Lights or portable air

With limited funds at the moment, do I do Lights or Air

• Light bars and hood lights ($$$$)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MOguy

Explorer
I have a feeling this is going to get me a time out. I feel like expo portal has turned into the autistic society for inbreeds in their moms basement fantasizing about how bad *** they are. Jumping jessus on a pogo stick. All I am asking is, if given a set amount of funds, when both products will eventually be bought, which should come first for a shake down trip on a new vehicle to figure out what all else it will need, or not need.

I get it. Ebay lights are cheap.
I get it, other parts are really important too.
I get it that your 1982 rust o bucket running chinese walmart whatever stops, turns and illuminates the first 5 feet in front of you. Congratulations.

Holy ****. Read the god damn first post. Lights or air? Not which lights or which air? or hey should I buy new tires or a radio or what not.

The sign up form for these groups should have a reading comprehension test you have to pass before you get admitted on.
If you don't want other's opinions don't ask for them, just find a vendor and buy whatever you want. If you get your felling hurt and insulting others make you feel good, that's fine if it helps.

Check out the cheapo lights on my 79 rust bucket. They illuminate for well over 8 feet in front of me.
attachment.php

Last edited:

Wilbah

Adventurer
pretty simple really.

LEDs simply do not have the long reach. Baja racers go fast. In order to NOT outrun their lighting, they need long reaching lights.

So, do you plan on 80MPH runs off road?

I know I sure the hell dont.

I suggested it simply as a cheaper way to get both air and lights given the OP comment about feeling he had to choose one versus the other.

Not sure I agree that LED's don't get the distance always but for the better ones they are more expensive

http://www.kchilites.com/downloads/.../kc_hilites_gravity_daylighter_data_sheet.pdf

versus the Daylighter driving and spot

http://www.kchilites.com/downloads/dl/file/id/42/product/499/data_sheet_daylighter_driving_130w.pdf
http://www.kchilites.com/downloads/...ata_sheet_daylighter_long_range_spot_130w.pdf

Rigid states the lux at 10m but I cant seem to find the same type of output chart so I don't have an easy way to compare them all.

No I don't do 80 through the woods at night but I do know the Daylighter spread beam driving lights are very handy even when you're going lesser speeds. For me seeing a moose sooner is a good thing, and that holds true even if I am doing 35-40 on a logging road. Given my druthers (and if $ were no object!) I would go with the HID Carbon pods at KC. But for someone trying to decide between two important tool choices (lights versus air) I wanted to offer a way to do both if possible, and do so within the budget constraints he outlined.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Dewalt, Ridgid (Home Depot's tool brand, not the Rigid lighting company), and other companies are making battery-powered pancake compressors now. You should look into them before going with the ARB.
By the time you add spare batteries and a car charger, you are up to the price of an ARB portable or beyond. And you will need spare batteries and a charger because those compressors go thru batteries in a hurry.

Re the prior comment about the Dewalt impact having a hard time with lug nuts, that does not compute. The old full-size Dewalt cordless impact in the 18V version generates 300 pounds feet of torque. The lug specs on my half-ton and 3/4 ton trucks range from 120-140 p/f and my Dewalts have no problem with any of them. Dewalt also makes a smaller 18V and 20V 1/2" anvil impact wrench that is similar to a 1/4" impact driver, but with an anvil instead of a chuck. I have used that small one on my GMC trucks (lug spec at 140) and it worked.

Re lights, LEDs generally don't have the reach of halogens or HIDs, but they are great for very broad lighting at shorter to medium ranges. I have several LED bars from Morimoto, Vision-X, and Ridgid, but they can't yet replace my Hella halogens for fast driving or for negotiating my way out of remote areas when I'm sorta lost at night. Best solution (not the cheapest) seems to be a good set of halogens or HIDs plus a decent LED bar. That's what I have on the PW and it works just fine (but I wish I had HIDs instead of the halogens).

Last edited:

Wilbah

Adventurer
Re the prior comment about the Dewalt impact having a hard time with lug nuts, that does not compute. The old full-size Dewalt cordless impact in the 18V version generates 300 pounds feet of torque. The lug specs on my half-ton and 3/4 ton trucks range from 120-140 p/f and my Dewalts have no problem with any of them. Dewalt also makes a smaller 18V and 20V 1/2" anvil impact wrench that is similar to a 1/4" impact driver, but with an anvil instead of a chuck. I have used that small one on my GMC trucks (lug spec at 140) and it worked.

Re lights, LEDs generally don't have the reach of halogens or HIDs, but they are great for very broad lighting at shorter to medium ranges. I have several LED bars from Morimoto, Vision-X, and Ridgid, but they can't yet replace my Hella halogens for fast driving or for negotiating my way out of remote areas when I'm sorta lost at night. Best solution (not the cheapest) seems to be a good set of halogens or HIDs plus a decent LED bar. That's what I have on the PW and it works just fine (but I wish I had HIDs instead of the halogens).

It's the full size 18v DeWalt. I was surprised too. But not the first time I've heard of it either. I do need to check it with properly torqued bolts as I said but figured I would mention it as I'm not sure yet.

Yeah the halogens just work, and are very reasonable for the light they throw. I'm glad to see the developments in LED but for me halogens still make the most sense for distance (even if I'm not doing 80...). And yeah those HID's are insanely bright, but you pay for that as well for sure.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I have a feeling this is going to get me a time out. I feel like expo portal has turned into the autistic society for inbreeds in their moms basement fantasizing about how bad *** they are. Jumping jessus on a pogo stick. All I am asking is, if given a set amount of funds, when both products will eventually be bought, which should come first for a shake down trip on a new vehicle to figure out what all else it will need, or not need.

I get it that your 1982 rust o bucket running chinese walmart whatever stops, turns and illuminates the first 5 feet in front of you. Congratulations.

Holy ****. Read the god damn first post. Lights or air? Not which lights or which air? or hey should I buy new tires or a radio or what not.

The sign up form for these groups should have a reading comprehension test you have to pass before you get admitted on.

You asked a moronic newb question so you got what you deserve.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer

...Kind of sorry that I posted any responses...
Waste of my time...

This ain't a group... its a board (historically known as a Bulletin Board) with all levels of folks seeking information often without joining or asking a particular question...

fifty

Adventurer
If you don't want other's opinions don't ask for them, just find a vendor and buy whatever you want. If you get your felling hurt and insulting others make you feel good, that's fine if it helps.

Check out the cheapo lights on my 79 rust bucket. They illuminate for well over 8 feet in front of me.
attachment.php
And you have outed yourself from your basement

steelhd

Observer

Good gawd man. If you had actually learned anything as you profess you would know intuitively that its air before lights. You can always slow down but you are a fool to go without air.
299x223px-ll-52e196e1_lighten_up_francis.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles