ThermaCell

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Anybody ever tried these mosquito repellers?

My little girls get eat up every time they think about going outside. I'd really like for this thing to work, but I'm betting it won't...

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Follow up:

I went ahead and bought one, and haven't really had a chance to test it much.

However, my two little mosquito-magnets wanted to paint pumpkins last.

I set 'em up on the patio, with the ThermaCell going, after dark, with the porch light on, no other repellant, and I didn't see a single flying insect. That's very, very unusual at my house.

This evening I'll inspect the magnets for new bites, but I didn't see any this AM when getting them dressed.

I'm not ready to tout it as the best thing since sliced bread, but I am cautiously optimistic at this point.

And, yes, I did use my 2- and a 4-year-old daughters as lab rats. :)

RedRocker

Adventurer
Lynn said:
Follow up:

I went ahead and bought one, and haven't really had a chance to test it much.

However, my two little mosquito-magnets wanted to paint pumpkins last.

I set 'em up on the patio, with the ThermaCell going, after dark, with the porch light on, no other repellant, and I didn't see a single flying insect. That's very, very unusual at my house.

This evening I'll inspect the magnets for new bites, but I didn't see any this AM when getting them dressed.

I'm not ready to tout it as the best thing since sliced bread, but I am cautiously optimistic at this point.

And, yes, I did use my 2- and a 4-year-old daughters as lab rats. :)

Hey, better them than you!!:xxrotflma

Chris

Adventurer
I am an old high powered magnet when it comes to the skeeters. It makes for some good fire side stories. Spending time counting the pesky bites while listening to my wife laugh louder as the count goes up.

Anyway, until just recently I treated the only effective repellant I ever had as gold because they stopped making it. I have only a few drops left and have been savoring it since the mid eighties. Now this little thing you ask about is the coolest most effective repellant I have ever found, and they have it in a larger lantern size that I use in the van. She still laughs at me because now I usually set it up and put the other one on before setting up camp.

I am a skeeter magnet and can sympathize with anyone who is.

GREAT BUY I think your little ones will enjoy it

I do have an underlying fear they will discontinue the little blue pads for something new and improved.....I own boxes of them LOL

enjoy and let me know how they work for you in the high skeeter seasons/areas.

:clapsmile

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
Chris said:
Anyway, until just recently I treated the only effective repellant I ever had as gold because they stopped making it. I have only a few drops left and have been savoring it since the mid eighties.
How about sharing what that is?

JP

Chris

Adventurer
Ahhh sorry, really its no secret just that the juice had an effect on the printing on the bottle along with wear and tear almost the entire label has come off.

honestly if I could read or remember the name of the stuff I would print it in caps hoping someone would recognize it. It truly was the best, just one or two drops was all it took for two or three days providing no swimming or showers. Even a light rain was ok. I will take a pic and post it. If I could get my hands on just one more bottle of this I sure would be an even happier camper.

thanks for asking

:smilies27

FlagRS

Gone to the dogs.
Thread Resurrection

I'm looking for some feedback on those that have used this product at higher elevations, above 8,000 feet and up to 10,500. Any problems with ignition or keeping the repeller going at higher elevation? Last summer up in the San Juans we had some skeeters or gnats give us trouble at the campsite.

Thx

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I haven't used mine at higher altitudes but it works great for me as long as the wind isn't strong.

THATSALEXUS?

Adventurer
I used mine with no problem all along the Rubicon. but I think that's only 6,000-7,000 feet. Wind is definitely not your friend, but I found it really worked great inside the vehicle and me sitting on the tailgate or near the tailgate area and the dogs in the back. Kind of like the only place for the vapors to go was out the back of the rig, creating a personal serenity zone.

FlagRS

Gone to the dogs.
I sent my question to Thermacell and they replied: "Currently our devices work best below 4500 ft. Our new backpacker model, coming out this year will work above 4500ft"

Looks like some retailers have the Backpacker model available. And it uses generic camping threaded gas canisters with a 7/16ths UNEF thread instead of the propitiatory butane cartridge the other models use. The propane and butane fuel could be why it works better at higher altitudes. I think I will give this a try.

bp.jpg

dms1

Explorer
If you search for Thermacell on youtube, there are videos on how to refill the Thermacell butane canisters (not the backpacking canister shown above) and you can also purchase alternative and more affordable matts called ARS MAT12 on ebay. Check out River Rat Outdoors on You Tube.

YMMV

FlagRS

Gone to the dogs.
If you search for Thermacell on youtube, there are videos on how to refill the Thermacell butane canisters (not the backpacking canister shown above) and you can also purchase alternative and more affordable matts called ARS MAT12 on ebay. Check out River Rat Outdoors on You Tube.

YMMV

Thanks - There are some informative Thermacell YouTubes out there. Fortunately my exposure to skeeters and gnats is pretty minimal, but when it does happen I want to be prepared.

Last edited:

PELAGICHILUX

I live in Florida and skeeters are a way of life down here , with that said i use my Thermacell for a little know spot down here called Mosquito lagoon when im on the hunt for redfish. Its so bad that you can hear a hum from outside the vehicle from so many bugs. It works like a charm for No see Ums and skeeters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz