Socks

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
Costco sells merino wool trail socks, 4 pack for $12. As good as any of the expensive name brand socks I’ve used. Medium weight, food cushioning, and the elastic doesn’t wear out. Bought 4 packs (16 pairs) because I wasn’t sure how long they’d last. After 2-3years I still haven’t opened some of them because they haven’t worn out.

fiddypal

Adventurer
Costco sells merino wool trail socks, 4 pack for $12. As good as any of the expensive name brand socks I’ve used. Medium weight, food cushioning, and the elastic doesn’t wear out. Bought 4 packs (16 pairs) because I wasn’t sure how long they’d last. After 2-3years I still haven’t opened some of them because they haven’t worn out.
Darn tough's are expensive but your paying for the lifetime warranty that comes with them. As long as you dont lose them, you have socks for life.

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
True, but for the same price as 1 pair of Darn Tough's I can have 8 pairs of costco socks, which judging by their durability so far is probably 2 lifetimes worth. I haven't personally tried Darn Tough but I have tried Smart Wool, Ice breaker, and a few other brands and I honestly can't tell the difference in quality on any of them.

I wonder how many people actually use the lifetime warranty for a pair of socks. I've had a few product with lifetime warranty, but I can't remember a time where I've actually gone through the trouble of returning anything.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Do the Costco merino's come in various cuts and weights, or just one style?
Whatever they get by the boatload.
I'm a 14 wide ----- I've found they sell socks that fit poorly and socks that fit worse. Usually just two sizes, a men's and a ladies'. My wife likes them though.

downhill

Adventurer
Costco socks are good for the price, but my beef with them is that the dye lots are all screwed up. They have a dozen "shades of gray/black/blue/brown" that are just barely different. Matching them up after washing is a pain in the butt. I finally quite trying and just wore mismatched socks. A few years ago I discovered Darn Tough, and tossed all the Costco socks as they wore out. I'm not even close to wearing out a darn tough sock yet.

PKayser

I work in the construction industry so I'm wearing boots everyday and used to wear out socks very fast. For some reason I'd end up blowing out the big toe and wearing out the heal in just a few months. A friend got me a couple pairs of Darn Toughs maybe 5 years ago. I still have those plus about a dozen more that I've bought on my own. I don't quite know how the make the material so durable and still be comfortable.

A huge plus, at least for me is that Darn Tough owns their own mill and makes their product in house and in the USA. To a lot of people that doesn't mean much. But whenever I have the opportunity to support an American manufacture, I generally will, provided the product is of equal quality and isn't obscenely overpriced.

I browsed the Stance website and it truly looks like an amazing place to work. They have basketball courts, volleyball, and what appears to be a skate park. The one thing I noticed missing from all of the galleries was any picture of the manufacturing process. I also noticed that there's no mention of where the manufacuring is. Now, it's possible that they are made in the USA and I just missed that. If so, maybe the web designers should think about making that a more prominent thing on the website.

RyanT

Bookmarking this thread... just decided that I'm going to optimize my sock game. Over the last 2 years, I have been wearing the same T-shirt every day (I have 5 of them), and have absolutely loved it. Also have a standardized pair of jeans. Socks will be next.

Etzu

Stay away from wigwam. They seem to stretch out very quickly. Have half a dozen pairs, all stretched out. I got the ones with extra padding in the heel and shin so it would be comfy in motorcycle boots.

Cayuse

Observer
Rohner are great socks but somewhat difficult to find.

Point 6 is has become my go to brand and I've been happy with the durability.

Darn Tough and Smartwool are both great products as well and I have some of those in the collection as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste