Thread: How many here completely trust their LC 80's?

A picture of most of the places my 80 series has taken me (mostly solo) the past 2 years. My rule/goal is to never opened my hood once I leave my home base. The only time someone will see me under my 80 is to disconnect the swaybar
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Knowledge without experience is just information"--Mark Twain

Land Cruiser Products

Quote Originally Posted by LandCruiserPhil View Post
    A picture of most of the places my 80 series has taken me (mostly solo) the past 2 years. My rule/goal is to never opened my hood once I leave my home base. The only time someone will see me under my 80 is to disconnect the swaybar
    Nice. The areas you travelled are where I'd like to explore a bit more.

I looked at finding a clean rust free SW 80 a few years ago, but gave up after passing on ones that weren't exactly what I wanted. Looking at what's available now, I wish I had picked one up back then!

Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Nice. The areas you travelled are where I'd like to explore a bit more.

I looked at finding a clean rust free SW 80 a few years ago, but gave up after passing on ones that weren't exactly what I wanted. Looking at what's available now, I wish I had picked one up back then!
    You want to have cash in hand and be fast. I have been known to buy and sell, a month ago I sold a clean locked LX. I posted it at 5PM within an hour I had a verbal and the buyer was at our airport at 8am the next morning. I could of sold it 20 times for full price within 24hours. Find one that meets your needs and pounce. You can complain about the price later.

Land Cruiser Products

Phil,

Seems like you have been avoiding New Mexico...
    Gordon

1997 FZJ80 40th and locked
    My FZJ80 Overland Build
    1989 BJ74 Mud Build
    2009 Tacoma W/ 15 FWC Swift

I daily drive my 80 and trust it 100% I put 20,000 miles on it in the last 12 months. There are sooo many 80s out there with 300,00 miles that haven't had any mechanical failures. I don't know of any other vehicle that has such a good record for reliability and off road capability.

Quote Originally Posted by LandCruiserPhil View Post
    You want to have cash in hand and be fast. I have been known to buy and sell, a month ago I sold a clean locked LX. I posted it at 5PM within an hour I had a verbal and the buyer was at our airport at 8am the next morning. I could of sold it 20 times for full price within 24hours. Find one that meets your needs and pounce. You can complain about the price later.
    Yes, you're 100% right. Currently, I am searching for a very clean UNlocked 80, as their prices seem better. I am fine with going ARB's later. If I can find a clean example, with ~150k miles, I'd be on it.

But I've now started to look for 03+ 100's as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NM-Frontier View Post
    Phil,

Seems like you have been avoiding New Mexico...
    Actually I have spent a good amount amount of time in western NM Gila Forest but my exposure has been limited. I would be stoked to get an invite on an epic NM trip.

Land Cruiser Products

Any vehicle can surprise you with an unexpected breakdown. I totally trust my cruiser. Much of that trust comes from doing a lot of the maintenance work myself so I know how it's been taken care of and the condition of parts. When you buy a new rig it can take a little time to develop complete trust as you get to know the truck and verify it's in proper condition. But, the nice thing about cruisers is that even ones that have been neglected can be pretty reliable. They are tough. A lot of confidence will come from developing the knowledge to handle and fix any surprises that pop up. I don't worry about my cruiser breaking down. But if it/when it does, I feel like I can address most anything that happens outside of a catastrophic engine failure.
    Adam Tolman
    '95 FZJ80
    '08 Off-road Trailer
    TEPUI TENTS. 10% OFF Forum Member Discount

Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    I've now started to look for 03+ 100's as well.
    Don’t pass up on the right earlier 100 if it comes along. I have a ‘99 and an ‘06 at the moment. I’ll take the ‘99 over the ‘06 every time. The leather is in better shape in the ‘06 though...
    '94 Santa Monica Airlines 39" longboard, Indy 159s, Powell AT wheels
    '99 UZJ 100 with OME, 255 ST Max’s and factory locker.
    '14 Dodge 3500 6.7, 68RFE with Thurens, 5100s, 305/70-18 ST Maxxxxxs
    '17 Northern Lite 9-6 Q. Factory ordered to my spec.
    '74 Airstream International 29'

Quote Originally Posted by redthies View Post
    Don’t pass up on the right earlier 100 if it comes along. I have a ‘99 and an ‘06 at the moment. I’ll take the ‘99 over the ‘06 every time. The leather is in better shape in the ‘06 though...
    Can you expound on what makes the 99 better than the 06? I like the 5-speed transmission and VVTI in the 06. Of course, the HVAC/NAV system (to me), is a downside. But I don't think that would be enough to tip the scale the other way. Unless I'm missing something?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast