Living Out of My 2000 LX 470

braves0six

Need advice and suggestions.

I would like to move into my LX 470, and I'm a bit overwhelmed with what I need to do to make this happen. I've used this thread for inspiration: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/77938-Lexus-LX470-Rear-Cabin-Conversion?highlight=LX470

Mechanically I've had it worked on at Toy Car Care South of Denver in Centennial. The following has been done since I purchased a year ago:

Timing Belt
Replace Waterpump & T-Stat
Replace Surp. Drive Belt
Repack Wheel Bearings
Replace Both Cam Seals
Replaced Starter
Brakes
Valve Cover Gaskets
Steam Clean Engine
Spark Plugs

They told me the vehicle is in great shape after having all of that completed, but if there is anything else I should pay attention please let me know.

What should be my focus for making the vehicle livable?
Extra Power?
Power Supply?
Storage?
Water?
Water storage?
Insulation? (I'm in Denver)
Refrigerator?
Cooking?

My main goal is to have a safe place to sleep. I won't be spending much time in the vehicle other than sleep.

I'm not worried about bathing. There are showers at my gym and at my work. This forum has been helpful, but I find myself going down the rabbit hole from thread to thread. I wanted to start my own thread to try and get as much information as I could in one spot. I'm sure there are plenty of threads on this topic so feel free to point me to those if you know of any.

Attachments

• IMG_3836.jpg
    IMG_3836.jpg
    578.2 KB · Views: 53
Are you planning a platform conversion to allow for comfortable sleeping, as in the linked thread? How are you set for tools and work space while you undertake the conversion? It seems making your LX into a rolling apartment will require having everything dialed in.

braves0six

Are you planning a platform conversion to allow for comfortable sleeping, as in the linked thread? How are you set for tools and work space while you undertake the conversion? It seems making your LX into a rolling apartment will require having everything dialed in.

Great question. I have the work space, but I am limited with tools. I have a few friends that are pretty set with tools that would be willing to help me out when needed. I do like the platform conversion as it allows for the storage underneath. But I'm honestly not looking for the most glamorous set up either. I don't plan on living in the vehicle for years. I just want something safe and comfortable that has the necessities.

braves0six

You might want to talk to this guy first :)

HAHA! That was a great article. The whole having no responsibilities and traveling seems like a great life on Instagram. Luckily, I'm not quitting my job to live the "van life". I'm mostly just sick of paying rent prices in Denver and will never be able to afford a home if I keep paying these prices. Ideally I would only be living in the LX for half a year or so until I figure out my next move in life.

v_man

Explorer
If you can do without them, just remove the 2nd row seats. Saves you over 100 pounds and gives you about 5'x7' of interior space behind the front seats.

Also remember that if you lock yourself in the LX, and then go to open the locked door from the inside at some point, you will set the alarm off which will cause you to fumble around in the dark to locate your keys to turn alarm off...

REDONE

[s]hard[/s]MEDIUM Core!
I sold a futon on offerup a few weeks ago. Listed it for $80, willing to take $50. I was offered $100 to deliver it to a tarp shelter under I-25. Young couple, both with jobs, same idea as you, only sans a car to live in. Worst part is that it's not families buying all the homes, it's BANKS who turn around and rent them out at stupid high prices.

You'll need a PO box. Your bank and insurance and all that needs a place to go where you can get it. If you have friends that will receive your mail that's great, but they probably don't realize the risk they're taking on by letting you do that.
You'll probably want a storage locker too. As mentioned, you'll have a lot more room if you pull the rear seat, but you might need it in the future. If you have a friend to store it that's great too, until he/she is cleaning the garage and wants it gone NOW.

I hit a rough patch when I lived in WA and had to live out of the Suburban I owned at the time for 3 weeks (in the parking lot of the factory I worked in). The biggest thing I wasn't prepared for was there's nothing to do. Physically exhausted from work, but too much time to sleep, too dark to read and no power for electronics. Summer here in Denver might be different, but under the perpetual darkness of the PNW in September, it wasn't pleasant.

Good luck!

JDHFJ40

I hate to hear this story. My first thought is to say "I am sorry you are having to make this decision" but I realize that I have no idea what struggles you have had getting to this point in your life. I know people become homeless for many different reasons and many are because they have exhausted all other options such as living with family, getting a roommate, RV, etc. I also can't imagine loving an area (locale) enough to be willing to stay there and endure homelessness, albeit brief, just to continue to live there more. I think I would prefer moving somewhere else temporarily instead of living in a car. Here in the Southeast US, you can rent an apartment for $600 or so, two bedroom for not much more and split it with someone else. If it's a temporary situation, you can live in a motel or hotel, utilities included for $130-150 per week? is it nice? No. Is it a better alternative than sleeping in a car on the streets and showering in a gym? I would think so.

I am not judging your situation, and I have no idea whether you are 18 years old or 60. I also know that a 2000 LEXUS LX470 is no where near an economical vehicle or why that would be a choice of home base. It just saddens me to think that someone, with the ability to work, only has a vehicle as their fallback position.

You will be in my prayers and I hope your situation is simply temporary and one that you can quickly bounce back from.

Since you are in the Denver area, are there any ranches that may trade work for room and board? I know Denver is not exactly Rural but I have Elk hunted within a few hours of Denver and lots of outfitters, ranch owners, etc. are around. I can't imagine that your career is such that you couldn't pick up and move, at least temporarily.

Good luck to you and I hope everything works out for you. :(

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I think the above answers cover it. How hard will it be being alone with yourself? Will you end up at restaurants/bars/etc to kill time and be social costing you your savings.
I have seen milk crate and wood top platforms work great for folks, so no concern on woodworking skills!
Your cloths of a bar hanging down the side or over your feet will help hide your presence. I would build the platform as half the side and add a toilet for middle of the night needs, an old Nalgene takes care of number 1, but sometimes you need more!
Cooking meals is more dependent on your tastes, a simple single burning and easy meals work for me, others require far more side dishes, etc.
Water, simple water jugs from stores would be fine, I like the 2.5 gallon rectangle with a spout. Then bring "home" a full Nalgene each night from work.
I would not worry about extra power, just take your stuff into work and charge during the day.

Good luck!

chadwicksavage

Adventurer
Have you considered trying to buy a tiny home instead of converting the lx? It would provide shelter for sure. Also do you have the ability to work remotely via the web?

SheepnJeep

Not naysaying you, I have been in your situation before. I lived in my own little hobo camp outside of Fairbanks in the fall for a couple weeks. It was okay because the mosquitos were dead for the year! Otherwise it was kind of tough. It rained many days, and not being prepared I didn't have a topper for my little Toyota pickup. I slept in the back under a tarp. Then in the morning I would get a fire going and cook/wash up before work. Thank god I had a wool coat or I would have froze to death. What people say about being bored is really true. Fortunately I had access to books etc.

Anyways. Have you thought of the possibility of getting a little camper or just a little cargo trailer? It would change things around from 'existing' to being comfortable in the evening. Then you could set up a real bed and have space to cook without risking starting your car on fire. When things turn around for you then sell the trailer. I know it's maybe money you don't want to spend. Although with a little searching you might be able to find something somebody was trying to pass along cheaply. Or maybe a friend has a camper they could loan you? Just a thought anyway.

As far as sleeping in the car, I also recommend removing the rear seats and setting up at least a cot with a warm pad. Then your stuff can go underneath it. Having taken a few road trip naps in SUVs in my day it can be impossible to sleep comfortably on the floor with loose gear piled up around...

v_man

Explorer
I didn't get the impression that this was a down-on-your-luck story or that the OP was looking for sympathy...In grad school I slept in a Honda Accord for about 4 months in a little college town. I don't refer to it as 'living in my car' because all I really did was sleep in there.

The biggest challenges were not showering or bathroom or food etc...It was, as listed above, boredom in the evenings and the possibility of getting hassled by law enforcement. To the OP I would figure out what the local policy is around people sleeping in cars. Some municipalities are fine with it, some have cracked down on it for this very reason, because cost-of living is rising in so many areas and more and more people are choosing to sleep in vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke