Your preferred Roof Rack straps, tie down options?

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I am planning on running 4 Pelican cases on my roof rack this summer instead of our Thule roof box. Each kid gets a case for their clothes, gear, sleeping bag etc. I am just curious before I order up some more regular ratchet straps if there is a better option? Each of our cases (Pelican 1650's) will be locked closed and to the rack but I am looking for a quick on and off solution for when security isn't an issue, which is most of the time since we are near the truck.

For clarity I want quick on and off, secure (no shifting), and weather/UV resistant. I have no plans to just open the cases and unload from the roof, permanently mounting solutions don't interest me. I like to hand down a case, let the kids wheel it over to the campsite, unload and then use the cases as seats, tables etc.

Are good ol' ratchet straps still the best option?

OCD Overland

Explorer
I use steelcore straps. If I don't want to hassle with the lock, then I don't lock them. They can be a little bit of a pain if there's a lot of excess strap to deal with, but nothing worth complaining about. I also carry a small bag full of powertye straps with carabiner ends that I can use if I really need to cinch something down.

robert

Expedition Leader
I use NRS straps for most stuff. http://search.nrs.com/search/?p=Q&w=straps

When I need new straps I'll probably get a set of security straps like the Yakima Ripcord so I can use the same key. Thule and some other manufactures make versions of them as well. If I wasn't cheap I'd go ahead and get a set since it'd be easier than running a cable through the boats; I guess there's something to be said for having a visible cable and lock too I guess.

standard ratchet straps are my go-to. i don't know of another product as mentioned that's as affordable and easy to come by. if i want to lock something down, i have cables and locks to do that.

Lucky j

Explorer
I am gona throw a curve ball here. I know a kit exist to mount pelican case to motorcycle bagger style rack. It is quick on and off, can be fitted to pelican case (slot style) and can also be lock in place. I think this would be a good set-up for what you are looking to do. And would cover all your needs.

But would have to search to remember the product name.

robert

Expedition Leader
I am gona throw a curve ball here. I know a kit exist to mount pelican case to motorcycle bagger style rack. It is quick on and off, can be fitted to pelican case (slot style) and can also be lock in place. I think this would be a good set-up for what you are looking to do. And would cover all your needs.

You are probably thinking about Caribou Cases- they're pretty much the originator of Pelican mounting brackets for bikes. The fellow that started it was posting on Adventurerider.com as he went along so it was pretty neat to watch him grow from a one off thing to what he has today. http://cariboucases.com/

Lucky j

Explorer
You are probably thinking about Caribou Cases- they're pretty much the originator of Pelican mounting brackets for bikes. The fellow that started it was posting on Adventurerider.com as he went along so it was pretty neat to watch him grow from a one off thing to what he has today. http://cariboucases.com/

Yep, I think it is the first syste, I saw. I know that the attachment kit was also available to retrofit pelican and other type of case.

bluejeep

just a guy
I use Roller Cam straps - rollercam.com

Never lost anything I've tied down, and that includes pelican cases on the jeep rack going thru some very rough trails as well as hauling down the interstate at 85 mph.

Here's a previous posting from me (bluejeep) that shows the easy modification I had made to my rollercam straps to increase their usefulness. Even without doing this, I still recommend their product / design.

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/144147-Rollercam-straps/page2

I believe it was Expedition Journal that did a 'stress' test of various tiedown strap products - Winter edition, 2012. I can't find a link, but they strapped a pelican case to a metal rack and threw it off the back of a moving truck (!) (Wish I had such a fun job!)

Whatever the tiedown method, it has to allow no movement, which is contrary to the design of any tiedown that has 'stretch' as a 'feature'. Need to keep that cargo held tightly.

EDIT - It looks like cascaderivergear.com has the rollercam design (includes the all important roller) PLUS the looped end - that's perfect!

Last edited:

bluejeep

just a guy
on the security side of things, I'm trying a product from Ottolock.com. They are not meant to 'secure' cargo, in the sense of 'fastening tightly' or 'tieing down'. They are meant to 'secure' cargo or objects from theft. Also, my use so far has been inside the vehicle, protected from the weather. I imagine they must be weatherproof fairly well because they are meant to be used for bike security. Time will tell, but so far I do like them.

Rezarf <><

Explorer

Ok, found something.

This is one example. And if it can wistand the stress of and adventure bike cruising dirt roads and trail riding, it should hold on top of a vehicule.

https://adventuremotorcycle.com/gear/gear-back-road-equipment-slider-rack-klr

Yes, I am familiar with the Caribou systems but I am not interested in that. I want it simple. The rollercam looks promising.

Triplesnake

Adventurer
The NRS straps are nice. I have couple of pairs that I use to secure kayaks on a roof rack. For most of my other general cargo strapping, I just use the 1" poly Lashing Straps from Harbor Freight (I know...get your torches and pitchforks). I've used those to secure cargo to the front deck of my my popup camper, in the bed of my Titan, and on the roof rack of my Pathfinder for years and thousands of miles of both highway and off road driving and have never had a failure. I finally wore one out by leaving it in the bed of my Titan full time for over two years in the TX sun. They are also cheap enough that I don't care if I need to use multiple straps, or if I feel like trimming one to length for a specific use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles