Lights or portable air

With limited funds at the moment, do I do Lights or Air

• Light bars and hood lights ($$$$)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

fifty

Adventurer
hey guys, Im in a bit of a conundrum. Im starting from scratch again on this truck and Ive learned a few things about what I do and don't want from the last.

On board air vs portable air:
There is a prefabbed mount for the arb dual compressor that sits in the engine bay of my truck, but then you either need a real long hose, or plumb lines and have outlets somewhere on the truck. Not to mention wiring things and a switch etc.

I had two compressors on my last truck, a single arb for the lockers and a extreme air magnum with a tank for the tires, tools and anything else. I will never do that again. So much maintenance and leaks and problems. And its always whn your out and about One little twig and your leaking, one bit of dust and your fittings dont work. No thank you, Im done. Been there done that.

So I am looking into the Arb portable dual compressor box. I am going to get the dual, simply because it will more easily run a tool if needed, but also will fill 37+ tires that friends run. Better to get them home before dark than caravan at night.

So my conundrum is this $830 compressor or adding lights.

I have a chevy colorado zr2 which comes with not horrible headlights and no fog lamps. The factory accessory roof lights are stupid expensive for what you get because the require a dealer install due to bcm programming and all the dealers here say they wont just do the programming. Even if they did, its $1850 for two 7 inch rigid lights.

So when I add lights, it will be a 30 inch bumper mount light bar and a pair of hood/cowl/ditch lights. I plan on Baja designs brackets and lights and a Spod SE system. This will end up being about the same price as the factory pieces, but offer tons more light and allow expansion for other lights/things.

Problem is, I am almost to the amount for the lights. hopefully at the first of next month I will have the full discretionary funds for the lights etc.
I can do the compressor now...but that will put the lights off another two months should nothing pop up.

And then there is the wife. Will she let me do lights or compressor...or both... lets say she cracks down... Which is more important?

I plan on the mojave road before summer, and I have a feeling it will be before I can get both. (I doubt my missus is going to have a moment of generosity and increase my toy allowance)

Last edited:

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
You can simplify your compressor situation by getting the ARB twin portable, and then just removing it from the box and hard mounting it on the prefab mount that is already in the engine bay. The compressor has its own power switch and pressure switch, so all you have to do is screw it down and connect the leads to your battery. No other plumbing or wiring required. Carry a 25' or 50' 1/4" polyurethane hose and you are good to go for your truck or anything you can get close to. And a hose won't take up very much of the limited space in that truck.

For the lights, the cheapest upgrade would be to replace the bulbs, but the viability of that depends on what your factory lights will take. You could also fit your light bar and just put some cheap Chinese lights on it until you can get the good stuff. Poke around the Transportation Lighting section on CandlePowerForums for ideas on how to upgrade your factory lights. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?85-Transportation-Lighting

fifty

Adventurer
I thought the switch fornthat compressor kit was on a mount in the box. Not that it couldn't be relocated easy enough.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I thought the switch fornthat compressor kit was on a mount in the box. Not that it couldn't be relocated easy enough.
Switch is in the box, but it's already wired. Just move it with the compressor and screw it down to something. I have an ARB single portable that I bought for my Tundra. It's going on a mount between the grill and the radiator, as soon as I fab the mount. Would have bought a twin, but not enough space. That way the compressor is always with me, and it does not take up any usable space.

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
For the Mojave road you don't really need either of them. You can do the whole road in a stock vehicle with no mods and be completely fine.

If it's a matter of not having the budget for both, a $60 portable compressor and $40 lightbar works just fine.

If you want a reason to buy something, just flip a coin.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
..If you go off road an air compressor to air the tires back up....
If you only crawl malls go for lights.

Personally; if its a street/on road, truck you don't need either (but want is a different animal).

Enjoy!

Airmapper

Inactive Member
You are paying way too much for those items. I have 3 light bars and a compressor, bet I have under $150 in all of it. It all works well, been airing up tires and blinding people for quite some time.

shifty98

Observer
I wouldn't focus on high end of either. You can buy light bars off amazon pretty cheap and a you can get plenty of compressor for $100 too. That will buy you time to figure out what you actually need. In the spirit of the dilemma though I would say compressor. If you actually go anywhere off pavement, you will want to air down, which means that you will have to air up once you hit that dreaded hard stuff (I think they call it pavement) again.

MOguy

Explorer
For the Mojave road you don't really need either of them. You can do the whole road in a stock vehicle with no mods and be completely fine.

If it's a matter of not having the budget for both, a $60 portable compressor and $40 lightbar works just fine.

This/\ Why waste money if you don't have to.

As fair as trail air and tools? Unless you have already invested in air tools get battery operated ones. There are battery operated tools that perform very well know. Even with great air tools you will need one hell of an onboard air set up to run them as they should be run. If air tools are what you choose to use on the trail get a belt driven air compressor.

