How many here completely trust their LC 80's?

phsycle

Adventurer
A pretty clean LX came up for sale. I wasn't really looking, but decent price and under 200k miles. I don't know if I am going to pursue it, but just out of curiosity, those of you with an 80-series---how confident are you in your vehicles to go on a multi-day trip, deep in the backcountry? I understand maintenance is a big part of this, but I'm assuming you guys are pretty good about that. But age is age. No escaping that. I'm sure things will break. Repairs will be needed.

This isn't a question about 80's in general. But YOUR 80. Have you taken it on multi-day expeditions lately? Complaints or gripes? Any major breakdowns? Current and past owners, feel free to chime in. Thanks.

DNTL740

Adventurer
I have a 96' 80. I purchased it 5 years ago with 202k miles. Blew the head gasket right away, which I expected would happen. I also replaced the shocks and springs with stock units when I purchased ( I don't know why I didn't go with OME stock height, but I replaced the springs and shocks 3 weeks ago with the OME stock height) I have driven the vehicle 86k miles since, with very little maintenance and replacing things as they wear. Heater valve, thermostat, radiator, some hoses, brakes, etc........

The thing is a tank, I have a 2001 Discovery all kitted out for offroading, the 80 gets used all the time, it is my go to vehicle. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

One more thing, the 80 has 288k miles, I purchased it from the original owner who is a friend of mine, As far as I know I've done more maintenance on it than he ever did.

cbmontgo

Observer
Bought mine in 2012 for family off-road and camping trips. Has been all over the place. Would trust it to go anywhere.

MattL

Adventurer
I trust it fully so long as I'm within its capabilities. No rock crawling and no deep fording otherwise I have no concerns...well some cooling ones but that's to be expected in the dead of summer on steep grades.

I've had a couple things break on trips but luckily both were by a town with auto parts and not back country.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
A pretty clean LX came up for sale. I wasn't really looking, but decent price and under 200k miles. I don't know if I am going to pursue it, but just out of curiosity, those of you with an 80-series---how confident are you in your vehicles to go on a multi-day trip, deep in the backcountry? I understand maintenance is a big part of this, but I'm assuming you guys are pretty good about that. But age is age. No escaping that. I'm sure things will break. Repairs will be needed.

This isn't a question about 80's in general. But YOUR 80. Have you taken it on multi-day expeditions lately? Complaints or gripes? Any major breakdowns? Current and past owners, feel free to chime in. Thanks.

Yes, I trust it. 100%. 115F in summer in low range regularly. River crossings up to the door handles, yep. Most of our trips are solo and we go wherever we want from Baja to the Maze District in Utah.
Trust in vehicles, just like people, is built. You won't need to ask others if you trust it once you start doing more trips in a truck, any truck. Heck, I trust our old FJ40 almost the same. Trial and hopefully no error and you'll trust it if you buy it.

mathers420

Observer
I'd trust it as much as the maintenance I put into it.

They are tanks but the newest one is now over 20 years old...

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Mine has been all over the west since I got it in 2012, it has almost 250k on it and I trust it 100%. Sure it is 20 years old and some things ware out and need to be replaced, but a quick once over when I do the oil change seems to catch anything that comes up.

The level of engineering on these trucks is unreal, it hard to even compare to anything we see in our markets. You know they are doing something right at Yoshiwara(Land Cruiser factory) when we are consistently seeing heated debates between 20+ year old Land Cruisers and brand new 4Runners.:sombrero:

T4R@DNA

Observer
my has 200k + Trust, Trust. Like any old vehicle it need service and attention. Sound like you unsure, you might consider something newer (4Runner, Taco, but they are not 80series though) to give you more piece of mind especially taking the whole family with you for camping.

shoredreamer

Observer
Yessir. Take care of it and it will take care of you. I learned to wrench on my 80 and it is a pretty simple truck imo. Everything is sort of designed for worse case scenario conditions so stuff lasts a lot longer than normal cars. There is also amazing support and information from tons of other passionate owners here and on iH8mud. I take my family to some pretty far out spots and we travel solo almost always. I'd drive it around the world if I could tomorrow.

It can get pricey. I've never had to but I've done a good bit of research for when the day comes.

To the OP. I have full trust and confidence after 230K trouble free miles. Its still my most of the time driver (by choice not necessity). I have and continue to keep up with preventative maintenance, which is the key with any vehicle but especially one your're going to be in the back country with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste