Your preferred Roof Rack straps, tie down options?

Westy

Adventurer
I've heard good things about FrontRunner's "stratchits".

I bought a pair of the Frontrunner Stratchits and I do really like them for their simplicity and quick use. I would recommend putting on larger caribiners however, this really made a big difference for ease of use to clip them onto things. The ones included are too small unless they are being attached to thin gauge hook points.

trecash6850

Another vote for front runner stratchit straps. Also as noted by others I've replaced the attachment hardware with larger stainless snap hooks. Also if you haven't bought cases yet take a look at the pelican air cases, much lighter and still as solid as original.
b29ce337f3079866610c098078b6789b.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Kerensky97

Xterra101
Simple ratchet straps work great. If you have the money for fancy ones go for it, but considering the reliability of basic straps and how cheap they are to replace the basics do fine too.
So long as you're not talking about insanely off brand crap plastic straps. I still have some of the budget $15 straps I got back in the 2000s that worked great, the material hadn't deteriorated except for the ones I chewed up in the ratchet mechanism. But since replacements were so cheap I just replaced them all for the heck of it pretty soon after digging them out of the closet, another $15. And I cinched down 20gals of gas, ran it over a bucking trail that was so bumpy it tore a sidewall, and the straps were still perfectly tight and the gas tanks never budged.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
So I picked up a set of the new Expedition Roller Cam straps about a month ago... all I can say is wow.

This is the strap I have been waiting for. I will do a full write up soon as I can get some good pics. I have been using them for a month straight in a variety of applications. They're everything I'd hoped they'd be. Bravo Roller Cam

akpostal

Adventurer
I use NRS straps for most stuff. http://search.nrs.com/search/?p=Q&w=straps

When I need new straps I'll probably get a set of security straps like the Yakima Ripcord so I can use the same key. Thule and some other manufactures make versions of them as well. If I wasn't cheap I'd go ahead and get a set since it'd be easier than running a cable through the boats; I guess there's something to be said for having a visible cable and lock too I guess.

I use NRS straps as well. They hold my spare in the cab and when I have my small raft they tie it to the roof.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I did discover that the larger ratchet strap buckle vibrates in the wind so I have stopped using them, although they do secure the boxes well.

Boston90

I picked up a set of four off Amazon called Kashton brand for $25 or so. Both ends have clips on the hooks and it came with four soft straps. I like using the soft straps on the oem rack on my truck since the diameter of the tubing was too big for regular straps I found at HD. The clips + soft straps adds a little piece of mind.

Superduty

Adventurer
The NRS straps are nice. However, the rollercam straps are the next step up. Another vote for the rollercam straps.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Do cargo nets stop things from bouncing around on rough trails? Not sure about that.
I use cam straps and eye bolts into the FR rack. Almost anything up there is bolted to the rack and secured with wing nuts, no bouncing or rattles. Just light stuff, although occasionally extra petrol cans that are fixed into a bracket system that I fabricated.

luckyjoe

Adventurer
I generally use rope. I keep a few lengths (along with a selection of ratchet straps) in my tie down bag. I can rig rope to hold anything, and if needed I supplement with the straps. With rope you need to know your knots and when to use them, for straps and rope you also need to know their weight limitations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles