some tires and have been driving it ever since. The knock has been getting louder in the past couple months so we are considering a drive line swap in the near future so we can still feel secure on longer trips. AAA only goes so far :)

martnH

It's just a machine

With enough money and time, you can make anything reliable, even a jeep

There will be people telling you their car is reliable and all it needs is "maintenance". He will then tell you that "maintenance" is to replace the motor and gearbox and that is "expected"....

Aluminium structure is good for 10 years
Steel parts probably 20 years.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

martnH

Some people will tell you old cars are reliable and you will soon find out they will happily replace everything on that car even welding up the chassis

The way I see it is the people makes car reliable no matter how old the car is, rather then a brand

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
A picture of most of the places my 80 series has taken me (mostly solo) the past 2 years. My rule/goal is to never opened my hood once I leave my home base. The only time someone will see me under my 80 is to disconnect the swaybar :sombrero:

Attachments

• IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 15

phsycle

Adventurer
A picture of most of the places my 80 series has taken me (mostly solo) the past 2 years. My rule/goal is to never opened my hood once I leave my home base. The only time someone will see me under my 80 is to disconnect the swaybar :sombrero:

Nice. The areas you travelled are where I'd like to explore a bit more.

I looked at finding a clean rust free SW 80 a few years ago, but gave up after passing on ones that weren't exactly what I wanted. Looking at what's available now, I wish I had picked one up back then!

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Nice. The areas you travelled are where I'd like to explore a bit more.

I looked at finding a clean rust free SW 80 a few years ago, but gave up after passing on ones that weren't exactly what I wanted. Looking at what's available now, I wish I had picked one up back then!

You want to have cash in hand and be fast. I have been known to buy and sell, a month ago I sold a clean locked LX. I posted it at 5PM within an hour I had a verbal and the buyer was at our airport at 8am the next morning. I could of sold it 20 times for full price within 24hours. Find one that meets your needs and pounce. You can complain about the price later.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
I daily drive my 80 and trust it 100% I put 20,000 miles on it in the last 12 months. There are sooo many 80s out there with 300,00 miles that haven't had any mechanical failures. I don't know of any other vehicle that has such a good record for reliability and off road capability.

etFYAPuh.jpg

zeHsFXfh.jpg

phsycle

Adventurer
You want to have cash in hand and be fast. I have been known to buy and sell, a month ago I sold a clean locked LX. I posted it at 5PM within an hour I had a verbal and the buyer was at our airport at 8am the next morning. I could of sold it 20 times for full price within 24hours. Find one that meets your needs and pounce. You can complain about the price later.

Yes, you're 100% right. Currently, I am searching for a very clean UNlocked 80, as their prices seem better. I am fine with going ARB's later. If I can find a clean example, with ~150k miles, I'd be on it.

But I've now started to look for 03+ 100's as well.

Box Rocket

Any vehicle can surprise you with an unexpected breakdown. I totally trust my cruiser. Much of that trust comes from doing a lot of the maintenance work myself so I know how it's been taken care of and the condition of parts. When you buy a new rig it can take a little time to develop complete trust as you get to know the truck and verify it's in proper condition. But, the nice thing about cruisers is that even ones that have been neglected can be pretty reliable. They are tough. A lot of confidence will come from developing the knowledge to handle and fix any surprises that pop up. I don't worry about my cruiser breaking down. But if it/when it does, I feel like I can address most anything that happens outside of a catastrophic engine failure.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I've now started to look for 03+ 100's as well.

Don't pass up on the right earlier 100 if it comes along. I have a ‘99 and an ‘06 at the moment. I'll take the ‘99 over the ‘06 every time. The leather is in better shape in the ‘06 though...

phsycle

Adventurer
Don't pass up on the right earlier 100 if it comes along. I have a ‘99 and an ‘06 at the moment. I'll take the ‘99 over the ‘06 every time. The leather is in better shape in the ‘06 though...

Can you expound on what makes the 99 better than the 06? I like the 5-speed transmission and VVTI in the 06. Of course, the HVAC/NAV system (to me), is a downside. But I don't think that would be enough to tip the scale the other way. Unless I'm missing something?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
giobarra