Last edited:

fifty

Adventurer
I have been slowly replacing all my air stuff with Milwaukee m18 stuff in the garage. It’s been great.

As for Mojave Road, that’s just the first trip. A kind of shake down for the truck, me after all the surgeries and the new internal metal, and the wife with the toddler. There will be more and more. But what and how crazy will be based off what we learn of our current status in life.

I remember on my old truck everyone scoffed at on board air and f/r lockers. Can’t tell you how many times it got us out even when aired down.

And speaking of the air, 4 37’s in really cold wet weather and really hot weather made that big extremeair magnum worth it. But I won’t do on board plumbing again.

As for lights... yeah... it’s tough. Seeing is important, and from what I’m seeing in person, one of those higher end bars lights outs out more light than 3 of the cheap ones.
Problem is, the three cheap ones combined are still cheaper than the one expensive one...

Someone suggested looking at the puma compressor as it’s significantly cheaper and pushes good air. I can easily build a cheap tool box for it.

MOguy

Explorer
I have been slowly replacing all my air stuff with Milwaukee m18 stuff in the garage. It's been great.

As for Mojave Road, that's just the first trip. A kind of shake down for the truck, me after all the surgeries and the new internal metal, and the wife with the toddler. There will be more and more. But what and how crazy will be based off what we learn of our current status in life.

I remember on my old truck everyone scoffed at on board air and f/r lockers. Can't tell you how many times it got us out even when aired down.

And speaking of the air, 4 37's in really cold wet weather and really hot weather made that big extremeair magnum worth it. But I won't do on board plumbing again.

As for lights... yeah... it's tough. Seeing is important, and from what I'm seeing in person, one of those higher end bars lights outs out more light than 3 of the cheap ones.
Problem is, the three cheap ones combined are still cheaper than the one expensive one...

Someone suggested looking at the puma compressor as it's significantly cheaper and pushes good air. I can easily build a cheap tool box for it.

It is all about sacrifices. if you want to sacrifice money you can get great stuff.

I have KC lights that were the top of the line back in the day, and they served me well. Now my set of $25 of LEDs performs much better then the old KCs did and have held up. I know KC has more modern high end lights that will out perform me cheap LEDs which out performed my high end KCs light from the past. How much light will you really need?

I have a nice high dollar ARB compressor for my lockers. It is a smaller older ARB but still works great, but not enough of a compressor for tires. I have a $70 MV-50 that has worked great for years. Not as fast as a higher dollar one but how often will you be air up and down, how big are the tires you will be running? People I wheel with have higher dollars setup but we usually be are BSing when we are airing up. If I hustle more and BS less I will probably finish up airing before they do anyway.

I would rather lay out bigger dollars for shocks if you are going to be traveling at any speed off road.

Last edited:

fifty

Adventurer
Absolutely. I'm willing to sacrifice, or trade other luxuries in life for quality products on my toys. I'll work backwards, this Colorado has some pretty nice shocks on it. These multimatics on the little bit of testing that I have done work damn near as well as my high dollar ADS, maybe even better except they don't have the same travel as my old truck.

Tire size wise, 35's are as big as i will eventually go on this truck, but not until Chevy does their thing later this year to let them fit. Hall racing is coming out with some bolt on stuff to allow it.
I may go with a puma or something less expensive than the arb, it's just such a well engineered system.

But back to lights, the truck from the factory comes with no provisions for fog lights and the head lights rather suck.
They figure younwill buy their factory over cab lights for $2400-2800 installed and it requires the dealer to program the bcm to work. No dealer around here will let me donthe install and they just charge me to do the bcm programming.

It desperately needs lights for anything over 10 mph off-road. Plus I'm getting old... so more is better.
And again, with limited mounting space (kc offers an over cab rack to mount tons of lights but I don't want to drill and rivnut the roof) I want to have the most lighting I can for the space. Ie, better quality lights.

rayra

Expedition Leader

Hear hear. There's VALUE, quality, and 'perceived quality' / fad. Learn the difference. Or at least knowingly decide to spend 10x as much money for not much increase in value.

MOguy

Explorer
Hear hear. There's VALUE, quality, and 'perceived quality' / fad. Learn the difference. Or at least knowingly decide to spend 10x as much money for not much increase in value.
Even if there is truly added value how much better do you need to get. If you are in a race vehicle I can understand having the extra light. If you are extremely impatient I guess you may want to air up faster.

Sometimes it is more about wants than needs, and that is fine if it makes you happy.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
I have the ARB single CKMA12 compressor mounted in my Tundra and love it. It was one of the only things I transferred over from the Xterra when I sold it. I use it all the time. The hose is long enough to reach from the front right corner of the engine bay where the compressor is mounted back to the rear left tire. I also have airbags, so I like having the air on board to adjust them as well.
If I did it over again, I'd purchase the dual ARB. My single ARB doesn't have too much issue filling up my 295's, though the dual ARB would fill them even quicker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne